Re: Sweet Adelaide

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

      > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

      No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg

      (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)

      "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
      evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.

      Lynn
    • Rachel Titley
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?
        > >

        > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
        >
        > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
        >
        > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
        > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
        >
        > Lynn

        Ah, now I know Sweet Caroline (I'm too young, but my Mum isn't).
      • Vyolet
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
          Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

          I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
          drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
          barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

          Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
          when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

          > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
          >
          > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
          >
          > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
          > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
          >
          > Lynn
        • Diana Williams
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
            Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

            Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

            Diana W.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
              On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

              > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
              > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
              > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

              Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
              is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

              Nancy Kaminski
            • Russ
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
                and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
                person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
                Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

                Classic comedy!

                Wow that brings back memories. LOL

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
                referenced in the original post.

                > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
                was usually sung by a
                > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
                been used as a
                > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
                >
                > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
                movie or cartoon instance
                > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
                >

                > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
                > >
                > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                > >
                > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                > >
                > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                > >
                > > Lynn

              • beatlefanfcb
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                  Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

                  Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
                  have never heard of this as a drinking song.

                  Frank Caesar Branchini
                  Edgewater, MD USA