Re: [torchwood] John's ID

  • Kaki4
    Message 1 of 26 , May 31, 2008
      From: "Craig J. Ries" <silvanthalas@...>

      > The only thing I ever found funny with Barrowman's American accent is
      > when he uses British pronunciations for words. The one that stands out
      > the most was in the premier episode, where he says the word 'estrogen'.
      > I had to listen to it a couple of times before I could figure out what
      > he was trying to say. :)

      Not that it is his accent per se, but it's funny to me to hear his accent
      saying rubbish or snog or willie (should that by y or ie?).

      Then again, he also says shedule instead of skedule for the word schedule.
      On one of the what is my day like youtube vids (might have been a series
      extra), he talks about his busy shedule. I had to rewind twice to catch it.

      Then again he's had close to 20 years post being in America full time to
      pick up non-US slang. And, for that matter, we aren't uniform over here.
      If JB starts saying 'you guys' or, for that matter, 'y'all' I'll be even
      more surprised.

      On Torchwood, the funniest accent issue for me was trying to figure out
      Ianto's 'innovative'. I had to ask someone for an interpretation. Part of
      it is that he said it softly with his hear down so the my usual lip shape
      queues didn't work too well either.

      Kaki
    • Angela
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Anna Hayward" <alienvisitor@...>
        wrote:

        > Well said Robyn,
        >
        > I am personally fed up of the obsessive fannishness John Barrowman
        seems to
        > engender - he's not perfect,

        of course he isn't, he's human. :o)

        > I don't worship him like a god,

        I don't either. that'd be wierd.

        Snowy
      • Anna Hayward
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hi Snowy,

          The weirdest fannishness I have encountered was a middle-aged woman who is
          practically stalking JB, to the extent that she is trying to collect the
          autographs of his partner and family, and talks about them as if she knows
          them all personally! When I challenged her that maybe this wasn't respectful
          to John and his relations, her comment was that if people want to be famous,
          they have to put up with it. It's their job, she said (and yes, she meant
          Scott and his mum and dad too!).

          Another one was a younger woman who admitted to having sent John her used
          undies - Gross! No wonder he doesn't like opening fan mail without gloves on
          these days.

          But apart from the nutters, there are the people who would physically attack
          you if you said you weren't that into him - a woman I met in a queue at an
          autograph show was asking people why they were fans of John, given that she
          thought he was a bit of a vain queen. I thought she was entitled to her
          opinion, but some other fans were getting pretty leary and angry with her. I
          said I thought John had probably heard worse.

          The very worst so-called fans though were the ones who stood there in the
          queue to see John, bemoaning his sexual orientation. The worst was a woman
          who kept screeching, in a loud voice, "I wish he was Normal, don't you?" She
          was 65 if she was a day! Another fan behind me, on hearing these outrageous
          comments, sarcasticly muttered under her breath "And if he was straight,
          he'd be into grannies, would he?" But this didn't stop Mrs 'Normal' who kept
          badgering me about how much nicer John would be if he was normal, don't I
          wish he was normal, maybe he needed to meet the right woman to turn him
          normal and so on. I told her I wouldn't know, since I wasn't 'Normal' but
          she didn't get the hint.

          I've gone off fan events for some reason. must be the fans :^

          Anna
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - from Strictly Ballroom

          _____

          > I am personally fed up of the obsessive fannishness John Barrowman
          seems to
          > engender - he's not perfect,

          of course he isn't, he's human. :o)

          > I don't worship him like a god,