The Last Two Sarah Jane's - Spoilers and Reviews

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
      Hi there:

      Every Monday for the last few months I have been going to
      Wikipedia.org to read what happened in that night's episode of "The
      Sarah Jane Adventures". The person who has been posting a synopsis
      has been very late in doing so. There was a very big moment in last
      week's episode that is not even mentioned in the episode synopsis. I
      believe it will either impact this Monday's episode or the next
      planned third Series.

      As I stated recently, a large part of the second series of "The Sarah
      Jane Adventures" has dealt with the regret Sarah feels that she grew
      up without her parents. The photo of them is a constant reminder of
      that. What the Wikipedia poster failed to realize about last week's
      episode is that there is an important message on the back of the photo.

      The following contains spoilers and reviews for "The Temptation of
      Sarah Jane Smith" - Part 2 and "Enemy of the Bane" - Part 1. Just
      because I like Torchwood, Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures,
      does not mean I like what they are doing with the show unilaterally.
      The last episode broadcast was abysmal.

      *

      *

      *

      *

      *

      *

      I mentioned how pretty I think newcomer Anjli Mohindra is as The Rani
      Chandra. The last few episodes, it looks like she spent almost no
      time in the makeup chair. She has gone from looking very exotic to
      looking like an ordinary British girl of Pakistani descent. While I
      am not negating her acting ability, I still find it strange how easily
      she accepts all the Sarah Jane saves the world stuff.

      Sarah Jane's parents dies when she was an infant. Why they left her
      behind, Sarah never knew until now. Sarah and Luke go back in time to
      try and stop the Trickster from ending things as we know it on Earth.
      Sarah fixes her parent's car. When the parents figure out that this
      grown woman is their daughter, it is a truly heartwarming moment.

      Everything the parents touch dies as they are meant to die. If the
      Trickster breaks through, he will end the world almost totally. The
      parents decide to do the right thing, drive off, leaving the baby
      Sarah Jane behind. Sarah now knows that her parents died saving the
      world. The Trickster has been defeated most likely forever.

      Rani and Clyde find themselves in an altered present where a Graske
      lords over human slaves, one of which is her mother. They make a deal
      with the Graske to send The Rani Chandra back in time to warn Sarah
      where the Trickster will manifest himself. Getting the box Clyde has
      will free the Graske from slavery to the Trickster. Once time rights
      itself, Clyde gives the box to the Graske and all is happy. Sarah can
      finally set the photo of her parents down and go on with the memory
      that she at least got to spend some time with them.

      Written on the back of the photo in Sarah's writing are the words:

      "MR. SMITH, YOU'RE NEEDED!"

      Sarah Jane Smith is going to be trapped back in time earlier than that
      episode when the photos was taken. How is this going to happen? Will
      it be this series or next one next year? Does anybody here know
      anything about this?

      The last episode was an example of throwing a bunch of stuff at the
      wall and see what sticks or slides to the ground. Unfortunately, too
      much slid to the ground and flies are swarming.

      Somebody had a brilliant idea of bringing back the Bane and Miss
      Wormwood. The actress playing Wormwood played Miss Moneypenny in the
      Pierce Brosnan Bond movies. They said let's also have UNIT. They
      also said let's bring in the that Sontaran from "The Last Sontaran".
      Throw all that together and you might have Who fans drooling. Throw
      in Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart and have them go
      apoplectic.

      This is the plot as I've been led to believe:

      Luke is having dreams of Miss Wormwood appearing to him and calling
      him Luke. She never knew the name Sarah gave him and Luke does not dream.

      The Rani Chandra's mother Geeta runs a florist shop called "Blooming
      Lovely". Miss Wormwood is a customer who pays her with a strange
      check. Wormwood puts Rani's mother into some sort of trance. The
      Rani Chandra goes to Sarah for help and soon they are all on trail of
      Wormwood to a warehouse.

      The Bane are after Wormwood apparently for allowing the Bane mother to
      get killed. I said apparently.

      Wormwood comes to Sarah Jane for help. Geeta is released from her
      trance. Wormwood tells of how the Bane are trying to resurrect this
      nasty alien intelligence known as Horvath. There is this scroll in a
      place called "The Dark Archive", which is UNIT's version of
      Torchwood's big warehouse of alien artifacts. To get at this scroll
      thing, Sarah has to go to an old friend for help. Harry Sullivan.
      Actually, no on that one. Nicholas Courtney is still around and back
      as semi-retired Sir Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart.

      For some reason unknown, the Brigadier breaks all security protocols
      he has pledged his life to to help Sarah and The Rani Chandra get into
      "The Dark Archive". The fact that Sarah and Rani have no clue that
      going in there will put them right in front of surveillance systems is
      forgotten. Before you know it, Rani, Sarah and the Brigadier are
      under arrest. Lethbridge-Stewart has far more common sense than to
      act like that.

      Bane are surrounding Wormwood and are going to kill and eat her, not
      necessarily in that order. The Bane are obliterated and "The Last
      Sontaran" is back working with her to resurrect this Horvath entity so
      they can rule the universe. Didn't anybody ever tell Wormwood that
      Sontarans don't ally themselves with anybody? What this Horvath guy
      can do is beyond me. Whether Sarah gets stuck back in time this
      season or next remains to be seen.

      I have yet to see how things play out on Monday night with the
      conclusion. I have a feeling that Sarah would be better off allying
      herself with the Bane than believing anything Wormwood has to say.
      The Rani Chandra continues looking like Plain Jane.

      The Brigadier is a no-nonsense type of guy. Having him act like an
      idiot does a major disservice to his character. Miss Wormwood was
      also wasted. The first episode came across like a rushed hodgepodge.
      The fact also that UNIT was almost totally obliterated by the Daleks
      was not even broached in this story. How is it that this version of
      UNIT survived? The only real nice touch of continuity to this is
      mention of the Brigadier being in Peru recently.

      What do you think of the mess of this episode? Was it too much of
      nothing?

      Thanks,

      Dean L. Kaufman
      Santa Ana, California USA
    • Russ
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2008
        Personally, I rather enjoyed it. I was so thrilled to see the Brig on
        screen again, I totally ignored the EhUm, bad... and just kicked back
        and thought how amazing it is, 2008, and after all these years... WOW

        Yes, my only thought, was WOW

        I don't even think I paid attention to the dialogue, the story,
        anything...

        Right on my set, in full color, was yet another of my childhood
        hereos brought back to life...

        We are SO lucky

        Peace!!

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
        <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > season or next remains to be seen.
        >
        > I have yet to see how things play out on Monday night with the
        > conclusion. I have a feeling that Sarah would be better off allying
        > herself with the Bane than believing anything Wormwood has to say.
        > The Rani Chandra continues looking like Plain Jane.
        >
        > The Brigadier is a no-nonsense type of guy. Having him act like an
        > idiot does a major disservice to his character. Miss Wormwood was
        > also wasted. The first episode came across like a rushed
        hodgepodge.
        > The fact also that UNIT was almost totally obliterated by the
        Daleks
        > was not even broached in this story. How is it that this version of
        > UNIT survived? The only real nice touch of continuity to this is
        > mention of the Brigadier being in Peru recently.
        >
        > What do you think of the mess of this episode? Was it too much of

      • Joni
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008

          MOD
          I haven't watched the latest ep so I can't speak to that but as far as
          the writing on the picture goes - I'm not sure it's Sarah Jane's.
          It's established early in the episode that Sarah Jane's parents write
          each other notes and slip them to each other. I think Sarah Jane's
          mother wrote that bit on the photo.

          And I'm not convinced Rani is the Rani either. I think they tossed it
          out there to cause some folks to speculate but I'm not buying.

          Joni