Re: A Portent of Doom For Sci-Fi?

  • Walter
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 28 2:11 PM
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "doggyj0525" <doggyj0525@...> wrote:

      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Walter" <walterfive@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Why are they running Wrestling on the Sci-Fi Channel?
      > >
      > Have you seen WWE??? If that's not science fiction - or just pure
      > fiction - I don't know what is!!!!

      The 20-something-year-old son of my Bishop was a scriptwriter for WWE
      for several years, making a tidy 6-figure income... sure it's pure
      fiction. Like I said, those guys are stuntmen, acrobats, and
      atheletes... if not actors. What they do isn't "fake" any more than
      what a movie stuntman does-- people do get hurt, sometimes seriously,
      and in the long run many end up crippled, unable to walk unsupported on
      blown-out knees, in wheelchairs, or suffering fused vertebraes, and
      other back and spinal maladies. Addiction to pain-killers is another
      career hazard, look at the wreckage of the lives of former top-card
      Wrestlers like Jake Roberts, Chris Benoit, Elizabeth Hulette, Lex
      Luger, Kerry Von Erich, Mike Von Erich, and Chris Von Erich, most of
      them while they were still relatively young, in their 30's or 40's.
      Very sad.

      The B-Grade Passion Plays and Soap Operas you see these men and women
      perform on TV may be scripted, and their ability to act in them may be
      sometimes questionable, but *do not* make the mistake of thinking
      it's "fake." It's never "fake."