Sweet Adelaide

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
      Hi:

      Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
      announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
      comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
      contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?

      Enquiring minds want to know.

      Dean
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
        I must've missed something, where's this been announced?

        *
        *moderator note : on bbc website http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090219_news_01
        *

        Don't have a problem with it myself. It's a name, after all, so they could've chosen any
        number of much odder things. I also suspect that real people called Adelaide might object
        to being dismissed as contrived and only reminiscent of a drunken refrain (personally, I
        always think of the city).

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
        > announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
        > comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
        > contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?
        >
        > Enquiring minds want to know.
        >
        > Dean

      • badblokebob
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
          Further to my own message, I notice it's Lindsay Duncan's character's name - I'd
          assumed it was the proper new companion's!
        • Chris Elray
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
            Firstly Dean .. you may be thinking of "Sweet Adeline" ...

            Sweet Adeline,
            My Adeline,
            At night, dear heart,
            For you I pine;
            In all my dreams,
            Your fair face beams.
            You're the flower of my heart,
            Sweet Adeline.

            Adelaide ... on the other hand, was Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, wife and Queen consort of King William IV of the United Kingdom. And it was her after whom my own South Australian home town of Adelaide was named ..

            A fine name and one to be proud of ..

            Cheers

            Cliff

            To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
              I was just wondering, Dean, is this with the new Dr.Who? And have you guys in UK seen the last of the David Tenet Dr.Who specials they were suppose to do with him?
              We haven't here in the US. Sorry, I am behind. Any hints on the new Dr.Who?

              Pamela Silva

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                The drunken refrain is 'Sweet Adeline'.

                Sent from my iPhone by Bonnie Harris
              • Rachel T
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                  I have to say, I've never heard the drunken refrain, maybe they haven't either?

                • Vyolet
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                    I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

                    > Hi:
                    >
                    > Now that the name of the new companion for the Doctor has been
                    > announced as "Adelaide", the old drunken refrain of "Sweet Adelaide"
                    > comes to mind. Why on Earth would the producers of Who use such a
                    > contrived name with the drunken connotation for this new character?
                    >
                    > Enquiring minds want to know.
                    >
                    > Dean

                  • Lynn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                      > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?

                      No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg

                      (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)

                      "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                      evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.

                      Lynn
                    • Rachel Titley
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I thought that song was "Sweet Adeline." No?
                        > >

                        > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                        >
                        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                        >
                        > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                        >
                        > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                        > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                        >
                        > Lynn

                        Ah, now I know Sweet Caroline (I'm too young, but my Mum isn't).
                      • Vyolet
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                          Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being referenced in the original post.

                          I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                          drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                          barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                          Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a movie or cartoon instance
                          when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?

                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

                          > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                          >
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                          >
                          > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                          >
                          > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                          > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                          >
                          > Lynn
                        • Diana Williams
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 26, 2009
                            Err, It's Sweet Adeline.

                            Adelaide is the name of one of the female leads in "Guys and Dolls", a singer in a nightclub. Adelaide is also my grandmother's name (and oddly enough, she was a singer in a nightclub before her marriage).

                            Diana W.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                              On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Vyolet <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                              > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it was usually sung by a
                              > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have been used as a
                              > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.

                              Yes, "Sweet Adeline" is a barbershop quartet standard. In fact, there
                              is a female quartet locally who are called the Sweet Adelines.

                              Nancy Kaminski
                            • Russ
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                                "Sweet Adeline" was also a CLASSIC skit on I LOVE LUCY, Ricky, Fred
                                and Ethel were doing a barbershop quartet in a barbershop, the 4th
                                person in the chair ended up being Lucy, and she was so horrid that
                                Ricky ended up shoving the shaving cream in her mouth.

                                Classic comedy!

                                Wow that brings back memories. LOL

                                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Vyolet" <soccerryot@...> wrote:

                                > Hee hee! "Sweet Caroline" is probably not the song being
                                referenced in the original post.

                                > I remember "Sweet Adeline" from old cartoons (pre-1960's), and it
                                was usually sung by a
                                > drunken cartoon character(s). And I want to say that it may have
                                been used as a
                                > barbershop quartet parody. For some reason that rings a bell.
                                >
                                > Neil Diamond's song was written in the 1960's. I don't recall a
                                movie or cartoon instance
                                > when that song was used that way. Does anyone else?
                                >

                                > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn" <lynnloschin@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > No :) How about the Neil Diamond song "Sweet Caroline":
                                > >
                                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsUOmqpaeg
                                > >
                                > > (OMG how young are you people not to know this?!?)
                                > >
                                > > "Adelaide" is a somewhat dated but perfectly respectable name. It
                                > > evokes memories of the character from Guys & Dolls.
                                > >
                                > > Lynn

                              • beatlefanfcb
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 27, 2009
                                  Adelaide is a wonderful character from the musical Guys and Dolls.

                                  Sweet Adeline is a song usually associated with barbershop quartets. I
                                  have never heard of this as a drinking song.

                                  Frank Caesar Branchini
                                  Edgewater, MD USA