Re: [torchwood] Sweet Adelaide

  • Pamela Silva
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
      I was just wondering, Dean, is this with the new Dr.Who? And have you guys in UK seen the last of the David Tenet Dr.Who specials they were suppose to do with him?
      We haven't here in the US. Sorry, I am behind. Any hints on the new Dr.Who?

      Pamela Silva

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        The drunken refrain is 'Sweet Adeline'.

        Sent from my iPhone by Bonnie Harris
      • Rachel T
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          I have to say, I've never heard the drunken refrain, maybe they haven't either?

        • Lynn
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

            > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

            No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg

            (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)

            "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
            evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.

            Lynn
          • Rachel Titley
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?
              > >

              > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
              >
              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
              >
              > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
              >
              > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
              > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
              >
              > Lynn

              Ah, now I know Sweet Caroline (I'm too young, but my Mum isn't).
            • Vyolet
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

                I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
                when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                >
                > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                >
                > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                >
                > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                >
                > Lynn
              • Diana Williams
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                  Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

                  Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

                  Diana W.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                    On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                    > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                    > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                    > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                    Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
                    is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

                    Nancy Kaminski
                  • Russ
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                      "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
                      and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
                      person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
                      Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

                      Classic comedy!

                      Wow that brings back memories. LOL

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                      > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
                      referenced in the original post.

                      > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
                      was usually sung by a
                      > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
                      been used as a
                      > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
                      >
                      > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
                      movie or cartoon instance
                      > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
                      >

                      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                      > >
                      > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                      > >
                      > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                      > >
                      > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                      > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                      > >
                      > > Lynn

                    • beatlefanfcb
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                        Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

                        Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
                        have never heard of this as a drinking song.

                        Frank Caesar Branchini
                        Edgewater, MD USA