Sarah Jane Season Finale - Spoilers and Review

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2008
      Hi everybody:

      Two more weeks until a new Doctor Who.

      Now on to more pressing matters. When I reviewed the last two
      episodes shown of "The Sarah Jane Adventures", I neglected to mention
      something that really, really bothered me.

      I realize attitudes have changed a great deal over the years as to how
      people treat each other. While I know that there are racist jabs all
      over the world about people and ethnicities, there was what I believe
      to be a racial slur made against the character of Rani Chandra. This
      happened in Part 2 of "The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith. I don't
      know if this passes for an ethnic slur in the UK or once did, but
      hearing it made me cringe. It felt racist. Having grown up through
      the American civil rights movement, it took my attention away from the
      enjoyment of the story hearing how Rani must be from the Punjab. I
      don't know it is a slur or not, but it felt really out of place.

      Monday night, Part 2 aired of "Enemy of the Bane", which has nothing
      to do with the strongman who broke Batman's back. The following
      contains reviews and spoilers for Monday's episode:

      *

      *

      *

      *

      *

      *

      With that out of the way, first some corrections to what I said last
      time. The alien Wormwood and the Sontaran are trying to resurrect is
      called Horath not Horvath. The scroll from the Black Archive, not the
      Dark Archive, is the key to finding the body of Horath. As close as
      as UNIT came to apprehending, the Brigadier, Sarah and Rani, they did
      get away, but UNIT is on their trail.

      Essentially, this episode had a lot of running around. Everybody
      hides for a little bit in the flower shop. Sontaran shows up.
      Wormwood threatens to kill everybody. Luke goes with her to save
      everybody. They go to stone circle like Stonehenge where scroll fits
      neatly into slot. Only Luke can put scroll in slot because he is
      human. Vortex opens. Wormwood betrays Sontaran who gets pissed off
      at her. Clyde gives him weapon. Sontaran charges at Wormwood and
      they both fall into vortex which leads to Horath, who we never get to
      see or meet. Horath may be some sort of computer entity. We might
      yet see Horath if the demand is there. I would not count Wormwood and
      Sontaran out of the running. I believe they will be back. I just
      hope it is a much stronger story. Everybody lives happily ever
      after. The UNIT Major is revealed to be a Bane in disguise who is
      killed by a secret gun the Brigadier has in his cane. With the bad
      major dead, the Brigadier can go back to his wife and freedom.
      Everybody lives happily ever after. Huzzah!

      The strongest story this season had to be "Secrets of the Stars" as it
      dealt with a conflicted villain. Runner-up had to be "The Temptation
      of Sarah Jane Smith" although the Trickster was gotten rid of way too
      easy for my liking.

      This was a piecemeal story that did not deserve to be green lit. I
      would imagine we will see more of Wormwood and that Sontaran. What I
      would like to see in the future for the show are Zygons, more K9 and
      even Sarah meeting other past companions of the Doctor. Having a few
      people pop in from Torchwood would be nice also.

      Thanks for reading.

      Dean
      USA