Re: [torchwood] SPOILER - THE MUSIC OF THE SPHERES - SPOILER

  • Michael DeVault
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28, 2008
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_the_Spheres_(Doctor_Who)

      On Wikipedia.

      md

      On Jul 28, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Dean L. Kaufman wrote:

      > Hi Everybody:
      >
      > Have you heard of the new Doctor Who story that was shown on Sunday in
      > the UK? It was called "The Music of the Spheres". What, you haven't
      > heard of it? Will it be shown on Sci Fi? Is it Doctor Who or is it a
      > joke?
      >
      > Anybody here remember Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Orchestra?
      > They would play classical music and all of a sudden to please kids in
      > the audience, the orchestra would launch into a full-symphony
      > rendition of the theme to "Get Smart" and other popular pieces of
      > music you would not associate with Beethoven's Fifth.
      >
      > Yesterday in the UK, there was a large concert at Albert Hall, hosted
      > by some obscure British actress named Freema Agyeman. There was
      > classical music and specially composed music that deals with space and
      > celestial bodies. There were large parts of this concert called "The
      > Doctor Who Proms" that featured music we have to love and expect from
      > Doctor Who. You hear the music and you will recognize it. By the
      > time the first hour of the concert was close to being over, it was
      > time for the premiere of a Doctor Who mini-episode. A previous post
      > to Wikipedia that was removed shortly thereafter proved to be false.
      > Prepare yourself for the new Doctor Who story "The Music of the
      > Spheres".

      > For reasons that most people here will soon find out, the Doctor
      > leaves the events of "Journey's End" alone. No big surprise there.
      > Before he knows it, there is a Graske aboard his ship. The Doctor is
      > not very happy about this. By the way, the Graske is played by dwarf
      > actor Jimmy Vee, who has played Graske before as well as
      > Bannkaffalatta in Voyage of the Damned. This Graske asks the Doctor
      > about this strange music he hears and the Doctor states that it is yhe
      > music of the spheres or the music planets and universes make. He
      > tells the Doctor he is there to warn him about this hole that has
      > opened up. The Doctor looks through the hole and sees everybody in
      > Albert Hall at the Doctor Who Prom looking back at him. The Doctor
      > provides the orchestra with some sheet music which floats down on the
      > stage to recreate the "music of the spheres". This is the Graske's
      > chance to escape where he escapes into the audience at Albert Hall.
      > The Doctor luckily reverses the polarity of the neutron flow and gets
      > the Graske back where he sends the Graske far away. The Doctor thanks
      > the audience and heads off to his next adventure.
      >
      > Is this Doctor Who, a joke or something else. It sounded fun to
      > watch, but then only the soundtrack off a radio broadcast is available
      > to listen to. The special was taped and will air some time in the
      > near future in the UK. I don't expect this will ever show in the US.
      >
      > By the way, the Wikipedia post that proved to be false had the spirit
      > of Astrid Peth showing up in the TARDIS to help him out.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >

      > Dean
> [...]
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2008
        The special is easily (though, of course, illegally) available on
        YouTube for anyone who wants to see it. I recommend finding one which
        has had the Radio 3 broadcast sound laid over it -- might sound a
        silly thing to do, but when you watch it you'll understand why that
        makes sense.

        I hope this turns up on the s4 or '09 specials DVD set for the sake of
        completion (it still annoys me that the Christmas Graske game didn't),
        but it's far from essential and really is designed as a treat for fans
        at the proms rather than as a piece of entertainment in its own right
        (unlike the similarly-lengthed "Time Crash", for example).