Questions To Be Asked

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      I am not going to say anything that will give away anything, but
      wonder about them nonetheless.

      You know that Matt Smith is the new Doctor. Is the final special with
      David Tennant going to have Smith show up at the end or will he be
      integral in solving the dilemma showing up much earlier in the special
      than other Doctors have in the past?

      When will Matt Smith's new look for his Doctor be unveiled?

      Are we going to have family of the companion as in past seasons?

      A major prop was recently damaged during the filming of "Planet of the
      Dead". Will it be repaired in time enough for them to make their
      deadline of an Easter broadcast?

      A publicity photo taken from "Planet of the Dead" shows an old
      villain. With all the alien races out there, why are we getting the
      same villains over and over again if this photo is to be believed?

      We know now that an old companion is coming back for one of the
      specials. Won't filming interfere with the actress's new show
      commitments?

      Do you think the Sci Fi Channel or BBC America should buy all specials
      as part of package and air them one week after another? Should they
      wait to air them in the US until it also includes the Matt Smith
      season of 13 episodes?

      When Matt Smith and his new companion are shown in publicity photos as
      being in costume, will they be part of any BBC America or Sci Fi
      Channel press tour in the US where you can see them before the new
      stories air?

      On to Torchwood:

      I read in the press clips that when Freema Agyeman signed to do
      another show, scripts for Torchwood including her character of Martha
      Jones had to be torn up and rewritten and that Russell T. Davies was
      furious.

      If Russell T. Davies did want her as part of the new season of
      Torchwood, why did they not get a legal contract signed to that
      effect? Was their some sort of oral agreement or just telling her to
      keep her options open?

      Torchwood was supposed to premiere in Spring of this year. What
      caused the broadcast delay?

      Does the BBC have plans to make "Lost Souls" more accessible to
      foreign audiences?

      BBC One is airing "Children of Earth" followed almost instantaneously
      by BBC America with commercial showings and cuts for time, language,
      violence, gore (not Al), nudity, sexual situations and political
      incorrectness. Each episode of the five part serial are supposed to
      be one hour each in length. That means without substantial cuts, BBC
      America airing it in an hour time slot means large chunks of each
      episode will end up on the editing room floor. If there is a larger
      time slot on BBC America, there will be less to cut?

      Do you much rather see the uncut versions of the episodes and serial
      or the cut-to-pieces versions BBC America will air?

      If Torchwood is truly a big hit on BBC One, a ten episode season will
      be commissioned. When might Season 4 air and how soon after the
      serial ends will that decision be reached?

      If Martha Jones was to be a big part of this saga, will the new
      version of the tale be hurt by her absence?

      NBC's publicity machine has this e-newsletter called Season Pass.
      There is no mention of "Law and Order" and it is not mentioned as part
      of their programs as if it were just having its episodes dumped on the
      airwaves. Most of the time, if you look in a TV Guide, there is no
      description of the episode on that Wednesday. If NBC is really
      cooling on that show, is Agyeman's new Law and Order show going to be
      likewise ignored by NBC given her popularity in the States?

      In several days, an episode of the new Law and Order show will be
      shown at big event in UK as a precursor I imagine to its broadcast
      start int he UK. Is anybody in the UK on this list going to this
      special screening? If so, tell us all about your thoughts on whether
      Freema made the right career choice or not.

      Hope you like all my thoughts here.

      Dean
      Santa Ana, California USA
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
        Let's see about answering those which I feel I can (others have been deleted for space).

        > You know that Matt Smith is the new Doctor. Is the final special with
        > David Tennant going to have Smith show up at the end or will he be
        > integral in solving the dilemma showing up much earlier in the special
        > than other Doctors have in the past?

        Can't say for definite, obviously, but I think Davies will want to give Tennant an
        unobscured send off, so we won't be seeing Smith on screen until the final moments.

        > When will Matt Smith's new look for his Doctor be unveiled?

        Sometime before any public-place filming begins for series 5, I should imagine. Tennant &
        Piper had a photoshoot on the first day of filming for series 2, which revealed his costume
        iirc, so I should imagine something similar will be done with Smith.

        > A major prop was recently damaged during the filming of "Planet of the
        > Dead". Will it be repaired in time enough for them to make their
        > deadline of an Easter broadcast?

        As all of the expensive organisation of filming (booking crews, flights, locations, etc) will
        have already been done, I imagine the prop in question will either have to be repaired in
        time or the script modified to reflect the damage. This is doubly the case as the filming is
        overseas.

        > A publicity photo taken from "Planet of the Dead" shows an old
        > villain. With all the alien races out there, why are we getting the
        > same villains over and over again if this photo is to be believed?

        Haven't seen this myself, but didn't RTD say there were two new villains in the first
        special?

        > We know now that an old companion is coming back for one of the
        > specials. Won't filming interfere with the actress's new show
        > commitments?

        Has that been confirmed? I only saw rumours. Plus, considering how long ago that show
        began filming and how close to air it is, it's likely already finished filming (after all, it's
        standard practice in the UK to finish a series then air it, rather than continue production
        during broadcast. I believe Doctor Who's effects work makes it something of an
        exception.)

        > If Russell T. Davies did want Freema as part of the new season of
        > Torchwood, why did they not get a legal contract signed to that
        > effect?

        I should imagine they're not 'allowed' to, similar to how in the UK actors are signed to a
        series year-by-year rather than the 5 or 7 year contracts they're locked into in the US. It's
        why many actors leave shows after a year or two over here, whereas in the US they stay
        forever (I expect many stars of US shows would get fed up & leave sooner if they could!)

        > If Torchwood is truly a big hit on BBC One, a ten episode season will
        > be commissioned. When might Season 4 air and how soon after the
        > serial ends will that decision be reached?

        The commission could theoretically come before Children of Earth even airs -- it's far
        from unheard of. Otherwise, I should imagine a recommission would be pretty speedy,
        and filming would depend entirely on the availability of actors, considering Barrowman's
        (in particular) busy schedule.

        > If Martha Jones was to be a big part of this saga, will the new
        > version of the tale be hurt by her absence?

        Some might argue so (we'll have to see how the story goes!), but based on the writing
        methods of RTD & co, even if Martha's backstory was integral to the plot they'll have
        created a new character with an equally appropriate tale -- most probably wouldn't even
        notice the difference. (Note in particular how series 4's companion-to-be Penny was
        basically Donna, but even RTD didn't seem to realise until the possibility of casting Tate
        arose.)

        > If NBC is really
        > cooling on that show, is Agyeman's new Law and Order show going to be
        > likewise ignored by NBC given her popularity in the States?

        I might well be wrong on this, but I think I remember reading there were no plans
        whatsoever to air L&O London in the US? Especially as all episodes are remakes of US ones.

        And that's the lot!
      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
          Dean, your questions are interesting, but I think a number of them seem to assume facts that haven't quite been established.

          Just to address a few....

          >Torchwood was supposed to premiere in Spring of this year. What
          > caused the broadcast delay?

          Why assume there's any cause other than choice? "Spring" was given as an estimate, not a guarantee, and there was never any actual published date.

          >BBC One is airing "Children of Earth" followed almost instantaneously
          > by BBC America with commercial showings and cuts for time, language,
          > violence, gore (not Al), nudity, sexual situations and political
          > incorrectness.

          I hope you mean this as a joke, but if not -- huh? What little BBCA has actually cut for content in the past (as opposed to time) is limited to language and extended sexual situations (e.g., 1x2 and 1x10), which were mildly trimmed. Unless you can point to me where they made cuts for "gore, violence" or "sexual situations and political incorrectness" (double huh? what "political incorrectness" has been on Torchwood?) I think you're making too much of this. The cuts in the past for content have been quite minor.

          Given the nature of this abbreviated season, it seems unlikely that there will be much chance for anything other than a concentrated action-adventure plot. I doubt there will be reason to do much trimming for content.

          >Each episode of the five part serial are supposed to
          > be one hour each in length.

          Do we know that for a fact from a BBC source who's actually said the episodes will be 55-60 minutes, as opposed to 45 minutes?

          > That means without substantial cuts, BBC
          > America airing it in an hour time slot means large chunks of each
          > episode will end up on the editing room floor.

          If the episodes are 60 minutes -- then well, yes, sure. Given BBCA's past history with shows that are a full hour on BBC (Spooks comes to mind), that's precisely what's likely to happen, unless they choose to put Torchwood in a longer time slot.

          > If there is a larger
          > time slot on BBC America, there will be less to cut?

          Well, again, yes. Given their past history, there isn't much reason to believe this is what BBCA will do, however. It would be nice if they made an exception.

          > Do you much rather see the uncut versions of the episodes and serial
          > or the cut-to-pieces versions BBC America will air?

          Pretty obvious answer, but does it really matter what we want? BBCA doesn't seem to care, assuming most audience members won't know any better. It's a real shame that HDNet is no longer showing Torchwood.

          > If Torchwood is truly a big hit on BBC One, a ten episode season will
          > be commissioned. When might Season 4 air and how soon after the
          > serial ends will that decision be reached?

          I would say "might" and we'll know when we always know -- probably when a tabloid leaks it, followed by when BBC announces it. And safe to say it will be at least a year, probably more, before we see anything of season 4, if it happens.

          > If Martha Jones was to be a big part of this saga, will the new
          > version of the tale be hurt by her absence?

          Unlikely, IMO. This is likely to be a plot-driven roller coaster ride. Whatever Martha was to do can therefore be given to another character, and I'm sure rewrites were made appropriately.

          >NBC's publicity machine has this e-newsletter called Season Pass.
          >There is no mention of "Law and Order" and it is not mentioned as part
          >of their programs as if it were just having its episodes dumped on the
          > airwaves. Most of the time, if you look in a TV Guide, there is no
          >description of the episode on that Wednesday. If NBC is really
          >cooling on that show, is Agyeman's new Law and Order show going to be
          >likewise ignored by NBC given her popularity in the States?

          Freema Agyeman is popular in the United States? I don't really think you can make that argument. She is known (by face if not by name) among the relatively small group of Doctor Who fans in the US. If you walked down the street in any major city and asked 1000 people, maybe you'd find 5 who recognized her name. I really wouldn't call her 'popular.' Anyway, according to the information that has actually been around, she's the equivalent of one of the assistant DA's on the US version. She's not the lead.

          I don't think NBC's opinion of the original L&O, whatever it is, will have anything to do with the new UK show. If they decide to air it, it's likely to either be in the summer, or perhaps on one of their cable channels (Bravo is probably the obvious pick; maybe USA). A British show featuring an all British cast essentially unknown to US audiences is not going to get a regular season prime time slot. For one thing, it's only 13 episodes, and for another, next fall, NBC is going to lose 5 hours a week of prime time tv due to their decision to put Jay Leno on at 10 pm EST every night.

          -Lynn