Spammers Using Yahoo Groups

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi there:

      This may have happened to you already, but Internet spammers are now
      using Yahoo groups as a way of getting around your spam filters.

      As the people here are members of Yahoo groups, albeit this one, your
      computer is set up to also receive group invitations from other Yahoo
      groups. But what happens when spammers are using this indirect method
      of getting you to their products?

      In recent weeks, I occasionally got group invitations that came out of
      nowhere from people I had never heard of. Clicking on the link
      brought me to a Yahoo group for an Internet pharmacy or an adult web
      cam service.

      At the bottom of the invitation, there is a link to Yahoo where you
      can report the user that sent you the invitation as well as report the
      group. If enough people getting these spam Yahoo group invitations
      report the users, spammers will think about getting out of the Yahoo
      group business.

      If you get any of these unsolicited group invitations, report them
      immediately to Yahoo. It is a shame spammers are using Yahoo groups
      to peddle their crap, but it is also time they were stopped.

      Dean L. Kaufman
    • debra fauvor
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
        It would help if Yahooie's spam filters would filter more than a spiced ham recipe.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          ive been reporting them to the Yahoo abuse contact centre.

          2008/11/7 debra fauvor <debrafauvor@...>

          > It would help if Yahooie's spam filters would filter more than a spiced
          > ham recipe.
          >
          > --- On Sun, 11/2/08, Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@...<deanlkaufman%40earthlink.net>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@...<deanlkaufman%40earthlink.net>
          > >
          > Subject: [torchwood] Spammers Using Yahoo Groups
          > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Sunday, November 2, 2008, 2:56 PM
          >

          > Hi there:
          >
          > This may have happened to you already, but Internet spammers are now
          > using Yahoo groups as a way of getting around your spam filters.
          >
          > As the people here are members of Yahoo groups, albeit this one, your
          > computer is set up to also receive group invitations from other Yahoo
          > groups. But what happens when spammers are using this indirect method
          > of getting you to their products?
          >
          > In recent weeks, I occasionally got group invitations that came out of
          > nowhere from people I had never heard of. Clicking on the link
          > brought me to a Yahoo group for an Internet pharmacy or an adult web
          > cam service.
          >
          > At the bottom of the invitation, there is a link to Yahoo where you
          > can report the user that sent you the invitation as well as report the
          > group. If enough people getting these spam Yahoo group invitations
          > report the users, spammers will think about getting out of the Yahoo
          > group business.
          >
          > If you get any of these unsolicited group invitations, report them
          > immediately to Yahoo. It is a shame spammers are using Yahoo groups
          > to peddle their crap, but it is also time they were stopped.
          >
          > Dean L. Kaufman

          paul@...
          www.brokensea.com Guerrilla Audio
          "And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming"
          Blog: http://www.myspace.com/darkininc

        • Dr. Who
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 9, 2008
            Spammers have been spamming yahoo groups since yahoo group was groups.com
            they even did at that site also, spamming groups is nothing new and has been
            going on for years now.

            From Dr. Who

            ive been reporting them to the Yahoo abuse contact centre.

            2008/11/7 debra fauvor <debrafauvor@...>

            > It would help if Yahooie's spam filters would filter more than a spiced
            > ham recipe.
            >
            > --- On Sun, 11/2/08, Dean L. Kaufman <deanlkaufman@earthlink
            net<deanlkaufman%40earthlink.net>>