Differences in looks and acting in US and UK (was Re: [torchwood] Re: The Captain's Pistol)

  • Kaki4
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2008
      I'm very curious what folks think are signature 'looks' for the US and the
      UK (specifically for 40ish men). Likewise what are diferences in behavior.
      Also, if talking involves more than the accent and slang, I'd be curious
      about that, too.

      Kaki

      > being born in Glasgow doesn't make him Glawigeian. He grew up in the
      > Midwestern US from the age of 8. That makes him from the Midwest of the US
      > which is evidenced in the way he looks and the way he talks and the way he
      > acts.
    • xmadbrilliant
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2008

        --
        Exactly I can see some common things that he does thats hard to
        explain but he's very American.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2008
          I have no idea what the signature looks and behavior are for the UK, but I think the looks for the US are to look just as perfect as possible. If they have the money, the game is on.

          I've read more than once that John thinks of himself as a Glaswegian. He said he was so glad to return 'home' when he went back to Scotland in 1989. He has dual citizenship, I believe, but he leans very heavily on being Scottish.

          My biggest problem with John has been his hair, but I believe he recently got a cut that looks much better; in fact, it's the same cut he had when he first appeared in Doctor Who. Another problem I have with him is what I perceive to be his 'split personbality.' Sometimes he's such a goody-goody and at other times a very naughty boy. I think that description applies to just about anyone whose whole life is a stage, and it depends on whom he's presenting to.

          Our John is a very vain boy. After I've taken a good look at Scott, I find myself wondering if he doesn't indulge in some of that stuff. He's 44 (maybe 45 - I don't know his birthdate), and he looks younger than John.

          They all do what they feel they need to do - or not to do - whether they're in the UK or the US. I think it just goes with the entertainment environment.

          Robyn

          Message 4 of 7 , May 28, 2008
            From: "xmadbrilliant" <songtosaygoodbye@...>
            snip
            > tell UK actors aren't as obsessed with having to look perfect. And you
            > can tell John has caps the rest of them have normal teeth.

            I'd have guessed a strong likelihood of braces, but I don't see any reason
            to think caps. Most folks I know his age and younger have teeth that look a
            lot like that (allowing for the fact that JB opens his mouth a lot and shows
            more of his teeth than the rest of us do).

            Kaki
          • xmadbrilliant
            Message 5 of 7 , May 28, 2008
              I figure braces possibly as well but I noticed that the bottom of his
              teeth are competly smooth and that makes me think caps over just being
              braces.

            • Chris Elray
              Message 6 of 7 , May 28, 2008
                Well actually I think that is a generalization ... and here's another one. John Barrowman also happens to be proudly Gay whether he's American or Scottish. And gay men are FAR more obsessed with their appearance than straight men. He's immaculate whatever he is in, be it Torchwood, a dog wedding, or a daytime talk show. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Tim Gunn, etc etc ... So if you are going to generalize about the correlation between appearance and ethnic origins, I suppose gender preference is fair game too ..

                Whichever way you look at JB ... he's immaculate, clean, classy, sassy and proud to be who he is. He's here, he's queer, he's gay, he's here to stay ...

                Cliff
                * Don't Tell Me Why Not .. Tell Me How Can *

                To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: kaki4@...: Wed, 28 May 2008 23:22:39 -0400Subject: Re: Differences in looks and acting in US and UK (was Re: [torchwood] Re: The Capta

                ----- Original Message ----- From: "xmadbrilliant" <songtosaygoodbye@...>snip> tell UK actors aren't as obsessed with having to look perfect. And you> can tell John has caps the rest of them have normal teeth.>I'd have guessed a strong likelihood of braces, but I don't see any reason to think caps. Most folks I know his age and younger have teeth that look a lot like that (allowing for the fact that JB opens his mouth a lot and shows more of his teeth than the rest of us do).Kaki

              • Blue Rose
                Message 7 of 7 , May 29, 2008
                  Interestingly, my teeth were like that without needing dental correction. I
                  guess some people are just born lucky. :)

                  On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM, xmadbrilliant <songtosaygoodbye@...>
                  wrote:

                  > -
                  > Exactly I can see some common things that he does thats hard to
                  > explain but he's very American.
                  > But one thing that amused me when I first started watching Torchwood I
                  > made a joke you can spot the American by the teeth. From what I can
                  > tell UK actors aren't as obsessed with having to look perfect. And you
                  > can tell John has caps the rest of them have normal teeth.

                  --
                  Email: bluerose156@...
                  AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156