RE: [torchwood] Dissapointment

  • Thomas N. Beck
    Message 1 of 46 , May 29, 2008
      Sure, and one of the disappointments I mentioned (one of the very few I've encountered during 25 years in Doctor Who fandom) was a writer whose works I loved and had been looking forward to meeting, and who turned out to be an obnoxious drunken sot (I won't mention the name, but if you were there you know exactly who I'm talking about). I still love this writer's work, which is what really matters.

      My only point was, for the most part, the writers and producers know far more about the show than the actors and often are more willing to spend a lot of time hanging out with the fans than the actors are. In Doctor Who fandom, especially, the writers are usually fans themselves. At least, that has been my experience from years and years of conventions.

      =====================================

      Tom Beck

      "If God could do the things we can do, He'd be a happy man." -- Eli Cross [Peter O'Toole], 'The Stunt Man' (1980)

      On Thursday, May 29, 2008, at 12:12PM, "Anna Hayward" <alienvisitor@...> wrote:
      >Tom,
      >
      >My brother-in-law and several friends are writers - several more ex-friends
      >(I've been used for free research over the years and have finally realised
      >and cut such "friends" loose). I would never put everyone of the same
      >profession in the same box, but some writers are real egotists and a right
      >pain. My BIL treating my wedding like a PR opportunity, for instance <Grrrr>
      >
      >Then again, my hero, Russell T. Davies is a lovely man who I cannot imagine
      >ever even dreaming of doing such a thing. I've never met him myself, but I
      >know people who work for the BBC and they all speak highly of him.
      >
      >I ought to mention at this point that my ambition is to write myself, albeit
      >academic writing. If I start turning into an idiot, someone kick me or
      >something please.
      >
      >Anna
    • vaultsofhorror
      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 2, 2008
        >>>Gareth ... Apparently he's a genuinely nice guy who
        can't work out what all the fuss is about. Hope that helps!

        Well, it sounds like no worries for the autograph queue. :)

        Now I just have to decide if blowing a thousand bucks for
        airfare/hotel/convention passes, all for a one-minute walk
        by is worth it. I could always drive (3-1/2 hours each way)
        and just stay one night instead of the whole weekend...that
        would take $600.00 off the bill. Decisions, decisions...

        Don