Re: heat interview - JOHN BARROWMAN - CORRECTED

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2008
      [it has been pointed out that I forgot the word
      NOT in the Prada comment - my apologies]

      heat interview
      JOHN BARROWMAN

      "I've had Botox, but I didn't like it"

      He sleeps with his dog, he thinks he's got oily
      skin and he'd like to adopt a ten-year-old. John Barrowman talks to Simon Gage

      "Give me your finger," says John Barrowman,
      bouncing on a sofa in his agent's office in
      London's West End. Well, you're going to worry
      when he says something like that, aren't you?

      "What are you going to do with it?" shouts his
      agent. "Suck it?" But he doesn't suck it.
      Instead, he takes it in his hand and runs it all
      over his face. John's trying to prove that he
      hasn't had plastic surgery, after heat just told
      him we suspected him of succumbing. How rubbing
      our finger all over his face is going to prove
      anything, though, is anyone's guess.

      John Barrowman is, in short, being as much fun as
      always. His laughs are big, his skin thick (and a
      little greasy, which is presumably what we were
      supposed to pick up on) and his handshake
      decidedly limp. Well, he had a little accident
      stepping out of his Torchwood trailer recently,
      slipped and now has a bruise that extends down
      the inside of his wrist and under the strap of his designer watch.

      If there is a renaissance man operating in
      showbiz today, it is John Barrowman: TV
      presenter, singer, West End Wendy, telly actor
      (Torchwood, Doctor Who), film actor (The
      Producers), documentary maker, author (his
      autobiography came out last year)… he probably
      even takes in washing at the weekend. He's also a
      respectable Civil Partnershipped-up gay man with
      a good record for speaking out about gay rights.

      So is there anything wrong with John Barrowman?
      Nothing that we can put our finger on…

      Your new album is out at the end of the month.
      It's a bit soon for another album, isn't it?

      Is it? The last one was released last November.
      It's actually a year almost to the day.

      So this is going to be like an annual thing? It's
      24 November, there must be a new John Barrowman album out…

      I hope so! But this album's completely different
      from the last one, in the sense that all the
      songs I chose last time were ones that had some personal story attached…

      And this time it's just any old stuff you've thrown together, right?

      No! These ones have a personal attachment, but
      there are three different styles of music –
      that's why it's called Music Music Music. It's
      also a kind of coin my TV catchphrase: fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.

      Are you going to be involved in any more Reality
      TV series to discover new West End stars?

      [To his agent] Are we allowed to say that we're
      not? Yeah, we're not doing another series like
      I'd Do Anything. We're putting it to bed for a year.

      Is it true that Andrew Lloyd Webber wants you and
      Denise Van Outen to do a Phantom Of The Opera sequel?

      Put it this way, Phantom 2 has been mentioned to
      us, but Denise playing Christine Daaé? She's got
      to be an operatic singer. Denise isn't a
      coloratura [a type of operatic soprano], she's
      more of a belter. But I'd be up for anything.
      Andrew has mentioned it, and it's almost
      finished. He has actually said to me, "I'd love
      to play you the new song from the show."

      Why is it that you've got an American accent, but
      when you were talking to your parents in the
      documentary Why Am I Gay? [sic – actual title The
      Making of Me] you had a Scottish one?

      When we moved to America, I got bullied because
      of the Glaswegian accent, so I decided to speak
      American. I tried to beat them at their own game.

      Are you sure they were bullying you about your accent?

      I didn't get bullied cos I was gay. I fitted in.
      I was actually better at sports than a lot of
      other boys. The bullying for being gay probably
      happened later. The accent thing is like someone
      who's bilingual, except that both of the
      languages are English, just different accents.
      The Scottish-speaking John is the same as this
      John, he's just a little more forceful. Scott, my
      partner, doesn't like it when I speak like the
      Scottish John – he says he's too aggressive.

      He doesn't get off on that?

      No! [Laughs.] Well, maybe. I loved doing the
      documentary. I went into it knowing that nothing
      was going to change how I feel about myself, but
      there are still a lot of people out there who
      thing that you choose to be gay – and you don't.

      So you and Scott are now civil partners. What's next? Kids?

      Well, maybe some day.

      You're knocking on a bit – you want to get on with it.

      What do you mean I'm knocking on?

      Well, you're 40, aren't you?

      Forty-one! So?

      They're not going to let you adopt if you get
      much older. You'll have to do a Madonna and go to Africa…

      You don't have to just adopt. I could have a kid.
      But I don't know, we've never really delved into
      it. I wouldn't do what Madonna did. I do have a
      very close friend who – when I saw her in LA this
      summer – said that if we wanted a child, she'd be
      happy to carry the child for us. I know that she
      would like to have a baby at some point.

      So what do you do, share?

      Well, it's not like a Prada coat. I think what
      would happen is we would, er, we'd have… See,
      these are the things that I haven't thought
      about. But the child would just have a wonderfully large extended family.

      That would be the end of your wild Speedo parties, though, wouldn’t it?

      Like I've had any! Oh, I wish! But once you have
      children, your life changes. We don't go out much any more, Scott and I…

      Maybe you're ready?

      Maybe we are. Well, if we do decide we're going
      to go for it, heat will be the first to know!
      With exclusive pictures. Actually, Scott has said
      that if we adopted, he would maybe want to adopt a child who's a little older…

      What, like 23?

      No! Like maybe about nine or ten years old,
      because there are a lot of kids that age, boys
      and girls, who just don't get adopted. They're
      left. And that's the thing that kind of upsets me.

      Do you think it would be difficult to bring a
      ten-year-old child into a gay household, because
      they might already have their own prejudices?

      See, I don't look at it as joining a gay
      household, I look at it as joining a household.
      And if a child comes into a household, there are
      probably going to be things that they're not used
      to. That's part of being a family: explaining
      things and opening up their outlook to all kinds of stuff.

      We know you're mad about your dogs. Are you one
      of those people who thinks of your dogs as your babies?

      Yeah, but not in a gross way. I don't carry them
      around and I don't say things like, "Make good poopy."

      Do you let them kiss you on the lips?

      I do. Well, you know, they're my babies. My old
      dogs would always sleep in the bed – in my arms, actually.

      Did you wake up smelling of dog?

      Yeah, but that's what washing machines are for,
      and you take a shower. But because Scott never
      grew up loving dogs, he doesn't like the dogs in
      the bed. It's funny – if he's there, they sit
      outside the room, they don't come in. And their
      bed's outside the door. When Scott goes away to
      work, they're right in. Jack will burrow under
      the covers and sleep right in the crutch of your
      leg. And Charlie will sleep at the bottom of the
      bed. It's company. We did the photoshoot with
      Jack because I can get him to eat out of my mouth.

      Let's get back to the surgery. Have you had any work done on your face?

      What do you think?

      Maybe, yeah.

      Where?

      Around your nose.

      Oh, God, no! What makes you think that?

      It's very smooth.

      Well… I never let anybody do this. Never! Feel my
      skin. [Takes heat's finger and rubs it over his
      face.] It's oily, yeah, I have really oily skin…
      That's just freaked me out cos I never let
      anybody touch my face. That's really freaked me out.

      Sorry about that. It was your idea.

      That's alright. But I do have oily skin.

      You've not had filler or anything like that?

      I have never had filler. I'll be totally honest
      with you – I've tried Botox. But it made me
      expressionless. I had it done here [touches his
      forehead] and they do it up in your eyes here
      [touches his eyes], so it lifts everything. After
      a few weeks, you do notice the difference, but
      what I noticed was that I looked, like, still.
      And in a lot of stuff on camera, I like to squint
      a little bit: men need expression. I'm not saying
      I wouldn't have it done around my crow's feet, but I'm OK at the moment.

      What about trying concealer – a men's Touche Eclat?

      I don't believe in all that stuff. I use make-up,
      but only for work, not every day. I usually
      shave, then I use a moisturizer – five squirts. I
      put it on, but I don't rub it in, I let it soak in. That's it.

      Is that the only place you shave?

      You know that's not the only place I shave! It's
      not just a gay thing any more! A lot of straight
      men trim themselves. I'm all in favour of it.

      Did you have a you have a midlife crisis when you turned 40?

      Not really. I think my crisis came at 30 – I went
      a little nuts and had a really good time. I'm not
      having a midlife crisis, am I? Some people might
      say that my thing for cars is my midlife crisis,
      cos I like sporty cars, but I don't look at that as being a midlife crisis.

      No, sporty cars are for picking up young men! Are
      you looking for a younger man?

      No, that doesn't appeal to me at all. I can
      appreciate young me, but I prefer someone around
      my own age. Scott's 44. He's already had his
      midlife crisis. Last year, I said, "I'm buying
      you a really nice motorcycle. The midlife crisis is over."

      How would you feel if you discovered he was having a bit on the side?

      This is my personal business, but if there's a
      been a hump in the road, you ask yourself whether
      you love the person enough – having spent all
      that time with them – to work through the
      difficulties in the situation. I'm not saying
      something like that has happened, but are you
      going to give up everything that you've worked
      for, because of some silly little thing? I'm not
      saying full-on affairs, but you know…

      Little indiscretions…

      Things happen. That's life. And whether you want
      to freak out about it or be honest about it… If a
      couple's been married for 20 years and the
      husband's busted snogging someone at a work
      party, it's no excuse for a divorce. It's really not.*
      Music Music Music is out on 24 November. John's
      single What About Us, is out now.

      pp. 90-93 <http://www.heatworld.com/>www.heatworld.com 22-28 November 2008
      transcribed by pfyre