The Next Actor To Play The Doctor - Speculation

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi there:

      David Tennant is leaving Doctor Who far before he has worn out his
      welcome. There are many actors in the UK I have never heard of, that
      may or may not be committed to shows currently airing. This is who I
      believe should be considered for the role.

      First off:

      Paul McGann
      Paul McGann was robbed of the chance to play the Doctor beyond the
      1996 Fox TV movie. I am not counting the media he was attached to.
      While he has stated he did not like the wig, I want to see what he is
      capable of.

      Sylvester McCoy
      Sylvester McCoy was going strong when the BBC canceled the show. He
      is in still good physical shape. The book series that followed the
      show truly showed what his Doctor was really capable of.

      Timothy Dalton
      If you saw the former Bond in the Simon Pegg cop comedy, Hot Fuzz, he
      can exude a lot of menace. He only got Bond because NBC held Brosnan
      to his Remington Steele contract.

      What do all of you think of these three choices?

      Thanks,

      Dean L. Kaufman
    • Karel
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
        Timothy Dalton is too well known. I think all the actors who played the Doctor were mostly unknown. I totally dislike McCoy's doctor. Besides, I don't think bringing back an "old face' of the Doctor is a good idea.

        As long as it's not John Barrowman...

      • ThistleThorne@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
          Okay, I'll take a shot at this -- but I'm afraid it's going to be
          rather negative on all your suggestions.

          Paul McGann -- I didn't like the Doctor Who movie, to put it mildly.
          It just felt wrong to me and unfortunately that colored my view on
          McGann as the Doctor. He had his chance. Mama Beeb didn't do anything
          further with him. Good riddance.

          Sylvester McCoy -- My second favorite Doctor (after Peter Davidson, who
          was the first Doctor I saw from regeneration to regeneration) but
          again, I don't see this happening. His doctor has regenerated --
          McGann, then Eccelston, then Tennant. Unless we're going to go
          backwards in time to when he was traveling, not going to happen.
          Besides, I can't picture him with any Companion but Ace, and I don't
          think Sophie would be willing to come back as well. I could be wrong
          on that, but...

          Timothy Dalton -- I haven't seen Dalton in anything since Bond, so I'm
          not really sure what his acting is like these days. However, I think
          he's a little too well known in the States. I'd like to see someone a
          bit less well known on this side of the Pond.

          My biggest problem is, I have NO idea who would make a good Doctor
          after Tennant. I'm really awful fond of him and am going to miss him
          bigtime. Whoever (pardon the small pun) ends up being the Doctor is
          going to have rather large shoes to fill and I hope that he's up to the
          challenge.

          Beth

          Learn the rules so you know how to
          break them properly
          --Dalai Lama

          ThistleThorne
          ThistleThorne@...
          http://www.fanfiction.net/~thistlethorne
        • shanilashaye18@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
            I like the idea of John being the Doctor if he wasn't Captain Jack (that
            would be one hell of an explanation for the Doctor to give, a very confused
            Ianto and double duty for John.) but I believe it will be David Morrissey
            due to filming pics and some very heated speculation. <--------note it's
            only speculation

            "I believe that dreams are sacred take my darkest fears and play them like a
            lullaby.
            Like a reason why...."~Evanescence

            Shani
            Holiday needs. Search Now.
            -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)

          • Mark Hadlund
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
              My question is will the Doctor get to be ginger this time?

              Mark

            • badblokebob
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 8, 2008
                > Timothy Dalton is too well known. I think all the actors who played the Doctor
                > were mostly unknown.

                Apart from William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Paul McGann and Christopher
                Eccleston, of course. And arguably Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker and David Tennant.

                I think the problem with guessing at a new Doctor is that anyone could do it. Not everyone
                *should* do it, but anyone *could*, unlike something like James Bond or, as David Tennant
                mentioned, Tarzan. Personally, I wouldn't mind the return of McGann - he was a brilliant
                Doctor marred by a weak movie - but I don't think Moffat would want to go backwards
                like that. Even less likely is Sylvester McCoy. I love McCoy's era, but he was never the
                world's strongest actor and I don't think could support the BBC's biggest series these days.

                Timothy Dalton is the most realistic of the suggestions here, but I doubt it. He's a good
                villain these days and his Bond was a bit of a wasted opportunity, but I don't think he's
                really the Doctor.

                From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be Bill Nighy, but I wouldn't
                mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a couple of the others. I won't go
                into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are totally ridiculous (David Walliams?
                Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet, Ben Miles - who seems to
                be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already (Marc Warren, Alexander
                Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it definitely shouldn't be Richard
                E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake of "Shalka".
              • Michele
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 8, 2008
                  Hi, new to the group. Michele in Arizona.

                  I don't care for Dalton; I don't think he can act his way out of a
                  paper bag.

                  I actually liked Christopher's Doctor; the dark, moody personality
                  would have made for great storylines. Think of all the great things
                  they could have done to help us figure out WHY he was dark and
                  moody. It would have brought out a lot more possibilites with Rose,
                  too. Her character could have grown much stronger.

                  Since I don't know UK actors all that well, I really can't offer an
                  opinion of which UK actor should be the new Doctor. I think, though,
                  he should be relatively unknown, so that there's more of a mystery
                  about him. I don't like the idea of a female Doctor; a female Time
                  Lord is fine, though. If the Master was stuck outside the time
                  stream while Rome was burning, so to speak, why not another Time
                  Lord? I want to know who that woman in the library was who knew the
                  Doctor but he didn't know her yet. Is she a Time Lord or a future
                  Companion? Is she his daughter in another reincarnation? There's a
                  lot that can be done with that storyline, too.

                  John can't do it, he has to be Jack and then the Face of Bo. John
                  also just plain doesn't have the time. Has anyone SEEN his schedule
                  lately? Gods....! I'm surprised Scott and the dogs still recognize
                  him.

                  Hmmmm... a gay James Bond..... now there's a thought!

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "badblokebob" <richard@...> wrote:

                  > > Timothy Dalton is too well known. I think all the actors who
                  played the Doctor
                  > > were mostly unknown.
                  >
                  > Apart from William Hartnell, Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Paul
                  McGann and Christopher
                  > Eccleston, of course. And arguably Patrick Troughton, Colin Baker
                  and David Tennant.

                  > I think the problem with guessing at a new Doctor is that anyone
                  could do it. Not everyone
                  > *should* do it, but anyone *could*, unlike something like James
                  Bond or, as David Tennant
                  > mentioned, Tarzan. Personally, I wouldn't mind the return of
                  McGann - he was a brilliant
                  > Doctor marred by a weak movie - but I don't think Moffat would
                  want to go backwards
                  > like that. Even less likely is Sylvester McCoy. I love McCoy's
                  era, but he was never the
                  > world's strongest actor and I don't think could support the BBC's
                  biggest series these days.

                  > Timothy Dalton is the most realistic of the suggestions here, but
                  I doubt it. He's a good
                  > villain these days and his Bond was a bit of a wasted opportunity,
                  but I don't think he's
                  > really the Doctor.
                  >
                  > From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be Bill
                  Nighy, but I wouldn't
                  > mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a
                  couple of the others. I won't go
                  > into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are totally
                  ridiculous (David Walliams?
                  > Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet, Ben
                  Miles - who seems to
                  > be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already
                  (Marc Warren, Alexander
                  > Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it
                  definitely shouldn't be Richard
                  > E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake
                  of "Shalka".

                • Stuart
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 8, 2008
                    OK my suggestion/speculation of Who would be good (pun intended) is:

                    Ioan Gruffudd

                    In case you are wondering, he's probably best known for the tv
                    series "Hornblower" and played Lancelot in the 2004 film King Arthur.

                    Also the Welsh connection helps to make him a good candidate.

                    He may be out of the running, as he appears to concentrating on films
                    now (and I think he's based in LA).

                    Stuart

                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Michele" <ninanki@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > villain these days and his Bond was a bit of a wasted
                    opportunity,
                    > but I don't think he's
                    > > really the Doctor.
                    > >
                    > > From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be Bill
                    > Nighy, but I wouldn't
                    > > mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a
                    > couple of the others. I won't go
                    > > into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are totally
                    > ridiculous (David Walliams?
                    > > Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet,
                    Ben
                    > Miles - who seems to
                    > > be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already
                    > (Marc Warren, Alexander
                    > > Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it
                    > definitely shouldn't be Richard
                    > > E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake

                  • Greg_McC
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
                      Hello, all. Longtime member here, infrequent poster. Just thought
                      I'd throw my ideas in the ring. I think that, since Steven Moffat
                      will be coming in as the new showrunner, then the new Doctor will
                      probably be played by someone he's worked with before. Now there's
                      the man who played Jekyll (I forget his name, though), who might be
                      good. After watching the first half of Mr. Moffat's latest two-
                      parter, though, I'm thinking Colin Salmon would be an excellent
                      choice. (I'd love to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor would do, though...)

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Stuart" <sexystuartg@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > opportunity,
                      > > but I don't think he's
                      > > > really the Doctor.
                      > > >
                      > > > From the bookie's favourites, my personal favourite would be
                      Bill
                      > > Nighy, but I wouldn't
                      > > > mind Anthony Head (obvious, it's true, but I like him), or a
                      > > couple of the others. I won't go
                      > > > into detail on all 45 options on that list, but some are
                      totally
                      > > ridiculous (David Walliams?
                      > > > Robbie Williams?) and some are clearly too busy (David Suchet,
                      > Ben
                      > > Miles - who seems to
                      > > > be in everything else), and some too connected to Who already
                      > > (Marc Warren, Alexander
                      > > > Armstrong, John Barrowman, Christopher Eccleston!) And it
                      > > definitely shouldn't be Richard
                      > > > E Grant, who came across as an insufferable bastard in the wake

                    • Joni
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
                        James Nesbitt (the guy from Jekyll) has already come out and said he
                        doesn't want the part because he thinks it would be career suicide to
                        come after David Tennant. I'm leaning towards Paterson Joseph or
                        David Morrisey (esp. because of the Holiday Special). There are also
                        like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
                        not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

                        Joni

                        On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Greg_McC <greg_mcc@...> wrote:
                        > Hello, all. Longtime member here, infrequent poster. Just thought
                        > I'd throw my ideas in the ring. I think that, since Steven Moffat
                        > will be coming in as the new showrunner, then the new Doctor will
                        > probably be played by someone he's worked with before. Now there's
                        > the man who played Jekyll (I forget his name, though), who might be
                        > good. After watching the first half of Mr. Moffat's latest two-
                        > parter, though, I'm thinking Colin Salmon would be an excellent
                        > choice. (I'd love to see what Chiwetel Ejiofor would do, though...)
                      • Leanne
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 9, 2008
                          There are also
                          like 12-1 odds for Tony Head who I think would be kinda cool but I'm
                          not sure if I could overlook the Giles factor.

                          >>I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on the show. How would they explain that?

                          And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means, lol!

                        • badblokebob
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
                            > I could overlook the Giles factor- I've seen him do others things. He's a strong enough
                            actor that you get caught up in it. What I CAN'T overlook is that he's ALL READY been on
                            the show. How would they explain that?

                            > And why do you say there are 12-1 odds? I don't actually know what 12-1 odds means,
                            lol!

                            Probably in a similar way to how they explained Lala Ward or Colin Baker turning up again.
                            In fact, considering the fan-ness of the writers, I expect they'd use exactly the same
                            explanation.

                            12-1 odds are what you'd get if you placed money on Anthony Head being the next
                            Doctor with a bookmaker. It basically means that for every £1 you placed on him you'd get
                            £12 back (plus your original stake, I believe, so £13) if he was cast.

                            Gotta keep an eye on bookies if you do go placing bets, mind. Besides the obvious risks of
                            gambling, the Radio Times recently published an article on the identity of the Stig in Top
                            Gear, which included odds for betting. Reading the small print showed that to actually win
                            the Stig had to be revealed on Top Gear itself -- so if his identity was blown in the press
                            and the show itself chose to ignore it, you wouldn't get a penny!
                          • badblokebob
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
                              Forgot to mention, the latest odds can be found here:

                              http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&category=SPECIALS&class_sort=--
                              &ev_id=775393&ev_class_id=72&ev_type_id=7771&force_racing_css=N

                              (apologies if the link doesn't work for any reason)
                            • BJ
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 10, 2008
                                Over on the Highlander list a lot of people think Peter Wingfield (Methos in Highlander) would be great as the next Doctor. Personally I can't see it but I think he would do very well indeed as the Master.

                                BJ.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 11, 2008
                                  What about John Hannah?