Re: [torchwood] DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA

  • Justin D
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14 10:14 AM
      So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?  He's a conman/criminal, right?  I guess he's going to have a change of heart as some point.

      Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
      It's the same character in both shows.

      On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

      > I'm confused...
      >
      > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters?  The guy in Torchwood
      > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
      >
      > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
      >
      > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
      >
      > Amanda
      >
      > John Hopkins <emaillists@...> wrote:
      > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
      > By Cameron Robertson
      >
      > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
      >
      > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
      > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
      >
      > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
      > television and especially This Morning."
      >
      > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who as
      > the bisexual conman.
      >
      > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an adult
      > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
      >
      > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids' show
      > Live and Kicking.
      >
      > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
      > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
      > Schofield's Easter break.
      >
      > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
      > This Morning."
      >

      > Amanda
      > Caesarean birth group coordinator
      > and Trainee BFC
      > for NCT Hants NE Branch

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Janet
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 14 5:08 PM
        JMO, but I think he already went through that change of heart during
        his travels with the Doctor and Rose. When he parted from them in
        Parting of the Ways and says his goodbyes to them, it appeared to me
        he was crediting the Doctor specifically for that through the kiss and
        telling him he was better off as a coward. I didn't really see much of
        the conman in him after the midpoint of The Doctor Dances when he
        becomes more of a hero figure. In The Doctor Dances, he takes
        responsibility for getting rid of the 'bomb' knowing it could lead to
        his own death. In Boom Town he helps capture Margaret to bring her to
        justice. In Bad Wolf, his first thought after escaping is to find and
        rescue the Doctor and Rose. And in The Parting of the Ways, he's the
        first to go into battle against the Daleks, helping to plan and
        organize the campaign, again knowing it could lead to his own death.

        After those expierences, I don't see it as much of a stretch for him
        to become a kind of rogue law enforcement figure/leader after finding
        his way off the space station.

        On 3/14/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

        > So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?
        > He's a conman/criminal, right? I guess he's going to have a change of heart
        > as some point.
        >

        > Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
        > It's the same character in both shows.
        >

        > On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm confused...
        > >
        > > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters? The guy in Torchwood
        > > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
        > >
        > > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
        > >
        > > Amanda
        > >
        > > John Hopkins <emaillists@...>
        > wrote:
        > > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
        > > By Cameron Robertson
        > >
        > > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
        > >
        > > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
        > > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
        > >
        > > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
        > > television and especially This Morning."
        > >
        > > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who
        > as
        > > the bisexual conman.
        > >
        > > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an
        > adult
        > > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
        > >
        > > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids'
        > show
        > > Live and Kicking.
        > >
        > > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
        > > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
        > > Schofield's Easter break.
        > >
        > > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
        > > This Morning."

      • Patrick Power
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 15 12:04 AM
          I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

          Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
          JMO, but I think he already went through that change of heart during
          his travels with the Doctor and Rose. When he parted from them in
          Parting of the Ways and says his goodbyes to them, it appeared to me
          he was crediting the Doctor specifically for that through the kiss and
          telling him he was better off as a coward. I didn't really see much of
          the conman in him after the midpoint of The Doctor Dances when he
          becomes more of a hero figure. In The Doctor Dances, he takes
          responsibility for getting rid of the 'bomb' knowing it could lead to
          his own death. In Boom Town he helps capture Margaret to bring her to
          justice. In Bad Wolf, his first thought after escaping is to find and
          rescue the Doctor and Rose. And in The Parting of the Ways, he's the
          first to go into battle against the Daleks, helping to plan and
          organize the campaign, again knowing it could lead to his own death.

          After those expierences, I don't see it as much of a stretch for him
          to become a kind of rogue law enforcement figure/leader after finding
          his way off the space station.

          On 3/14/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

          > So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?
          > He's a conman/criminal, right?  I guess he's going to have a change of heart
          > as some point.
          >

          > Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
          > It's the same character in both shows.
          >

          > On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm confused...
          > >
          > > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters?  The guy in Torchwood
          > > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
          > >
          > > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
          > >
          > > Amanda
          > >
          > > John Hopkins <emaillists@...>
          > wrote:
          > > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
          > > By Cameron Robertson
          > >
          > > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
          > >
          > > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
          > > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
          > >
          > > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
          > > television and especially This Morning."
          > >
          > > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who
          > as
          > > the bisexual conman.
          > >
          > > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an
          > adult
          > > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
          > >
          > > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids'
          > show
          > > Live and Kicking.
          > >
          > > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
          > > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
          > > Schofield's Easter break.
          > >
          > > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
          > > This Morning."

          Patrick Power
          http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

          American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
          http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

        • Don
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 15 12:09 PM
            I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member of
            the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered that
            they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
            This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
            wrote:

            > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
            just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
            seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 16 10:59 AM
              Am I right in thinking that we still know almost nothing about Jack's
              mysterious original employers?

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 17 11:45 AM
                I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

                wrote:

                > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
                just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
                seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

                Patrick Power
                http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

                American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
                http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

                Yahoo! Mail

              • starhawk2197
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 18 4:50 PM
                  <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

                  > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

                  I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
                  who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
                  volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
                  happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
                  type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
                  D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
                  Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

                  Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
                  European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
                  was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
                  Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
                  Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
                  Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
                  Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
                  would make far more dangerous foes.
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 19 7:10 AM
                    Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
                    other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
                    Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
                    all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

                    --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>