Re: The Next Actor To Play The Doctor - Speculation

  • Stuart
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2008
      OK my suggestion/speculation of Who would be good (pun intended) is:

      Ioan Gruffudd

      In case you are wondering, he's probably best known for the tv
      series "Hornblower" and played Lancelot in the 2004 film King Arthur.

      Also the Welsh connection helps to make him a good candidate.

      He may be out of the running, as he appears to concentrating on films
      now (and I think he's based in LA).

      Stuart

      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <ninanki@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I actually liked Christopher's Doctor; the dark, moody personality
      > would have made for great storylines. Think of all the great things
      > they could have done to help us figure out WHY he was dark and
      > moody. It would have brought out a lot more possibilites with Rose,
      > too. Her character could have grown much stronger.
      >
      > Since I don't know UK actors all that well, I really can't offer an
      > opinion of which UK actor should be the new Doctor. I think,
      though,
      > he should be relatively unknown, so that there's more of a mystery
      > about him. I don't like the idea of a female Doctor; a female Time
      > Lord is fine, though. If the Master was stuck outside the time
      > stream while Rome was burning, so to speak, why not another Time
      > Lord? I want to know who that woman in the library was who knew the
      > Doctor but he didn't know her yet. Is she a Time Lord or a future
      > Companion? Is she his daughter in another reincarnation? There's a
      > lot that can be done with that storyline, too.
      >
      > John can't do it, he has to be Jack and then the Face of Bo. John
      > also just plain doesn't have the time. Has anyone SEEN his schedule
      > lately? Gods....! I'm surprised Scott and the dogs still recognize
      > him.
      >
      > Hmmmm... a gay James Bond..... now there's a thought!
      >

      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "badblokebob" <richard@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Timothy Dalton is too well known. I think all the actors who
      > played the Doctor
      > > > were mostly unknown.
      > >
      > > Apart from William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Paul
      > McGann and Christopher
      > > Eccleston, of course. And arguably Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker
      > and David Tennant.
      > >
      > > I think the problem with guessing at a new Doctor is that anyone
      > could do it. Not everyone
      > > *should* do it, but anyone *could*, unlike something like James
      > Bond or, as David Tennant
      > > mentioned, Tarzan. Personally, I wouldn't mind the return of
      > McGann - he was a brilliant
      > > Doctor marred by a weak movie - but I don't think Moffat would
      > want to go backwards
      > > like that. Even less likely is Sylvester McCoy. I love McCoy's
      > era, but he was never the
      > > world's strongest actor and I don't think could support the BBC's
      > biggest series these days.
      > >
      > > Timothy Dalton is the most realistic of the suggestions here, but
      > I doubt it. He's a good
      > > villain these days and his Bond was a bit of a wasted
      opportunity,
      > but I don't think he's
      > > really the Doctor.
      > >
      > > From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be Bill
      > Nighy, but I wouldn't
      > > mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a
      > couple of the others. I won't go
      > > into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are totally
      > ridiculous (David Walliams?
      > > Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet,
      Ben
      > Miles - who seems to
      > > be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already
      > (Marc Warren, Alexander
      > > Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it
      > definitely shouldn't be Richard
      > > E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake
      > of "Shalka".

    • Greg_McC
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
        Hello, all. Longtime member here, infrequent poster. Just thought
        I'd throw my ideas in the ring. I think that, since Steven Moffat
        will be coming in as the new showrunner, then the new Doctor will
        probably be played by someone he's worked with before. Now there's
        the man who played Jekyll (I forget his name, though), who might be
        good. After watching the first half of Mr. Moffat's latest two-
        parter, though, I'm thinking Colin Salmon would be an excellent
        choice. (I'd love to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor would do, though...)

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart" <sexystuartg@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > opportunity,
        > > but I don't think he's
        > > > really the Doctor.
        > > >
        > > > From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be
        Bill
        > > Nighy, but I wouldn't
        > > > mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a
        > > couple of the others. I won't go
        > > > into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are
        totally
        > > ridiculous (David Walliams?
        > > > Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet,
        > Ben
        > > Miles - who seems to
        > > > be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already
        > > (Marc Warren, Alexander
        > > > Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it
        > > definitely shouldn't be Richard
        > > > E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake

      • Joni
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
          James Nesbitt (the guy from Jekyll) has already come out and said he
          doesn't want the part because he thinks it would be career suicide to
          come after David Tennant. I'm leaning towards Paterson Joseph or
          David Morrisey (esp. because of the Holiday Special). There are also
          like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
          not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

          Joni

          On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:
          > Hello, all. Longtime member here, infrequent poster. Just thought
          > I'd throw my ideas in the ring. I think that, since Steven Moffat
          > will be coming in as the new showrunner, then the new Doctor will
          > probably be played by someone he's worked with before. Now there's
          > the man who played Jekyll (I forget his name, though), who might be
          > good. After watching the first half of Mr. Moffat's latest two-
          > parter, though, I'm thinking Colin Salmon would be an excellent
          > choice. (I'd love to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor would do, though...)
        • Leanne
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
            There are also
            like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
            not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

            >>I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on the show. How would they explain that?

            And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means, lol!

          • badblokebob
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
              > I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough
              actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on
              the show. How would they explain that?

              > And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means,
              lol!

              Probably in a similar way to how they explained Lala Ward or Colin Baker turning up again.
              In fact, considering the fan-ness of the writers, I expect they'd use exactly the same
              explanation.

              12-1 odds are what you'd get if you placed money on Anthony Head being the next
              Doctor with a bookmaker. It basically means that for every £1 you placed on him you'd get
              £12 back (plus your original stake, I believe, so £13) if he was cast.

              Gotta keep an eye on bookies if you do go placing bets, mind. Besides the obvious risks of
              gambling, the Radio Times recently published an article on the identity of the Stig in Top
              Gear, which included odds for betting. Reading the small print showed that to actually win
              the Stig had to be revealed on Top Gear itself -- so if his identity was blown in the press
              and the show itself chose to ignore it, you wouldn't get a penny!
            • badblokebob
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
                Forgot to mention, the latest odds can be found here:

                http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&category=SPECIALS&class_sort=--
                &ev_id=775393&ev_class_id=72&ev_type_id=7771&force_racing_css=N

                (apologies if the link doesn't work for any reason)
              • BJ
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
                  Over on the Highlander list a lot of people think Peter Wingfield (Methos in Highlander) would be great as the next Doctor. Personally I can't see it but I think he would do very well indeed as the Master.

                  BJ.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                    What about John Hannah?