Re: Sweet Adelaide

  • badblokebob
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
      I must've missed something, where's this been announced?

      *
      *moderator note : on bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090219_news_01
      *

      Don't have a problem with it myself. It's a name, after all, so they could've chosen any
      number of much odder things. I also suspect that real people called Adelaide might object
      to being dismissed as contrived and only reminiscent of a drunken refrain (personally, I
      always think of the city).

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

      > Hi:
      >
      > Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
      > announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
      > comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
      > contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?
      >
      > Enquiring minds want to know.
      >
      > Dean

    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        Further to my own message, I notice it's Lindsay Duncan's character's name - I'd
        assumed it was the proper new companion's!
      • Chris Elray
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          Firstly Dean .. you may be thinking of "Sweet Adeline" ...

          Sweet Adeline,
          My Adeline,
          At night, dear heart,
          For you I pine;
          In all my dreams,
          Your fair face beams.
          You're the flower of my heart,
          Sweet Adeline.

          Adelaide ... on the other hand, was Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, wife and Queen consort of King William IV of the United Kingdom. And it was her after whom my own South Australian home town of Adelaide was named ..

          A fine name and one to be proud of ..

          Cheers

          Cliff

          To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
            I was just wondering, Dean, is this with the new Dr.Who? And have you guys in UK seen the last of the David Tenet Dr.Who specials they were suppose to do with him?
            We haven't here in the US. Sorry, I am behind. Any hints on the new Dr.Who?

            Pamela Silva

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
              The drunken refrain is 'Sweet Adeline'.

              Sent from my iPhone by Bonnie Harris
            • Rachel T
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                I have to say, I've never heard the drunken refrain, maybe they haven't either?

              • Vyolet
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                  I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi:
                  >
                  > Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
                  > announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
                  > comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
                  > contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?
                  >
                  > Enquiring minds want to know.
                  >
                  > Dean

                • Lynn
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                    > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                    No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg

                    (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)

                    "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                    evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.

                    Lynn
                  • Rachel Titley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?
                      > >

                      > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                      >
                      > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                      >
                      > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                      >
                      > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                      > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                      >
                      > Lynn

                      Ah, now I know Sweet Caroline (I'm too young, but my Mum isn't).
                    • Vyolet
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                        Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

                        I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                        drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                        barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                        Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
                        when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                        > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                        >
                        > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                        >
                        > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                        > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                        >
                        > Lynn
                      • Diana Williams
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                          Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

                          Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

                          Diana W.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                            On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                            > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                            > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                            > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                            Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
                            is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

                            Nancy Kaminski
                          • Russ
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                              "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
                              and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
                              person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
                              Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

                              Classic comedy!

                              Wow that brings back memories. LOL

                              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                              > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
                              referenced in the original post.

                              > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
                              was usually sung by a
                              > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
                              been used as a
                              > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
                              >
                              > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
                              movie or cartoon instance
                              > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
                              >

                              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                              > >
                              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                              > >
                              > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                              > >
                              > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                              > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                              > >
                              > > Lynn

                            • beatlefanfcb
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                                Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

                                Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
                                have never heard of this as a drinking song.

                                Frank Caesar Branchini
                                Edgewater, MD USA