Re: [torchwood] Re: RE: BBC America on Demand

  • nyc blkboy
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2008
      sorry i forgot that people actually have analog cable. I;ve had digital
      cable for about 10 years now. And scfi and when i did have bbc america was
      on the basic digital cable system.

      tj

      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

      > At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
      >
      > >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
      > >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
      > >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
      > >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
      > >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
      > >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
      > >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
      > >BBC America channel.
      > >
      > >tj
      >
      > hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
      > basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
      > basic DIGITAL package
      >
      > from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
      > NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
      > purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
      > cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
      > and location to location
      >
      > pfyre
      > --

      "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
      capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
      labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2008
        Brooklyn was divvied up between Time Warner and Cablevision... it sucks that we don't have a choice, we are stuck with whatever company serves the neighborhood -- and it seems that TW got the more 'posh' areas!

        Max (Midwood Brooklyn - stuck with cablevision)

        > BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new
        > york city and
        > i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it isn't
        > offered and
        > i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my friend has it
        > on time
        > warner. It seems differnt cable companies have differnt deals
        > even in the
        > same city. If you had BBC America its usually a basic cable
        > station not
        > requiring you to pay any extra for the channel. The on demand
        > chan is
        > usually free too if you have the BBC America channel.
        >
        > tj
        >
        > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM, wrote:
        >
        > > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I
        > sure can't
        > > find
        > > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
        > >
        > > Anyone know?
        > >
        > > Anna

        > > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
        > > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made
        > for BBC
        > > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be
        > present in
        > > > this version.

        > > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
        > > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)
        > > --
        > >
        > > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
        > twists on
        > > family
        > > favorites at AOL Food.
        > > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

        > --
        > "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there
        > should be
        > capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just
        > take the safety
        > labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

        Namaste,
        Max (Maxime@...)
        http://stores.ebay.com/Shopping-the-Rift

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2008
          No, you haven't missed anything. We don't have it.

          On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

          > I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.!
          > Have BBCAmerica, but not
          > BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place,
          > I just can't
          > find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list
          > it at all either.
          >
          > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carol <knitnfool@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County,
          > Virginia
          > > and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
          > > have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
          > > Network.)

        • Judy J.
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2008
            They have the last three episodes on our BBC on Demand and I've watched all three so many times, I'm cross-eyed. But, I'll probably do it again before the week is over.

            Ju
          • nyc blkboy
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2008
              Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who that
              way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by downloading
              a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law. But for doctor who
              and torchwood i would risk it.

              Btw -- i'm in Brooklyn ny too. And i also have cable vision :( And i hate
              not having a choose. :(

              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                is illegal

                in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

              • nyc blkboy
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                  well i'm sure its technically illegal but i seriously doubt the bbc is going
                  to make the effort to sue me in the US. But when torchwood and doctor who
                  wasn't available at all in the US i did download them. and everyone who has
                  been sued has been for uploading not downloading. and i would gladly pay to
                  recieve it legally if i had the option.

                  tj

                  On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                  > At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                  >
                  > >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                  > >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                  > >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                  > >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.
                  >
                  > actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                  > via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                  > from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                  > is illegal
                  >
                  > in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                  > service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned
                  >
                  > in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                  > one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                  > mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes
                  > --

                  "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                  capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                  labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

                • Anne Buckborough
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                    When I tried torrenting a TW file, it messed up my computer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it on my own, but I was convinced I was going to have to take it to be repaired. Ironically, only a week later, ITunes put up all TW episodes for sale. (gnashing of teeth) And I still haven't watched that episode, amazingly enough.

                    At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                    >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                    >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                    >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                    >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                    actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                    via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                    from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                    is illegal

                    in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                    service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                    in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                    one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                    mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                  • beatlefanfcb
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                      Comcast has a monopoly on cable services in most of the counties in
                      the Baltimore area. In this area the On Demand option is only
                      available to Comcast digital subscribers. BBC America is only
                      available to digital subscribers, but Sci Fi is part of the standard
                      cable package.

                      One word of warning: apparently the on demand material is distributed
                      to the various cable companies and they in turn make it available to
                      their subscribers. Exit Wounds did not turn up on our Comcast system
                      until four days after it was scheduled to be available. Since the
                      last regular broadcast on BBC occurred before it was scheduled to
                      appear on On Demand, if the cable system screws up and the show
                      doesn't turn up on On Demand, you are out of luck until it comes out
                      on DVD.

                      Frank Caesar Branchini
                      Edgewater, MD, USA
                    • beatlefanfcb
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                        I thought I would share the response I got from BBC American when I
                        contacted them about Exit Wounds not being available on On Demand.
                        I think this is a fancy way of saying we really don't give a darn.

                        Frank Caesar Branchini
                        Edgewater, MD, USA

                        Dear Frank,

                        Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to
                        hear you've been enjoying BBC America's "Torchwood" and are always
                        pleased to hear from our loyal viewers. Although we are unable to
                        provide you with the information you've requested, please rest
                        assured that BBC America takes the opinions and suggestions of
                        viewers such as you very seriously and have forwarded your request
                        on to the appropriate department(s).

                        We thank you again for your comments.

                        Regards,
                        Stephanie
                        Viewer Relations
                        BBC America

                        Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up,
                        please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
                      • KR
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                          Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                          but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I
                          think it's more along the lines of "we can't do much
                          and therefore will keep our reply pretty vague".

                          KR
                        • nyc blkboy
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                            Well i guess what it shown and when it up to BBC america and the particular
                            cable provider.Since it cost so much to run cable lines, like phone lines,
                            Cities usually give one provider a monopoly in that area. I can't wait till
                            i can get FIOS. I could go satellite but the internet connection is slower
                            and that really all i need to get any program. I know i have some what of a
                            choice and most people don't have any. satellite only in alot of area of the
                            USA.

                            tj

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                              > Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                              > but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I

                              I have worked in customer service for 20 years. The organizations I
                              work for frequently receive requests for assistance with problems
                              that are outside our field. While I am often not in a position to
                              directly address the problem, I always try to direct the person to
                              the appropriate agency and whenever possible I pass along the
                              information to the appropriate agency.

                              This lets the agency know that there is some one else looking to
                              them to respond, in addition to the person with the problem. In my
                              opinion, it creates a little bit more of a push to get them to
                              respond.

                              Both BBC America (see their website!) and Comcast heavily promote On
                              Demand as a service they offer to their customers. As I have
                              learned that service is unreliable. I believe the problem is most
                              likely at the cable provider end (Comcast) and I have not finished
                              addressing the problem with Comcast. But if BBC America were really
                              concerned about making On Demand work they would also be addressing
                              this issue with Comcast. The very least they could do was forward
                              my complaint to Comcast and/or provide information about whom I
                              should be contacting at Comcast.

                              When BBC America On Demand doesn't work, it makes BBC America look
                              bad.

                              The reply I recieved from BBC America sounds to me like a form
                              letter that is sent out when the sender really has no intention of
                              doing anything at all.

                              Frank Caesar Branchini
                              Edgewater, MD, USA