Re: [torchwood] Re: Face of Boe's Origin

  • Gary Thomas
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31 9:26 PM
      Thanks! I was hoping to get a reply from someone who was certain!
      Cheers,
      Gary

      At 09:14 PM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
      >Sorry, but you're mistaken. The Face of Boe never says he used to be
      >called Jack. That obviously would have been a rather huge giveaway,
      >and since it came as a surprise at the end of Last of the Time Lords,
      >it just didn't happen.
      >
      >-Lynn

      Gary Thomas
      408 858-6346 Mobile
      408 516-9562 Fax
      garywthomas Skype
      <mailto:gary_thomas@...>gary_thomas@...

    • Kev and Gra
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 31 11:22 PM
        At no time did the Face of Boe say that he was called Jack ... When Martha saw him it was in Gridock when he reald the secret "You Are Not ALone" to the Doctor,,, It was at the end of "The Sound of Drums" that Jack says he was known as "The Face of Boe" at time cadet scholl or wgatever it was....

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2008
          ~~~

          I keep wondering about the time in the episode, *Utopia* when all three characters were together and I think it was Martha who said something about the Face of Boe.  Jack was standing right behind them and why didn't he hear that or comment on it at the time?

          Any ideas?
          Ann Marie

          At 10:43 AM 7/31/2008, you wrote:
          >3. I believe that there was a reverse reference to #1 above when Face
          >of Boe said, "they used to call me Jack". Did anyone notice this last bit?
          >
          >When did this happen?
          >(This is from early doctor who seasons and I assume needs no spoiler space.)

          Gary Thomas
          408 858-6346 Mobile
          408 516-9562 Fax
          garywthomas Skype
          <mailto:gary_ thomas@ yahoo.com>gary_ thomas@ yahoo.com

        • Carole
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 2, 2008
            ~~~

            >I keep wondering about the time in the episode, *Utopia* when all three
            >characters were together and I think it was Martha who said something
            >about the Face of Boe. Jack was standing right behind them and why
            >didn't he hear that or comment on it at the time?<

            Because Russell hadn't written the line about the FoB yet?! In the
            context of the storyline though, no, it makes absolutely no sense at all
            that Jack wouldn't have reacted to Martha's comment by saying "Hey, I
            used to be called that!" or something similar. RTD has admitted that
            that Fob thing is a theory only. I think he's realised that if they
            make it a definite, they've totally written themselves into a corner for
            the character.

            Carole
          • debra fauvor
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 2, 2008
              Torchwood writes itself into corners all the time, so why not Doctor Who?

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2008
                What I don't get about people saying about Doctor Who witting itself into a
                corner(though sometimes I believe it does happen.) is how can it do that. It's
                scifi and time travel. Torchwood is more consistent of a show than Doctor
                Who.

                "I believe that dreams are sacred take my darkest fears and play them like a
                lullaby.
                Like a reason why...."~Evanescence

                Shani

                Read reviews on AOL Autos.

              • Carole
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 3, 2008
                  > What I don't get about people saying about Doctor Who witting itself
                  > into a
                  > corner(though sometimes I believe it does happen.) is how can it do
                  > that. It's
                  > scifi and time travel. Torchwood is more consistent of a show than
                  > Doctor
                  > Who.>

                  When you know exactly how a character will end up, that's a narrative
                  dead-end. Jack can't lose his immortality, can't be put in jeopardy,
                  can't do anything except become the FoB, if that is now canon. They've
                  painted the character into a corner.
                • Todd B.Musheno
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 5, 2008
                    True they have painted the character into a corner, but...
                    Are you sure that Jack is the Face of Boe?
                    Although it is implied heavily, an alternate story may kill off jack, and have an alien take over torch wood, taking his name as a sign of respect.
                    Now I am not saying the writers will do something like that, but it is still cannon, and well within there rights.
                    As another alternate, FoB may be from another universe, allowing us to kill this universes Jack off.
                    As always keep an open mind when talking about what "must" happen in doctor who, as most things you think "must" happen, have alternate explanations, and I have seen the alternate storyline used way to often to trust what I "think" will happen.
                    Todd