Comments on My Comments

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2008
      First off, I am not from Santa Monica. I live in Santa Ana.

      I got involved watching Doctor Who in 1979 when a local station was
      showing season 12-15 cut-up with commercials. December 1, 1979, I
      went to the world's first US Doctor Who convention. The day after, I
      got Tom Baker's autograph. I found out there was far more to the show
      besides Robot through The Invasion of Time. I saw The Daemons. I saw
      part one there of The Nightmare of Eden and I saw an uncut version of
      Robot episode 1.

      As an American, I soon found out everything I could about the show.
      Seeing Hartnell for the first time made my jaw drop. The same with
      Troughton. I even made friends with John Nathan-Turner and Anthony
      Ainley. I may not be from the UK but I sure as heck know what I'm
      talking about when I am talking about the Doctor Who universe.

      Just because Doctor Who has a low budget is no excuse for a Sontaran
      armor battle suit to look like sculpted foam rubber. I caught all the
      heavy-handed references to Agatha Christie novels in "Wasp". They
      were being cute with themselves. You call a story "The Unicorn and
      the Wasp". The Unicorn is a famous jewel thief, but when the thief is
      unmasked, nothing is done with it. It made for a good title. The
      title made The Unicorn just as important as the Wasp. The Unicorn
      seemed not to be very important to the writer or the production of the
      show. That was sloppy writing and production. I expect more from the
      show than Davies has been delivering this season. I am hoping the
      matter of the Unicorn will be dealt with by Journey's End. But then,
      that may be hoping for too much.

      The dark way that Doctor callously killed Martha's clone was a little
      too dark for me.

      Yes, I did like Silence in the Library, except for one big thing that
      will not spoil things for anybody. They used the music used for
      "Partners in Crime" over again. That bouncy score did not fit at all
      in the episode.

      For those that do not know, Who and Torchwood and Sarah Jane are all
      in the same universe. What affects one show, affects the other. As a
      member of Torchwood is scheduled to be in the Who finale in five
      Saturdays, it makes Who even more relevant to be talked about here.

      Doctor Who, as a show, is capable of far more than they are delivering
      to its core audience. I, as a fan, expect the show to live up to its
      potential. The current two-parter seems to be doing that, but we can
      only wait and see.

      Thanks,

      Dean L. Kaufman
      Santa Ana, CA USA