Spoiler Spaces

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 18, 2008
      Some time recently, with all the postings I made, I broke the rules
      somehow. I was put on moderation. I would imagine that is going to
      be the status quo for me for the time being. I am sure it will change
      back at some time in the future. Any posts I have made since then
      have been in full compliance.

      Somebody says something and instantly somebody jumps on it without
      thinking that their reply post is inadvertently a spoiler for those
      who do not want to know anything. As far as that person is concerned,
      they were just replying to an ongoing message thread. It was
      mentioned in the previous post. Why bother?

      A lot has happened in the last few Doctor Who stories. There are
      those lucky enough to see those stories and those who must wait, with
      some having to wait until the DVD sets come on the market.

      I think it might be better in the future that when somebody slips up
      and spoils something in their post or reply, that a private message
      should be sent to the person explaining to them exactly what they did
      and how to avoid doing so in the future.

      I try to keep up on news of all three shows, four if you count Secret
      Diary. I probably know more than most people and less about other
      things. Next Wednesday, I am getting Barrowman's autograph. I will
      probably get his CD and book same night. I plan to ask him questions
      that night if he will answer them. That would be spoilers.

      If you are posting a reply, think about whether or not other people
      have seen the episodes. Anybody seeing Doctor Who on Sci Fi next week
      is going to jump to false conclusions. They will feel that everybody
      here needs to know. If you think people need to know something, post
      it straight up as a spoiler. Don't take chances that it is not a
      spoiler. It is better to be safe than sorry.

      As to animosity that is developing, I am also seeing both sides of the
      issue. I don't think this group needs people sniping at each other.
      I also think that all people here have things to contribute. People
      can't learn from their mistakes if they don't know what mistake they
      have made.

      Thanks for listening,

      Dean L. Kaufman, I
      California
    • Karl Kammer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
        I dont ever post because of the sniping that is going on. Plus, after I saw the first episode of the second season, I didnt care for the direction it was going in. Rather than criticize, I just stopped watching it. It just wasnt the kind of show I could get into anymore. Not slamming it, just it isnt my cup of tea.

        I do enjoy reading the posts people make here and usually stuff that isnt related to torchwood. There was something of a 'spoiler' about series 3 a few months ago on a site that I have posted photos to called Doctorwhotoys.net. It is just a fan run site, but a VERY young who fan met John Barrowman and he had told him the show was going to be made more family friendly. Maybe that has something to do with season, er sorry, series 3? There is an adorable, yes I said that word, picture of John and the young fan talking that went with it.

        I have seen a few sites recently that cover the toys now and I am no longer going to contribute as I feel my photos are kinda well, crap, compared to these other ones. Plus, there are too many dang toys coming out to keep up with. I will probably start selling off my collection soon. So if there are any photographers out there that want to contribute to the .net site, drop the owner an email. He is in spain until the 25th though.

        "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...> wrote:
[...]

      • dennis tuchalski
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
          Good post Dean. I also inadvertently posted a spoiler as a reply once.
          One of the Moderators did send me a note explaining my gaff and that my
          post had therefore been removed (from the archives). I also feel that
          this was an excellent way to deal with the issue. I did apologize and
          have since watched closer. I also agree that this has been an excellent
          group so far and would hate for it to sink into a sniping war. Please
          folks, life is much more interesting when we are not bickering.

          dennis

          Dean L. Kaufman wrote:

          > Some time recently, with all the postings I made, I broke the rules
          > somehow. I was put on moderation. I would imagine that is going to
          > be the status quo for me for the time being. I am sure it will change
          > back at some time in the future. Any posts I have made since then
          > have been in full compliance.
          >
          > Somebody says something and instantly somebody jumps on it without
          > thinking that their reply post is inadvertently a spoiler for those
          > who do not want to know anything. As far as that person is concerned,
          > they were just replying to an ongoing message thread. It was
          > mentioned in the previous post. Why bother?
          >
          > A lot has happened in the last few Doctor Who stories. There are
          > those lucky enough to see those stories and those who must wait, with
          > some having to wait until the DVD sets come on the market.
          >
          > I think it might be better in the future that when somebody slips up
          > and spoils something in their post or reply, that a private message
          > should be sent to the person explaining to them exactly what they did
          > and how to avoid doing so in the future.
          >
          > I try to keep up on news of all three shows, four if you count Secret
          > Diary. I probably know more than most people and less about other
          > things. Next Wednesday, I am getting Barrowman's autograph. I will
          > probably get his CD and book same night. I plan to ask him questions
          > that night if he will answer them. That would be spoilers.
          >
          > If you are posting a reply, think about whether or not other people
          > have seen the episodes. Anybody seeing Doctor Who on Sci Fi next week
          > is going to jump to false conclusions. They will feel that everybody
          > here needs to know. If you think people need to know something, post
          > it straight up as a spoiler. Don't take chances that it is not a
          > spoiler. It is better to be safe than sorry.
          >
          > As to animosity that is developing, I am also seeing both sides of the
          > issue. I don't think this group needs people sniping at each other.
          > I also think that all people here have things to contribute. People
          > can't learn from their mistakes if they don't know what mistake they
          > have made.
          >
          > Thanks for listening,
          >
          > Dean L. Kaufman, I
          > California

        • PastorElaineS
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 19, 2008
            Poor Stuart has had to " moderate me" at least three times for unintentional spoilers - and I've only posted about four times! I put my bid with those calling for peace on the boards. There is enough stress and strain in our daily lives - the fun part is so much nicer when it is just that - fun! I love that i have learned so much form people in the group - and i love hearing people's observations and ideas. It's a good group.

            Thanks Everyone and Thanks Stuart

            Dean L. Kaufman wrote:

            > Some time recently, with all the postings I made, I broke the rules
            > somehow. I was put on moderation. I would imagine that is going to
            > be the status quo for me for the time being. I am sure it will change
            > back at some time in the future. Any posts I have made since then
            > have been in full compliance.
            >
            > Somebody says something and instantly somebody jumps on it without
            > thinking that their reply post is inadvertently a spoiler for those
            > who do not want to know anything. As far as that person is concerned,
            > they were just replying to an ongoing message thread. It was
            > mentioned in the previous post. Why bother?
            >
            > A lot has happened in the last few Doctor Who stories. There are
            > those lucky enough to see those stories and those who must wait, with
            > some having to wait until the DVD sets come on the market.
            >
            > I think it might be better in the future that when somebody slips up
            > and spoils something in their post or reply, that a private message
            > should be sent to the person explaining to them exactly what they did
            > and how to avoid doing so in the future.
            >
            > I try to keep up on news of all three shows, four if you count Secret
            > Diary. I probably know more than most people and less about other
            > things. Next Wednesday, I am getting Barrowman's autograph. I will
            > probably get his CD and book same night. I plan to ask him questions
            > that night if he will answer them. That would be spoilers.
            >
            > If you are posting a reply, think about whether or not other people
            > have seen the episodes. Anybody seeing Doctor Who on Sci Fi next week
            > is going to jump to false conclusions. They will feel that everybody
            > here needs to know. If you think people need to know something, post
            > it straight up as a spoiler. Don't take chances that it is not a
            > spoiler. It is better to be safe than sorry.
            >
            > As to animosity that is developing, I am also seeing both sides of the
            > issue. I don't think this group needs people sniping at each other.
            > I also think that all people here have things to contribute. People
            > can't learn from their mistakes if they don't know what mistake they
            > have made.
            >
            > Thanks for listening,
            >
            > Dean L. Kaufman, I
            > California

          • doggyj0525
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 20, 2008
              Ok, this is just my own opinion, and the way I prefer to handle
              spoilers. It may not work for everyone, or anyone else, for that
              matter. I do not get digets or e-mails from the group. I read all
              the messages on the website when I have time. If I have not seen an
              episode, I simply do not read any messages relating to it. In fact,
              if I haven't seen an episode, I don't read any messages after that
              date!!!! Do I miss putting in my 2 cents worth at the time? Not
              really, because I find that as I do get caught up, I often find
              other people that have said the same things I would have said, and
              much better than I could, anyway. Have I occaissionally been
              spoiled? Yep, but that's life. Its just a TV show. One that I
              really like, a lot, but there are so many more important things for
              me to be upset about. I take full responsibility for what, when,
              and how I read and how I react to things I have read. When the
              posts degenerate into foot stomping temper tantrums, I simply don't
              read any more replies to it. I agree with the policy of moderating
              habitual spoiler violators, but I also think something should be
              done about the constant bickerers and snipers. "You're stupid and
              you wear funny socks" type of comments don't belong here, in my own
              opinion. So, that's it, back to lurking and reading or skipping
              posts and waiting for the specials or minisodes or whatever we have
              coming.

              DJ
            • elliot02uk
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
                Yes, of course you're right when you say we can simply skip over
                posts that relate to unseen episodes. The problem arises when the
                opening sentence/line reveals the spoiler without your having to open
                the post at all. This is the way Yahoo constructs its groups site so
                the only thing considerate members can do is leave lots of spoiler
                space...!

                Jean B

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "doggyj0525" <doggyj0525@...> wrote:

                > Ok, this is just my own opinion, and the way I prefer to handle
                > spoilers. It may not work for everyone, or anyone else, for that
                > matter. I do not get digets or e-mails from the group. I read all
                > the messages on the website when I have time. If I have not seen
                an
                > episode, I simply do not read any messages relating to it. In
                fact,
                > if I haven't seen an episode, I don't read any messages after that
                > date!!!! Do I miss putting in my 2 cents worth at the time? Not
                > really, because I find that as I do get caught up, I often find
                > other people that have said the same things I would have said, and
                > much better than I could, anyway. Have I occaissionally been
                > spoiled? Yep, but that's life. Its just a TV show. One that I
                > really like, a lot, but there are so many more important things for
                > me to be upset about. I take full responsibility for what, when,
                > and how I read and how I react to things I have read. When the
                > posts degenerate into foot stomping temper tantrums, I simply don't
                > read any more replies to it. I agree with the policy of moderating
                > habitual spoiler violators, but I also think something should be
                > done about the constant bickerers and snipers. "You're stupid and
                > you wear funny socks" type of comments don't belong here, in my own
                > opinion. So, that's it, back to lurking and reading or skipping
                > posts and waiting for the specials or minisodes or whatever we have
                > coming.
                >
                > DJ

              • Robbie
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
                  Attn:  Stuart

                  Somewhere along the way I've gotten confused.  I don't remember for sure whether I wrote a message with or without spoiler spaces, but I promptly got my *** chewed by another list member.  I responded in kind, which I should have done privately if at all.  That was my bad.

                  My confusion is about spoiler spaces.  I'm sure you have something in the group rules about that.  Could you please give me a URL where I can find them or give me a short briefing on what they are so we don't have this 'rumble' again.

                  Thanks in advance.

                  Robbie

                • Robbie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
                    I just sent a message to Stuart about the rules regarding spoiler spaces because I have managed to get confused during this exchange.  If that message got here to the list, it wasn't supposed to.

                    I concur about stress and peace and all the other applicable words you all could come up with.  Apparently I was blamed for doing something that involved spoiler space.  Hopefully Stuart will advise me of the 'program.'

                    As I wrote already, mea culpa!

                    Robbie

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 21, 2008
                      Stuart:  What is your email address?  The message below is for you, but now it's for the list, as well.  That's fine.

                      Robbie

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 22, 2008
                        The rules of conduct, and especially the spoiler rules are on the homepage of the group.
                        Here's the summary
                        Insults, general rudeness, or continued inappropriate spoilering can place you on hand-moderation. Questions on moderation and/or spoilers go to the moderators or the list owner, not the group.

                        Do not list spoilers in the subject line of a post. Give the episode number, title, or broadcast date and note "spoiler", then leave spoiler space in the message before discussing a spoiler. Any aspects of the show can be discussed, but you must be considerate to each other and to the people involved in making Torchwood (actors, writers, directors, and crew). Remember the difference between the character and the actor.

                        Torchwood Series 1 is not a spoiler, as all 13 episodes aired in the UK over 12 months ago. Doctor Who Series 1,2,+3 are not spoilers, though remember to based discussion off Torchwood.

                        Torchwood Series 2, The Sarah Jane Adventures, and Doctor Who Series 4 (Voyage Of The Damned onwards) require spoiler space until further notice.
                        Hope this clarifies things people
                        Stuart