Re: [torchwood] DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA

  • Amanda Brock
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
      thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages

      Amanda

      John Hopkins <emaillists@...> wrote:
      DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
      By Cameron Robertson

      DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.

      The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
      co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.

      Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
      television and especially This Morning."

      The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who as
      the bisexual conman.

      He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an adult
      drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.

      The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids' show
      Live and Kicking.

      Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
      delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
      Schofield's Easter break.

      "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
      This Morning."

      Amanda
      Caesarean birth group coordinator
      and Trainee BFC
      for NCT Hants NE Branch

    • Justin D

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 13, 2006
          It's the same character in both shows.

          On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

          > I'm confused...
          >
          > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters? The guy in Torchwood
          > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
          >
          > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
          >
          > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
          >
          > Amanda
          >
          > John Hopkins <emaillists@...> wrote:
          > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
          > By Cameron Robertson
          >
          > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
          >
          > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
          > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
          >
          > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
          > television and especially This Morning."
          >
          > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who as
          > the bisexual conman.
          >
          > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an adult
          > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
          >
          > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids' show
          > Live and Kicking.
          >
          > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
          > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
          > Schofield's Easter break.
          >
          > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
          > This Morning."
          >

          > Amanda
          > Caesarean birth group coordinator
          > and Trainee BFC
          > for NCT Hants NE Branch

        • Justin D
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
            So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?  He's a conman/criminal, right?  I guess he's going to have a change of heart as some point.

            Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
            It's the same character in both shows.

            On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

            > I'm confused...
            >
            > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters?  The guy in Torchwood
            > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
            >
            > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
            >
            > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
            >
            > Amanda
            >
            > John Hopkins <emaillists@...> wrote:
            > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
            > By Cameron Robertson
            >
            > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
            >
            > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
            > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
            >
            > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
            > television and especially This Morning."
            >
            > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who as
            > the bisexual conman.
            >
            > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an adult
            > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
            >
            > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids' show
            > Live and Kicking.
            >
            > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
            > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
            > Schofield's Easter break.
            >
            > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
            > This Morning."
            >

            > Amanda
            > Caesarean birth group coordinator
            > and Trainee BFC
            > for NCT Hants NE Branch

            Yahoo! Mail

          • Janet
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 14, 2006
              JMO, but I think he already went through that change of heart during
              his travels with the Doctor and Rose. When he parted from them in
              Parting of the Ways and says his goodbyes to them, it appeared to me
              he was crediting the Doctor specifically for that through the kiss and
              telling him he was better off as a coward. I didn't really see much of
              the conman in him after the midpoint of The Doctor Dances when he
              becomes more of a hero figure. In The Doctor Dances, he takes
              responsibility for getting rid of the 'bomb' knowing it could lead to
              his own death. In Boom Town he helps capture Margaret to bring her to
              justice. In Bad Wolf, his first thought after escaping is to find and
              rescue the Doctor and Rose. And in The Parting of the Ways, he's the
              first to go into battle against the Daleks, helping to plan and
              organize the campaign, again knowing it could lead to his own death.

              After those expierences, I don't see it as much of a stretch for him
              to become a kind of rogue law enforcement figure/leader after finding
              his way off the space station.

              On 3/14/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

              > So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?
              > He's a conman/criminal, right? I guess he's going to have a change of heart
              > as some point.
              >

              > Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
              > It's the same character in both shows.
              >

              > On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm confused...
              > >
              > > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters? The guy in Torchwood
              > > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
              > >
              > > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
              > >
              > > Amanda
              > >
              > > John Hopkins <emaillists@...>
              > wrote:
              > > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
              > > By Cameron Robertson
              > >
              > > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
              > >
              > > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
              > > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
              > >
              > > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
              > > television and especially This Morning."
              > >
              > > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who
              > as
              > > the bisexual conman.
              > >
              > > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an
              > adult
              > > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
              > >
              > > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids'
              > show
              > > Live and Kicking.
              > >
              > > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
              > > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
              > > Schofield's Easter break.
              > >
              > > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
              > > This Morning."

            • Patrick Power
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
                I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

                Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
                JMO, but I think he already went through that change of heart during
                his travels with the Doctor and Rose. When he parted from them in
                Parting of the Ways and says his goodbyes to them, it appeared to me
                he was crediting the Doctor specifically for that through the kiss and
                telling him he was better off as a coward. I didn't really see much of
                the conman in him after the midpoint of The Doctor Dances when he
                becomes more of a hero figure. In The Doctor Dances, he takes
                responsibility for getting rid of the 'bomb' knowing it could lead to
                his own death. In Boom Town he helps capture Margaret to bring her to
                justice. In Bad Wolf, his first thought after escaping is to find and
                rescue the Doctor and Rose. And in The Parting of the Ways, he's the
                first to go into battle against the Daleks, helping to plan and
                organize the campaign, again knowing it could lead to his own death.

                After those expierences, I don't see it as much of a stretch for him
                to become a kind of rogue law enforcement figure/leader after finding
                his way off the space station.

                On 3/14/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:

                > So he's not some sort of law enforcement officer, Terrestrial or otherwise?
                > He's a conman/criminal, right?  I guess he's going to have a change of heart
                > as some point.
                >

                > Janet <jlreimer@...> wrote:
                > It's the same character in both shows.
                >

                > On 3/13/06, Justin D <datatypo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm confused...
                > >
                > > Is this actor going to play two seperate characters?  The guy in Torchwood
                > > and Captain Jack the conman on Dr. Who?
                > >
                > > Amanda Brock <amanda1uk2002@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > thats excellent news I havent really watched that show for ages
                > >
                > > Amanda
                > >
                > > John Hopkins <emaillists@...>
                > wrote:
                > > DR'S JACK TAKES ON ITV SOFA
                > > By Cameron Robertson
                > >
                > > DOCTOR Who star John Barrowman is to present ITV's This Morning show.
                > >
                > > The actor, who plays the Dr's sidekick Captain Jack in the BBC drama, will
                > > co-host with Fern Britton for a week from April 10.
                > >
                > > Barrowman, 38, said: "I'm so looking forward to being a part of daytime
                > > television and especially This Morning."
                > >
                > > The Glasgow-born star returns next year in the third series of Doctor Who
                > as
                > > the bisexual conman.
                > >
                > > He is currently filming BBC3's Dr Who spin-off Torchwood, in Wales, an
                > adult
                > > drama in which he again plays Captain Jack.
                > >
                > > The ex-Dancing on Ice contestant has presenting experience on BBC kids'
                > show
                > > Live and Kicking.
                > >
                > > Siubhan Richmond, executive producer of This Morning, said: "We are
                > > delighted that John will present This Morning with Fern during Phillip
                > > Schofield's Easter break.
                > >
                > > "I have no doubt he will bring his own unique brand of humour and fun to
                > > This Morning."

                Patrick Power
                http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

                American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
                http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

              • Don
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
                  I get the impression that Jack started out as the hero, as a member of
                  the Time Patrol (or something like that), but when he discovered that
                  they wiped a full year of memories from his mind he felt betrayed.
                  This is when he went Rogue, on a one man quest to find the truth.

                  --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
                  just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
                  seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 16, 2006
                    Am I right in thinking that we still know almost nothing about Jack's
                    mysterious original employers?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 17, 2006
                      I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

                      wrote:

                      > I thougth Captain Jack was always a rogue with a heart of gold. He
                      just need heroic circumstances to be heroic in. I imagine we will still
                      seee a good bitof rogue in him in Torchwood.

                      Patrick Power
                      http://BugEyedMonsterSociety.bravehost.com

                      American Whovian: A Site for U.S. Doctor Who Fans
                      http://americanwhovian.bravehost.com/

                      Yahoo! Mail

                    • starhawk2197
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 18, 2006
                        <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

                        > I think he just grew up wanting to be Han Solo. LOL

                        I think the cover Jack uses in 1941 London covers a great deal of
                        who we're supposed to see Jack as. In British fiction American
                        volunteers in the RAF before Dec.'41, were generally seen as heroic,
                        happy-go-lucky swashbuckler types. Davies said he wanted an American
                        type action hero. Stephen Mofatt seems to have prefered Gene Kelly's
                        D'artangion, Burt Lancaster's "Crimsom Pirate," and Erol
                        Flynn's "Robin Hood," as his model for American Action Heros.

                        Jack's former employers seem to be somewhat modeled onthe
                        European view of the CIA. It occures to me that, just as the Doctor
                        was wrong about the Daleks being wiped out, there may be other
                        Galifreyans still around, and the secret masters of the Time Patrol.
                        Neither, the Master, the Rani, the Valiyard, the War Chief, nor the
                        Meddler, would be a good choice for the secret master of the Time
                        Patrol. Susan or Romana, if corrupted or trapped into bad choices,
                        would make far more dangerous foes.
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 19, 2006
                          Thanks for those musings. RTD's (apparent) premise that there are no
                          other surviving Time Lords is obviously absurd. The idea that all the
                          Daleks "out there" might turn up for the Time War is one thing. But
                          all the Time Lords, including all the renegades? C'mon!!!

                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>