Re: [torchwood] Face of Boe's Origin

  • Kev and Gra
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2008
      At no time did the Face of Boe say that he was called Jack ... When Martha saw him it was in Gridock when he reald the secret "You Are Not ALone" to the Doctor,,, It was at the end of "The Sound of Drums" that Jack says he was known as "The Face of Boe" at time cadet scholl or wgatever it was....

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 1:49 PM
        ~~~

        I keep wondering about the time in the episode, *Utopia* when all three characters were together and I think it was Martha who said something about the Face of Boe.  Jack was standing right behind them and why didn't he hear that or comment on it at the time?

        Any ideas?
        Ann Marie

        At 10:43 AM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
        >3. I believe that there was a reverse reference to #1 above when Face
        >of Boe said, "they used to call me Jack". Did anyone notice this last bit?
        >
        >When did this happen?
        >(This is from early doctor who seasons and I assume needs no spoiler space.)

        Gary Thomas
        408 858-6346 Mobile
        408 516-9562 Fax
        garywthomas Skype
        <mailto:gary_ thomas@ yahoo.com>gary_ thomas@ yahoo.com

      • Carole
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2 2:23 AM
          ~~~

          >I keep wondering about the time in the episode, *Utopia* when all three
          >characters were together and I think it was Martha who said something
          >about the Face of Boe. Jack was standing right behind them and why
          >didn't he hear that or comment on it at the time?<

          Because Russell hadn't written the line about the FoB yet?! In the
          context of the storyline though, no, it makes absolutely no sense at all
          that Jack wouldn't have reacted to Martha's comment by saying "Hey, I
          used to be called that!" or something similar. RTD has admitted that
          that Fob thing is a theory only. I think he's realised that if they
          make it a definite, they've totally written themselves into a corner for
          the character.

          Carole
        • debra fauvor
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2 3:41 PM
            Torchwood writes itself into corners all the time, so why not Doctor Who?

            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3 6:28 AM
              What I don't get about people saying about Doctor Who witting itself into a
              corner(though sometimes I believe it does happen.) is how can it do that. It's
              scifi and time travel. Torchwood is more consistent of a show than Doctor
              Who.

              "I believe that dreams are sacred take my darkest fears and play them like a
              lullaby.
              Like a reason why...."~Evanescence

              Shani

              Read reviews on AOL Autos.

            • Carole
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3 9:54 AM
                > What I don't get about people saying about Doctor Who witting itself
                > into a
                > corner(though sometimes I believe it does happen.) is how can it do
                > that. It's
                > scifi and time travel. Torchwood is more consistent of a show than
                > Doctor
                > Who.>

                When you know exactly how a character will end up, that's a narrative
                dead-end. Jack can't lose his immortality, can't be put in jeopardy,
                can't do anything except become the FoB, if that is now canon. They've
                painted the character into a corner.
              • Todd B.Musheno
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 5 9:09 AM
                  True they have painted the character into a corner, but...
                  Are you sure that Jack is the Face of Boe?
                  Although it is implied heavily, an alternate story may kill off jack, and have an alien take over torch wood, taking his name as a sign of respect.
                  Now I am not saying the writers will do something like that, but it is still cannon, and well within there rights.
                  As another alternate, FoB may be from another universe, allowing us to kill this universes Jack off.
                  As always keep an open mind when talking about what "must" happen in doctor who, as most things you think "must" happen, have alternate explanations, and I have seen the alternate storyline used way to often to trust what I "think" will happen.
                  Todd