Re: [torchwood] Re: RE: BBC America on Demand

  • nyc blkboy
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2008
      sorry i forgot that people actually have analog cable. I;ve had digital
      cable for about 10 years now. And scfi and when i did have bbc america was
      on the basic digital cable system.

      tj

      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

      > At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
      >
      > >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
      > >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
      > >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
      > >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
      > >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
      > >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
      > >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
      > >BBC America channel.
      > >
      > >tj
      >
      > hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
      > basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
      > basic DIGITAL package
      >
      > from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
      > NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
      > purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
      > cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
      > and location to location
      >
      > pfyre
      > --

      "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
      capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
      labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2008
        No, you haven't missed anything. We don't have it.

        On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

        > I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.!
        > Have BBCAmerica, but not
        > BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place,
        > I just can't
        > find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list
        > it at all either.
        >
        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carol <knitnfool@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County,
        > Virginia
        > > and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
        > > have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
        > > Network.)

      • Judy J.
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2008
          They have the last three episodes on our BBC on Demand and I've watched all three so many times, I'm cross-eyed. But, I'll probably do it again before the week is over.

          Ju
        • nyc blkboy
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2008
            Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who that
            way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by downloading
            a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law. But for doctor who
            and torchwood i would risk it.

            Btw -- i'm in Brooklyn ny too. And i also have cable vision :( And i hate
            not having a choose. :(

            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2008
              At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
              >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
              >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
              >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
              >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

              actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
              via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
              from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
              is illegal

              in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
              service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

              in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
              one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
              mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

            • nyc blkboy
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                well i'm sure its technically illegal but i seriously doubt the bbc is going
                to make the effort to sue me in the US. But when torchwood and doctor who
                wasn't available at all in the US i did download them. and everyone who has
                been sued has been for uploading not downloading. and i would gladly pay to
                recieve it legally if i had the option.

                tj

                On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                > At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                >
                > >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                > >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                > >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                > >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.
                >
                > actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                > via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                > from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                > is illegal
                >
                > in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                > service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned
                >
                > in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                > one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                > mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes
                > --

                "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

              • Anne Buckborough
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                  When I tried torrenting a TW file, it messed up my computer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it on my own, but I was convinced I was going to have to take it to be repaired. Ironically, only a week later, ITunes put up all TW episodes for sale. (gnashing of teeth) And I still haven't watched that episode, amazingly enough.

                  At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                  >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                  >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                  >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                  >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                  actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                  via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                  from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                  is illegal

                  in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                  service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                  in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                  one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                  mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                • beatlefanfcb
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                    Comcast has a monopoly on cable services in most of the counties in
                    the Baltimore area. In this area the On Demand option is only
                    available to Comcast digital subscribers. BBC America is only
                    available to digital subscribers, but Sci Fi is part of the standard
                    cable package.

                    One word of warning: apparently the on demand material is distributed
                    to the various cable companies and they in turn make it available to
                    their subscribers. Exit Wounds did not turn up on our Comcast system
                    until four days after it was scheduled to be available. Since the
                    last regular broadcast on BBC occurred before it was scheduled to
                    appear on On Demand, if the cable system screws up and the show
                    doesn't turn up on On Demand, you are out of luck until it comes out
                    on DVD.

                    Frank Caesar Branchini
                    Edgewater, MD, USA
                  • beatlefanfcb
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                      I thought I would share the response I got from BBC American when I
                      contacted them about Exit Wounds not being available on On Demand.
                      I think this is a fancy way of saying we really don't give a darn.

                      Frank Caesar Branchini
                      Edgewater, MD, USA

                      Dear Frank,

                      Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to
                      hear you've been enjoying BBC America's "Torchwood" and are always
                      pleased to hear from our loyal viewers. Although we are unable to
                      provide you with the information you've requested, please rest
                      assured that BBC America takes the opinions and suggestions of
                      viewers such as you very seriously and have forwarded your request
                      on to the appropriate department(s).

                      We thank you again for your comments.

                      Regards,
                      Stephanie
                      Viewer Relations
                      BBC America

                      Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up,
                      please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
                    • KR
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                        Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                        but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I
                        think it's more along the lines of "we can't do much
                        and therefore will keep our reply pretty vague".

                        KR
                      • nyc blkboy
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                          Well i guess what it shown and when it up to BBC america and the particular
                          cable provider.Since it cost so much to run cable lines, like phone lines,
                          Cities usually give one provider a monopoly in that area. I can't wait till
                          i can get FIOS. I could go satellite but the internet connection is slower
                          and that really all i need to get any program. I know i have some what of a
                          choice and most people don't have any. satellite only in alot of area of the
                          USA.

                          tj

                          Message 12 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                            > Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                            > but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I

                            I have worked in customer service for 20 years. The organizations I
                            work for frequently receive requests for assistance with problems
                            that are outside our field. While I am often not in a position to
                            directly address the problem, I always try to direct the person to
                            the appropriate agency and whenever possible I pass along the
                            information to the appropriate agency.

                            This lets the agency know that there is some one else looking to
                            them to respond, in addition to the person with the problem. In my
                            opinion, it creates a little bit more of a push to get them to
                            respond.

                            Both BBC America (see their website!) and Comcast heavily promote On
                            Demand as a service they offer to their customers. As I have
                            learned that service is unreliable. I believe the problem is most
                            likely at the cable provider end (Comcast) and I have not finished
                            addressing the problem with Comcast. But if BBC America were really
                            concerned about making On Demand work they would also be addressing
                            this issue with Comcast. The very least they could do was forward
                            my complaint to Comcast and/or provide information about whom I
                            should be contacting at Comcast.

                            When BBC America On Demand doesn't work, it makes BBC America look
                            bad.

                            The reply I recieved from BBC America sounds to me like a form
                            letter that is sent out when the sender really has no intention of
                            doing anything at all.

                            Frank Caesar Branchini
                            Edgewater, MD, USA