Re: [torchwood] Re: RE: BBC America on Demand

  • nyc blkboy
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2008
      sorry i forgot that people actually have analog cable. I;ve had digital
      cable for about 10 years now. And scfi and when i did have bbc america was
      on the basic digital cable system.

      tj

      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

      > At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
      >
      > >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
      > >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
      > >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
      > >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
      > >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
      > >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
      > >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
      > >BBC America channel.
      > >
      > >tj
      >
      > hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
      > basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
      > basic DIGITAL package
      >
      > from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
      > NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
      > purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
      > cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
      > and location to location
      >
      > pfyre
      > --

      "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
      capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
      labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2008
        Optimum /Cablevision does not carry it either....

        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2008
          Brooklyn was divvied up between Time Warner and Cablevision... it sucks that we don't have a choice, we are stuck with whatever company serves the neighborhood -- and it seems that TW got the more 'posh' areas!

          Max (Midwood Brooklyn - stuck with cablevision)

          > BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new
          > york city and
          > i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it isn't
          > offered and
          > i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my friend has it
          > on time
          > warner. It seems differnt cable companies have differnt deals
          > even in the
          > same city. If you had BBC America its usually a basic cable
          > station not
          > requiring you to pay any extra for the channel. The on demand
          > chan is
          > usually free too if you have the BBC America channel.
          >
          > tj
          >
          > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM, wrote:
          >
          > > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I
          > sure can't
          > > find
          > > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
          > >
          > > Anyone know?
          > >
          > > Anna

          > > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
          > > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made
          > for BBC
          > > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be
          > present in
          > > > this version.

          > > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
          > > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)
          > > --
          > >
          > > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
          > twists on
          > > family
          > > favorites at AOL Food.
          > > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

          > --
          > "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there
          > should be
          > capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just
          > take the safety
          > labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

          Namaste,
          Max (Maxime@...)
          http://stores.ebay.com/Shopping-the-Rift

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2008
            No, you haven't missed anything. We don't have it.

            On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

            > I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.!
            > Have BBCAmerica, but not
            > BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place,
            > I just can't
            > find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list
            > it at all either.
            >
            > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carol <knitnfool@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County,
            > Virginia
            > > and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
            > > have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
            > > Network.)

          • Judy J.
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2008
              They have the last three episodes on our BBC on Demand and I've watched all three so many times, I'm cross-eyed. But, I'll probably do it again before the week is over.

              Ju
            • nyc blkboy
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who that
                way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by downloading
                a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law. But for doctor who
                and torchwood i would risk it.

                Btw -- i'm in Brooklyn ny too. And i also have cable vision :( And i hate
                not having a choose. :(

                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                  At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                  >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                  >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                  >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                  >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                  actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                  via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                  from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                  is illegal

                  in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                  service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                  in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                  one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                  mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                • nyc blkboy
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                    well i'm sure its technically illegal but i seriously doubt the bbc is going
                    to make the effort to sue me in the US. But when torchwood and doctor who
                    wasn't available at all in the US i did download them. and everyone who has
                    been sued has been for uploading not downloading. and i would gladly pay to
                    recieve it legally if i had the option.

                    tj

                    On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                    > At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                    >
                    > >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                    > >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                    > >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                    > >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.
                    >
                    > actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                    > via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                    > from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                    > is illegal
                    >
                    > in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                    > service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned
                    >
                    > in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                    > one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                    > mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes
                    > --

                    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                    capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                    labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

                  • Anne Buckborough
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                      When I tried torrenting a TW file, it messed up my computer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it on my own, but I was convinced I was going to have to take it to be repaired. Ironically, only a week later, ITunes put up all TW episodes for sale. (gnashing of teeth) And I still haven't watched that episode, amazingly enough.

                      At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                      >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                      >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                      >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                      >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                      actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                      via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                      from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                      is illegal

                      in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                      service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                      in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                      one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                      mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                    • beatlefanfcb
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                        Comcast has a monopoly on cable services in most of the counties in
                        the Baltimore area. In this area the On Demand option is only
                        available to Comcast digital subscribers. BBC America is only
                        available to digital subscribers, but Sci Fi is part of the standard
                        cable package.

                        One word of warning: apparently the on demand material is distributed
                        to the various cable companies and they in turn make it available to
                        their subscribers. Exit Wounds did not turn up on our Comcast system
                        until four days after it was scheduled to be available. Since the
                        last regular broadcast on BBC occurred before it was scheduled to
                        appear on On Demand, if the cable system screws up and the show
                        doesn't turn up on On Demand, you are out of luck until it comes out
                        on DVD.

                        Frank Caesar Branchini
                        Edgewater, MD, USA
                      • beatlefanfcb
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                          I thought I would share the response I got from BBC American when I
                          contacted them about Exit Wounds not being available on On Demand.
                          I think this is a fancy way of saying we really don't give a darn.

                          Frank Caesar Branchini
                          Edgewater, MD, USA

                          Dear Frank,

                          Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to
                          hear you've been enjoying BBC America's "Torchwood" and are always
                          pleased to hear from our loyal viewers. Although we are unable to
                          provide you with the information you've requested, please rest
                          assured that BBC America takes the opinions and suggestions of
                          viewers such as you very seriously and have forwarded your request
                          on to the appropriate department(s).

                          We thank you again for your comments.

                          Regards,
                          Stephanie
                          Viewer Relations
                          BBC America

                          Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up,
                          please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
                        • KR
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                            Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                            but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I
                            think it's more along the lines of "we can't do much
                            and therefore will keep our reply pretty vague".

                            KR
                          • nyc blkboy
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                              Well i guess what it shown and when it up to BBC america and the particular
                              cable provider.Since it cost so much to run cable lines, like phone lines,
                              Cities usually give one provider a monopoly in that area. I can't wait till
                              i can get FIOS. I could go satellite but the internet connection is slower
                              and that really all i need to get any program. I know i have some what of a
                              choice and most people don't have any. satellite only in alot of area of the
                              USA.

                              tj

                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                                > Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                                > but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I

                                I have worked in customer service for 20 years. The organizations I
                                work for frequently receive requests for assistance with problems
                                that are outside our field. While I am often not in a position to
                                directly address the problem, I always try to direct the person to
                                the appropriate agency and whenever possible I pass along the
                                information to the appropriate agency.

                                This lets the agency know that there is some one else looking to
                                them to respond, in addition to the person with the problem. In my
                                opinion, it creates a little bit more of a push to get them to
                                respond.

                                Both BBC America (see their website!) and Comcast heavily promote On
                                Demand as a service they offer to their customers. As I have
                                learned that service is unreliable. I believe the problem is most
                                likely at the cable provider end (Comcast) and I have not finished
                                addressing the problem with Comcast. But if BBC America were really
                                concerned about making On Demand work they would also be addressing
                                this issue with Comcast. The very least they could do was forward
                                my complaint to Comcast and/or provide information about whom I
                                should be contacting at Comcast.

                                When BBC America On Demand doesn't work, it makes BBC America look
                                bad.

                                The reply I recieved from BBC America sounds to me like a form
                                letter that is sent out when the sender really has no intention of
                                doing anything at all.

                                Frank Caesar Branchini
                                Edgewater, MD, USA