Re: The Sarah Jane Adventures - Series 2 - Speculation, Spoilers and Reviews

  • Russ
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2008

      The character of Maria was phased out because the actress playing the
      role was unavailable full time due to her school schedule. I saw an
      interview with her right after "The Last Sontaran" aired.

      I also thing that Rani is just Rani. Not THE Rani. I believe the
      writers are playing a little prank on fans leading to speculation
      that she is THE Rani ... Internet buzz = ratings.

      Anyway, thanks for the summaries, they're very good. I haven't had
      much time to tackle it...

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman"
      <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody:
      >
      > Back before the last season of Doctor Who was filming, there was a
      > great deal of preposterous rumors. Ben Kingsley was mulling over
      > playing Davros. Joan Collins was seriously being considered to play
      > the Rani.
      >
      > As we know from a previous season of Doctor Who, for there to be
      > another Time Lord around, the Doctor would know it unless that Time
      > Lord used a certain type of pocket watch to become human.
      >
      > Stating all that is past news, but maybe not. Nobody in this group
      > has made any mention of Series 2 of "The Sarah Jane Adventures",
      even
      > though the show draws heavily from exposure to Doctor Who and
      Torchwood.

      > There are currently three episodes left to air in the UK of Series
      2.
      > I figure if nobody else is going to tackle the show and even
      surmise
      > as to conjecture I am going to put forth, then there is no time like
      > the present. The following contains spoilers, speculation & reviews
      > of the nine episodes that have aired so far of "The Sarah Jane
      > Adventures" Series 2.

      > &

      > -

      > Now that this out of the way, Series 2 of "The Sarah Jane
      Adventures"
      > consists of 12 half hour episodes or six, two-part stories. Three
      > episodes remain to be aired, as I stated.
      >
      > The stories are:
      >
      > The Last Sontaran
      > The Day of the Clown
      > Secrets of the Stars
      > The Mark of the Berserker
      > The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith
      >
      > Those titles may not help you, but here goes: This season is about
      > Sarah Jane Smith wondering what her life might have been like if her
      > parents had not been killed when she was an infant in 1951 and then
      > raised to adulthood by her Lavinia Smith. Not having had her
      parents
      > growing up, Sarah Jane struck out to go out and save people which
      she
      > continues to do. How that figures into the final story featuring
      the
      > return of Miss Wormwood and the Bane, I have no idea yet.
      >
      > Now, for reasons that I have not heard, the producers of the show
      > decided to phase the characters of Maria Jackson, her father and her
      > mother out of the show and introduce three new characters of the
      > Chandra family. The teenage daughter is for some strange reason
      named
      > Rani. Is there a pocket watch with unique engravings somewhere in
      her
      > house?
      >
      > On to the departure of Maria and her family as the second series
      > begins with:
      >
      > The Last Sontaran
      > As you might remember, there was a two-parter last season on Doctor
      > Who that involved Sontarans unleashing a nasty gas all over the
      planet
      > Earth. Thanks to Gwen and lanto blowing up the Sontaran fleet;
      sorry,
      > wrong timeline! Thanks to a teenage genius helping the Doctor to
      blow
      > up the Sontaran fleet, the Sontarans were defeated. However, one
      lone
      > injured Sontaran crashes to Earth. Taking months to repair his
      craft,
      > he makes plans to wreak vengeance on the human race.
      >
      > There are a number of things going on here. Maria's father has been
      > offered a job in Washington DC and he wants to move him and Maria
      > across the Atlantic (to take a job away from a needy American).
      That
      > of course means Maria has to give up dealing with aliens and saving
      > the world. That also means she will be leaving Sarah Jane Smith,
      Luke
      > and Clyde behind. Sarah Jane is not expected to take the news very
      > well, leaving Sarah Jane to think about her own parents who she
      never
      > knew.
      >
      > Another thing going on is a remote radio telescope run by a father
      and
      > daughter research team in some obscure English town. The father
      looks
      > a great deal like Alan Rickman. Strange lights are seen in the sky
      > near it and the father disappears. Sarah Jane figures out strange
      > lights near a radio telescope mean it could be aliens. She takes
      the
      > gang to investigate.
      >
      > Before you know it, a Sontaran with a bad facial scar is holding a
      gun
      > on all of them. The helmet is not removed by hand but retracts into
      > the body armor, like Jaffa soldiers from Stargate. After escaping
      and
      > getting captured, it becomes apparent that this lone Sontaran plans
      > avenge the loss of the fleet by crashing satellites in orbit around
      > Earth into nuclear installations around Earth creating a nuclear
      > holocaust (and this is a Children's program?).
      >
      > Of course, with the help of Maria's ditzy mother, the Sontaran and
      his
      > plans are foiled. But then, leaving a defeated Sontaran to leave
      > Earth is not the wisest decision.
      >
      > Having Sarah Jane encounter Sontarans again when her first ever
      story
      > was with a Sontaran was a nice testament to her character, in that
      she
      > encountered a second one not long after. Apparently, this Sontaran
      > will be back to cause more trouble with Sarah Jane.
      >
      > It was nice that Maria's mother had a chance to shine with her
      attack
      > on the Sontaran and she will be missed from the show. Even though
      > Maria is gone, the show still needs her. She does come back.
      >
      > By the way, the actor playing the Sontaran really played the role
      with
      > gusto. He was more of a Sontaran than we have seen in awhile. It
      is
      > now time for the return of the Rani, I mean, the young Rani Chandra
      > and her happily married parents.
      >
      > The school everybody goes to has a new guy in charge. It is Rani's
      > father. Rani's mother is Geeta and both of them seem like they are
      > out of some British sitcom, more than a science fiction program.
      The
      > Chandra family has moved to Bannerman Road (Delta?) and are now
      living
      > the old house belonging to Maria and her father. Sarah wants to
      know
      > if there are any old alien knick-knacks left in the house, but there
      > are not. Moving to the new neighborhood, Rani is handed a ticket
      to a
      > museum of the circus by a clown. So has Clyde. They are seeing a
      > clown all over the place, but they are apparently the only kids who
      > can see the clown, except for any other kids who have tickets to the
      > museum. By the way, kids who got handed the tickets are
      disappearing
      > from the school. This brings us to:
      >
      > The Day of the Clown
      > Clyde and Rani are seeing a clown who will become known as Odd Bob.
      > The museum is run by a German man named Elijah Spellman. A photo
      of a
      > clown in the museum is of a clown who hung out with "The Celestial
      > Toymaker". Everybody starts investigating the mysterious clown as
      > Rani's father takes over running the school. Sarah Jane and others
      > investigate the museum and find out that Spellman is the notorious
      > Pied Piper of Hamelin. Odd Bob is just another version of this
      alien
      > entity that feeds off inciting terror in adults over the safety of
      > their children. It also shows that the Piper was after Sarah Jane
      > when she was a little girl. Why did he target Sarah Jane?
      Inquiring
> [...]
      > international feed with Trueman controlling people born under all
      > sorts of signs of the Zodiac as he names each sign of the Zodiac.
      > When he gets to the sign Sarah was born under, even she will become
      > one of his unwilling slaves to the Zodiac. However, Luke was never
      > born so no power on Earth can control him and he becomes the key to
      > stopping Trueman and the power giving him the power. Russ Abbot,
      who
      > played Trueman, also I would think, would make a great Doctor. By
      the
      > way, Rani has a birth date that makes her a slave to Trueman also,
      so
      > that could blow the notion out of the water about her truly being
      the
      > Rani. Even Time Lords I would presume are born. This story also
      uses
      > two scenes of the Doctor from two other Doctor Who stories.
      >
      > I thought this was a good story, but I would have loved there to
      have
      > been Mandragora reference as this was not Sarah's first brush with
      > astrology. Trueman was a very good tragic villain.
      >
      > As you might not have been aware, Clyde Langer has not had much back
      > story yet. That all changes when his father, Paul Langer, comes
      back
      > to town after five years after running off to German with Clyde's
      > pregnant aunt (this is a kid's show?) in:
      >
      > The Mark of the Berserker
      > Paul Langer shows up in his son's life again, but first, there is a
      > problem at school. A teenage boy has this alien pendant that lets
      him
      > make others do what he wants, but it also leaves him with a nasty
      mark
      > on his hand and pulsing veins popping up all over his face. He
      throws
      > the pendant away in the bathroom and Rani grabs it (teenage girl in
      > boy's restroom?). She discovers she can make her father act like an
      > idiot and even kill himself if that is what she really wants. She
      is
      > smart enough to go and give it to Sarah Jane, but Sarah Jane has
      left
      > town. Did I mention that this is what you might call a "Sarah
      > Jane-light story"? Sarah is in it, just not very much as she tracks
      > down some alien with three eyestalks that is like a big slug. Mr.
      > Smith has also been deactivated until her return so Rani leaves the
      > pendant hanging from the ceiling.
      >
      > Of course, Clyde being the idiot he can be, tells his erstwhile
      father
      > about how he saves the world from aliens, at which point his father
      > brings up the Daleks. Taking his father up to Sarah Jane's attic,
      > Paul Langer grabs the pendant and pockets it. He figures out its
      > power and soon becomes power-mad. His son will do anything he tells
      > his son to do.
      >
      > Rani and Luke have to consult Maria and her father in Washington,
      DC.
      > Yes, they are back for at least this episode. Luke needs to get
      > information about the pendant from the UNIT website. It belongs to
      > race of alien soldiers called Drahvins, no actually, they are called
      > Berserkers. Use the pendant's powers enough and you will turn into
      > Berserker. That is what is happening to Paul Langer.
      >
      > Clyde gets free of the pendant's power as does his father. Sarah
      Jane
      > shows up in nick of time to help sort things out at a marina. I
      would
      > have like to have found out more about the alien with the three
      > eyestalks, but I guess it was just a sight gag. Jocelyn Jee Esien
      was
      > very good as Clyde's mother, Carla, who knows about Clyde saving the
      > world, but also doesn't know. I would like to see her again return
      as
      > Clyde's mother. The big mess of Sarah's parents dying when she was
      an
      > infant continues to haunt Sarah. It leads Sarah Jane down a dark
      path
      > as a young boy from 1951 steps out of a time portal at the school
      in:

      > The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith
      > Mind you, only Part One has aired so far. Sarah Jane escorts the
      > young boy back through the portal. It is 1951 and the place is
      > Foxgrove, the town Sarah Jane was born in and it is one month away
      > from the tragic road accident that claimed their lives. Why did
      they
      > leave Sarah Jane behind with her aunt?
      >
      > The kid asks if he did okay. The Trickster appears and lets the kid
      > know that Sarah Jane will not be able to resist. The trap has been
      > sprung. Sarah Jane will be back.
      >
      > Sarah Jane does reopen the time portal, avoiding a number of
      rampaging
      > dinosaurs from the Paleolithic era. Sorry, wrong show! Anyway,
      Luke
      > comes with her and they return to Foxgrove. There is a large
      > community fair going on. Sarah meets her mother Barbara and her
      > father Pete Tyler, sorry wrong story. I mean, Eddie Smith. The
      > actors playing Sarah's parents are fabulous and seeing Elisabeth
      > Sladen's reaction to seeing them is really touching. Of course,
      > Barbara is taking care of an infant named Sarah. Sarah knows she
      > can't touch herself or (no, I'm not going there) time could be
      harmed.
      > Sarah and Luke pass themselves off as somebody named Victoria and
      > David Beckham. Sarah finds out that her parents are going to die
      this
      > very date. The car that they will be killed in is parked in the
      > village square. The young boy is watching but he is not a little
      boy.
      > He is a Graske, played by Jimmy Vee.
      >
      > The Rani, I mean Rani and Clyde see the little box that held
      people's
      > memory of Sarah Jane last season and it is glowing. They come to
      the
      > portal with it. The boy comes through the portal and turns into a
      > Graske and goes after them. The little box is glowing brighter.
      >
      > Sarah Jane wants a better life for herself. She disables the death
      > car and now she knows that her parents will not die and she will
      live
      > a life knowing them. Her life will have a happily ever after. The
      > world changes around her and Luke as Foxgrove becomes a desolate
      > wasteland. Rani and Clyde watch the world around them change as
      > London lies in ruins. Holding the box shielded them as time changed
      > around them.
      >
      > The Trickster tells Sarah Jane that he has won as this is now a
      world
      > out of her own making. Sarah and Luke are trapped in a nightmare
      > version of 1951 and Rani and Clyde are trapped in a present day
      London
      > war zone. Will Sarah Jane be able to reverse time and save the
      day?
      > Why did her parents leave her behind that day? We find out on
      Monday.