Re: Sweet Adelaide

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
      Further to my own message, I notice it's Lindsay Duncan's character's name - I'd
      assumed it was the proper new companion's!
    • Chris Elray
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        Firstly Dean .. you may be thinking of "Sweet Adeline" ...

        Sweet Adeline,
        My Adeline,
        At night, dear heart,
        For you I pine;
        In all my dreams,
        Your fair face beams.
        You're the flower of my heart,
        Sweet Adeline.

        Adelaide ... on the other hand, was Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, wife and Queen consort of King William IV of the United Kingdom. And it was her after whom my own South Australian home town of Adelaide was named ..

        A fine name and one to be proud of ..

        Cheers

        Cliff

        To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
        From: deanlkaufman@...
        Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:37:21 +0000
        Subject: [torchwood] Sweet Adelaide

        Hi:

        Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
        announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
        comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
        contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?

        Enquiring minds want to know.

        Dean

      • Pamela Silva
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          I was just wondering, Dean, is this with the new Dr.Who? And have you guys in UK seen the last of the David Tenet Dr.Who specials they were suppose to do with him?
          We haven't here in the US. Sorry, I am behind. Any hints on the new Dr.Who?

          Pamela Silva

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
            The drunken refrain is 'Sweet Adeline'.

            Sent from my iPhone by Bonnie Harris
          • Rachel T
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
              I have to say, I've never heard the drunken refrain, maybe they haven't either?

            • Vyolet
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

                > Hi:
                >
                > Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
                > announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
                > comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
                > contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?
                >
                > Enquiring minds want to know.
                >
                > Dean

              • Lynn
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                  > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                  No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg

                  (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)

                  "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                  evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.

                  Lynn
                • Rachel Titley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                    > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?
                    > >

                    > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                    >
                    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                    >
                    > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                    >
                    > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                    > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                    >
                    > Lynn

                    Ah, now I know Sweet Caroline (I'm too young, but my Mum isn't).
                  • Vyolet
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                      Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

                      I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                      drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                      barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                      Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
                      when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                      > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                      >
                      > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                      >
                      > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                      > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                      >
                      > Lynn
                    • Diana Williams
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                        Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

                        Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

                        Diana W.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                          On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                          > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                          > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                          > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                          Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
                          is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

                          Nancy Kaminski
                        • Russ
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                            "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
                            and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
                            person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
                            Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

                            Classic comedy!

                            Wow that brings back memories. LOL

                            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                            > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
                            referenced in the original post.

                            > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
                            was usually sung by a
                            > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
                            been used as a
                            > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
                            >
                            > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
                            movie or cartoon instance
                            > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
                            >

                            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                            > >
                            > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                            > >
                            > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                            > >
                            > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                            > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                            > >
                            > > Lynn

                          • beatlefanfcb
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                              Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

                              Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
                              have never heard of this as a drinking song.

                              Frank Caesar Branchini
                              Edgewater, MD USA