Re: [torchwood] Re: The Next Actor To Play The Doctor - Speculation

  • Joni
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
      James Nesbitt (the guy from Jekyll) has already come out and said he
      doesn't want the part because he thinks it would be career suicide to
      come after David Tennant. I'm leaning towards Paterson Joseph or
      David Morrisey (esp. because of the Holiday Special). There are also
      like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
      not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

      Joni

      On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:
      > Hello, all. Longtime member here, infrequent poster. Just thought
      > I'd throw my ideas in the ring. I think that, since Steven Moffat
      > will be coming in as the new showrunner, then the new Doctor will
      > probably be played by someone he's worked with before. Now there's
      > the man who played Jekyll (I forget his name, though), who might be
      > good. After watching the first half of Mr. Moffat's latest two-
      > parter, though, I'm thinking Colin Salmon would be an excellent
      > choice. (I'd love to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor would do, though...)
    • Leanne
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
        There are also
        like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
        not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

        >>I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on the show. How would they explain that?

        And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means, lol!

      • badblokebob
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
          > I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough
          actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on
          the show. How would they explain that?

          > And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means,
          lol!

          Probably in a similar way to how they explained Lala Ward or Colin Baker turning up again.
          In fact, considering the fan-ness of the writers, I expect they'd use exactly the same
          explanation.

          12-1 odds are what you'd get if you placed money on Anthony Head being the next
          Doctor with a bookmaker. It basically means that for every £1 you placed on him you'd get
          £12 back (plus your original stake, I believe, so £13) if he was cast.

          Gotta keep an eye on bookies if you do go placing bets, mind. Besides the obvious risks of
          gambling, the Radio Times recently published an article on the identity of the Stig in Top
          Gear, which included odds for betting. Reading the small print showed that to actually win
          the Stig had to be revealed on Top Gear itself -- so if his identity was blown in the press
          and the show itself chose to ignore it, you wouldn't get a penny!
        • badblokebob
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
            Forgot to mention, the latest odds can be found here:

            http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&category=SPECIALS&class_sort=--
            &ev_id=775393&ev_class_id=72&ev_type_id=7771&force_racing_css=N

            (apologies if the link doesn't work for any reason)
          • BJ
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
              Over on the Highlander list a lot of people think Peter Wingfield (Methos in Highlander) would be great as the next Doctor. Personally I can't see it but I think he would do very well indeed as the Master.

              BJ.

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                What about John Hannah?