Aww man...

  • Leanne
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 29, 2008
      David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

      Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

      He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

      "When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

      "Now don't make me cry," he added.

      "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

      Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC.

      "I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

      I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh

      David Tennant

      His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

      "And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

      "That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

      "I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

      Drama award

      Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

      David Tennant beat co-star Catherine Tate at the National Television Awards

      In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

      Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

      Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

      "They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

      In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

      He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

      An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

      'Spectacular' exit

      Mr Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

      "After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

      David Tennant has recently acted with the Royal Shakespeare Company

      A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.

      Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show after a 16-year break.

      Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.

      He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

      In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor Who would be Tennant's last.

      He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old nonsense."

      from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

    • witchsbroo
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 30, 2008
        I am utterly crushed .. Well, one thing's for sure .. The 11th Doctor
        sure has some mighty big shoes to fill ... =[
        ~Winter~

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Leanne <TicTacOrange@...> wrote:

> [...]
        spectacular ending, so keep watching."

        > David Tennant has recently acted with the Royal Shakespeare Company
        >

        > A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.
        >
        > Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show
        after a 16-year break.

        > Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.
        >
        > He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned
        to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's
        Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

        > In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning
        to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told
        the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor
        Who would be Tennant's last.

        > He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and
        proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old

      • Pamela Silva
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
          I hope it is someone good, but how many Good Drs  can there be?

          Pamela Silva

> [...]

          spectacular ending, so keep watching."

          > David Tennant has recently acted with the Royal Shakespeare Company
          >

          > A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.
          >
          > Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show
          after a 16-year break.

          > Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.
          >
          > He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned
          to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's
          Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

          > In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning
          to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told
          the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor
          Who would be Tennant's last.

          > He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and
          proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old

        • Dr. Janice Covington
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
            Does this mean that Richard Hammond will play him next???

            I hope so. ;-)

            ARTEMIS
            xenaholic.com
            "Happy Halloween"