BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

  • Michael Waller
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 1, 2008
      BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

      Dec 1 2008 WalesOnline

      The BBC has apologised and admitted today that a live radio show
      during which TV star John Barrowman exposed himself "overstepped the
      mark".

      Barrowman, who lives in Cardiff Bay, performed the act during an
      interview on Radio 1's Switch show yesterday evening, after being
      prompted on the subject.

      The incident comes in the wake of the investigation into the prank
      phone calls made to Andrew Sachs by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand,
      for Brand's Radio 2 show.

      Following the BBC Trust report into the incident, BBC management said
      10 days ago that it was "determined to act on the lessons learnt from
      this incident, in particular to reinforce adherence to the BBC's
      compliance systems.

      "This will be a major priority within the BBC's audio and music division."

      During yesterday's show, presented by Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac,
      Grimshaw asked Barrowman, who has starred in Doctor Who and its
      spin-off Torchwood: "You're famous, we're told for getting your willy
      out in interviews.

      "Is this going to happen today?"

      Barrowman responded by saying he was going to "get it out", amid
      shouting and laughter.

      He was later heard to say: "I didn't take the whole thing out, but I
      got my fruit and nuts out."

      Annie Mac apologised on air at the end of the programme for any
      offence that may have been caused.

      The BBC emphasised that nothing untoward was screened online.

      A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that one complaint had been received.

      She said: "We do feel that the programme overstepped the mark.

      "We acknowledge this and apologised at the end of the live programme."
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
        How ridiculous. I think this shows the sad state of affairs we'll now
        have to cope with from the BBC in the wake of the Brand/Ross/Sachs
        rubbish.

        Barrowman, famous for exposing himself during interviews, is asked by
        two adults if that's true, says it is, they ask him if he will, so he
        says he will -- so it's clear what's going to happen, and no one
        stops him doing it, because so what? -- then no one sees but the
        presenters and/or other adults in the studio -- it's not seen by
        anyone else online or on TV, and certainly not anyone inappropriate --
        then *one person* complains (why, exactly?), and the BBC give that
        grovelling apology.

        What a load of...

        I'm ashamed of the BBC for being so pandering, and I'm ashamed of the
        British public for pushing them to it.

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Waller" <mlwaller@...>
        wrote:

        > The BBC emphasised that nothing untoward was screened online.
        >
        > A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that one complaint had been received.
        >
        > She said: "We do feel that the programme overstepped the mark.
        >
        > "We acknowledge this and apologised at the end of the live
        programme."

      • ana mattison
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
          I AM APPALLED AND OFFENDED!!!....that this didn't happen on TV so I could see.

          Damn it Barrowman...

          To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: mlwaller@...: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 00:26:15 +0000Subject: [torchwood] BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

          BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himselfDec 1 2008 WalesOnlineThe BBC has apologised and admitted today that a live radio showduring which TV star John Barrowman exposed himself "overstepped themark".Barrowman, who lives in Cardiff Bay, performed the act during aninterview on Radio 1's Switch show yesterday evening, after beingprompted on the subject.The incident comes in the wake of the investigation into the prankphone calls made to Andrew Sachs by Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand,for Brand's Radio 2 show.Following the BBC Trust report into the incident, BBC management said10 days ago that it was "determined to act on the lessons learnt fromthis incident, in particular to reinforce adherence to the BBC'scompliance systems."This will be a major priority within the BBC's audio and music division."During yesterday's show, presented by Nick Grimshaw and Annie Mac,Grimshaw asked Barrowman, who has starred in Doctor Who and itsspin-off Torchwood: "You're famous, we're told for getting your willyout in interviews."Is this going to happen today?"Barrowman responded by saying he was going to "get it out", amidshouting and laughter.He was later heard to say: "I didn't take the whole thing out, but Igot my fruit and nuts out."Annie Mac apologised on air at the end of the programme for anyoffence that may have been caused.The BBC emphasised that nothing untoward was screened online.A BBC spokeswoman confirmed that one complaint had been received.She said: "We do feel that the programme overstepped the mark."We acknowledge this and apologised at the end of the live programme."

        • Orchid
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 2, 2008
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2008
              I AM APPALLED AND OFFENDED!!!....that this didn't happen on TV so I could
              see.
              Damn it Barrowman...

              ROTFLMAO!!! Me too!!!!

              On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:

> [...]

            • Pamela Silva
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 4, 2008
                I'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this.  John exposed his...private(s) on TV? And has done it before?  I just want to make sure I understand what he did.

                Pamela Silva

                On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Orchid <ironorchid@blueyond er.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]

              • Michele
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 4, 2008
                  I'm offended, too. Maybe we should call John and insist on a repeat
                  performance.

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca jo" <rbekkah@...> wrote:

                  > I AM APPALLED AND OFFENDED!!!....that this didn't happen on TV so I
                  could
                  > see.
                  > Damn it Barrowman...
                  >
                  > ROTFLMAO!!! Me too!!!!

                • ana mattison
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Oh yes apparently he whips it out on the Touchwood set all the time. And then there was he interesting little tale Gareth told at Dragoncon.

                    To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: xylona2003@...: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:25:42 -0800Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

                    I'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this. John exposed his...private(s) on TV? And has done it before? I just want to make sure I understand what he did.Pamela Silva--- On Wed, 12/3/08, Rebecca jo <rbekkah@...> wrote:From: Rebecca jo <rbekkah@...>Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himselfTo: torchwood@yahoogroups.comDate: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 8:06 AMI AM APPALLED AND OFFENDED!!!. ...that this didn't happen on TV so I couldsee.Damn it Barrowman...ROTFLMAO!!! Me too!!!!On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Orchid <ironorchid@blueyond er.co.uk> wrote:>> ----- Original Message -----> From: "badblokebob" <richard@richard- nelson.co. uk<richard%40richard- nelson.co. uk>> >> To: <torchwood@yahoogrou ps.com <torchwood%40yahoog roups.com> >> Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:23 AM> Subject: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself>> > How ridiculous. I think this shows the sad state of affairs we'll now> > have to cope with from the BBC in the wake of the Brand/Ross/Sachs> > rubbish.>> Yes... We are heading for bland sanitised tv and radio, where actors,> presenters and production staff alike are all scared to push any boundaries>> for fear of offending some numpty that lives to complain and can't or won't>> use their off switch. Not that I condone Ross/Brand's behaviour it was> juvenile, sad and not at all funny but the majority of people who> complained> never even heard the broadcast and just decided to jump on the Daily Mail's>> bandwagon,more concerned about the amount of money Ross is paid than the> offending of an old man and it worries me that these people now seem to be> able to influence what I get to watch on tv.>> Orchid>> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Carole
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                      No, John undid his zipper during a RADIO interview, after being goaded
                      to do so by the presenters. There was a webcam, but contrary to press
                      reports, this was not "streaming the live broadcast" to radio listeners.
                      It wasn't working. So *no-one* other than the presenters saw anything.
                      The BBC received *one* complaint. John immediately issued an apology
                      for overstepping the mark, as did the BBC.

                      It's all a storm in a jockstrap which is being blown out of proportion.
                      Let's move on...

                      Carole

                      wrote:

> [...]

                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                        Dare I ask what tale Gareth told? J

                        Oh yes apparently he whips it out on the Touchwood set all the time. And
                        then there was he interesting little tale Gareth told at Dragoncon.

                        To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :
                        xylona2003@... <mailto:xylona2003%40yahoo.comDate> : Thu, 4 Dec
                        2008 06:25:42 -0800Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John
                        Barrowman exposed himself

                        I'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this. John exposed
                        his...private(s) on TV? And has done it before? I just want to make sure I
                        understand what he did.Pamela Silva--- On Wed, 12/3/08, Rebecca jo
                        <rbekkah@... <mailto:rbekkah%40gmail.com> > wrote:From: Rebecca jo
                        <rbekkah@... <mailto:rbekkah%40gmail.com> >Subject: Re: [torchwood]
                        Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himselfTo:
                        torchwood@yahoogroups.comDate <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.comDate> :

                      • maxngerry@optonline.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                          No - on the RADIO....

                          > I'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this. John exposed
                          > his...private(s) on TV? And has done it before? I just want to
                          > make sure I understand what he did.
                          >
                          > Pamela Silva

                          Namaste,
                          Max (Maxime@...)
                          http://www.ShoppingTheRift.com

                        • ana mattison
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                            Well apparently he and John send picture texts over their cell phones of the more noteworthy parts of their anatomy, in various states of blood flow, attatched to phrases such as "you're my b**** now". Then again they both love to pander to fans so it may be a load of bollocks (pun intended).

                            To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: Big_Dog1@...: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 07:50:11 -0500Subject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

                            Dare I ask what tale Gareth told? JFrom: torchwood@yahoogroups.com [mailto:torchwood@yahoogroups.com] On BehalfOf ana mattisonSent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:06 PMTo: torchwood@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himselfOh yes apparently he whips it out on the Touchwood set all the time. Andthen there was he interesting little tale Gareth told at Dragoncon.To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :xylona2003@... <mailto:xylona2003%40yahoo.comDate> : Thu, 4 Dec2008 06:25:42 -0800Subject: Re: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after JohnBarrowman exposed himselfI'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this. John exposedhis...private(s) on TV? And has done it before? I just want to make sure Iunderstand what he did.Pamela Silva--- On Wed, 12/3/08, Rebecca jo<rbekkah@... <mailto:rbekkah%40gmail.com> > wrote:From: Rebecca jo<rbekkah@... <mailto:rbekkah%40gmail.com> >Subject: Re: [torchwood]Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himselfTo:torchwood@yahoogroups.comDate <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.comDate> :Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 8:06 AMI AM APPALLED AND OFFENDED!!!. ...thatthis didn't happen on TV so I couldsee.Damn it Barrowman...ROTFLMAO!!! Metoo!!!!On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:>> ----- Original Message -----> From: "badblokebob"<richard@richard- nelson.co. uk<richard%40richard- nelson.co. uk>> >> To:<torchwood@yahoogrou ps.com <torchwood%40yahoog roups.com> >> Sent: Tuesday,December 02, 2008 10:23 AM> Subject: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after JohnBarrowman exposed himself>> > How ridiculous. I think this shows the sadstate of affairs we'll now> > have to cope with from the BBC in the wake ofthe Brand/Ross/Sachs> > rubbish.>> Yes... We are heading for bland sanitisedtv and radio, where actors,> presenters and production staff alike are allscared to push any boundaries>> for fear of offending some numpty that livesto complain and can't or won't>> use their off switch. Not that I condoneRoss/Brand's behaviour it was> juvenile, sad and not at all funny but themajority of people who> complained> never even heard the broadcast and justdecided to jump on the Daily Mail's>> bandwagon,more concerned about theamount of money Ross is paid than the> offending of an old man and itworries me that these people now seem to be> able to influence what I get towatch on tv.>> Orchid>> >[Non-text portions of this message have beenremoved][Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                          • Angela
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 5, 2008
                              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Pamela Silva <xylona2003@...> wrote:

                              > I'm sorry, but let me make sure I understand this.  John exposed
                              his...private(s) on TV? And has done it before?  I just want to make
                              sure I understand what he did.

                              > Pamela Silva

                              No he didn't do it on TV, he did it on Radio.

                              There was a webcam in the studio but it was broken.

                              Nobody saw anything.

                              (well apart from the people in the studio).

                              *sigh*

                              the BBC recieved one complaint. just one.

                              the gutter press got wind of it and turned it into a story, by
                              omitting the fact the webcam wasn't working. so they made out JB had
                              exposed himself to online, when he hadn't.

                              Snowy
                            • TJ
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                LET IT GO!

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                  Oh yes, Let's!

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                    At 01:26 PM 12/6/2008, Rebecca jo, annotated:
                                    >Oh yes, Let's!
                                    >
                                    >On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Michele
                                    ><<mailto:ninanki%40gmail.com>ninanki@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > I'm offended, too. Maybe we should call John and insist on a repeat
                                    > > performance.

                                    LOL - I love it - I think this tidbit from online about sums up my reaction:

                                    Tom Sutcliffe: Giggles with Mr Eliot

                                    The Week In Culture

                                    Friday, 5 December 2008

                                    [excerpt]

                                    The realm of self-righteous offence has expanded
                                    further with the news that the BBC is under fire
                                    for having broadcast the inaudible noise John
                                    Barrowman's (left) genitals make when exposed to
                                    a microphone. The offending articles weren't
                                    described and can have only had an adverse effect
                                    on listeners who tried to imagine them, which is
                                    their problem, not the BBC's. I don't want an
                                    apology, but I would love an explanation of
                                    Barrowman's clarification – "I didn't take the
                                    whole thing out, but I got my fruit and nuts
                                    out." If the fruit and nuts were out, what was
                                    left behind? And what would Humphrey Lyttelton,
                                    late grand-master of the filthy mental image,
                                    make of this new anxiety at the BBC? His account,
                                    in one broadcast, of how Samantha was going out
                                    for an ice cream with an Italian friend and
                                    looking forward to "licking the nuts off a large
                                    Neapolitan" would now, presumably, be accompanied
                                    by an instantaneous expression of regret.

                                    source:
                                    <http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/thomas-sutcliffe/tom-sutcliffe-la-never-did-deal-in-reality-i-suppose-1051786.html>
                                    ------

                                    LOL! has to be one of the best commentaries on this-ever! LOL!

                                  • ana mattison
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                      Are you joking?

                                      To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: t2001j@...: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 08:52:29 -0600Subject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

                                      LET IT GO!
                                    • TJ Harvey
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                        No I'm sure he would like to not hear about it any more. We have all sent our support now we should just let it go away.

                                        ana mattison <gaz_the_gloomy@...> wrote:

                                        >Are you joking?
                                        >
                                        >To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: t2001j@...: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 08:52:29 -0600Subject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself
                                        >

                                        >LET IT GO!

                                      • ana mattison
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 6, 2008
                                          Oh, whatever you say.

                                          oups.comFrom: t2001j@...: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 14:47:51 -0600Subject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself

                                          No I'm sure he would like to not hear about it any more. We have all sent our support now we should just let it go away.ana mattison <gaz_the_gloomy@...> wrote:>Are you joking?>>To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: t2001j@...: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 08:52:29 -0600Subject: RE: [torchwood] Re: BBC sorry after John Barrowman exposed himself>>>>LET IT GO![Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 7, 2008
                                            OMG!!! My stomach hurts I've been laughing so hard!!! Yes, what was left
                                            behind? I'd wanted to ask that myself =)