Re: [torchwood] Re: RE: BBC America on Demand

    Message 1 of 21 , May 4 12:33 PM
      At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
      >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
      >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
      >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
      >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
      >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
      >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
      >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
      >BBC America channel.
      >
      >tj

      hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
      basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
      basic DIGITAL package

      from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
      NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
      purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
      cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
      and location to location

      pfyre

    • nyc blkboy
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4 1:19 PM
        sorry i forgot that people actually have analog cable. I;ve had digital
        cable for about 10 years now. And scfi and when i did have bbc america was
        on the basic digital cable system.

        tj

        On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:33 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

        > At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
        >
        > >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
        > >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
        > >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
        > >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
        > >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
        > >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
        > >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
        > >BBC America channel.
        > >
        > >tj
        >
        > hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
        > basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
        > basic DIGITAL package
        >
        > from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
        > NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
        > purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
        > cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
        > and location to location
        >
        > pfyre
        > --

        "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
        capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
        labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

        Message 3 of 21 , May 4 1:49 PM
          Optimum /Cablevision does not carry it either....

          Message 4 of 21 , May 4 1:58 PM
            Brooklyn was divvied up between Time Warner and Cablevision... it sucks that we don't have a choice, we are stuck with whatever company serves the neighborhood -- and it seems that TW got the more 'posh' areas!

            Max (Midwood Brooklyn - stuck with cablevision)

            > BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new
            > york city and
            > i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it isn't
            > offered and
            > i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my friend has it
            > on time
            > warner. It seems differnt cable companies have differnt deals
            > even in the
            > same city. If you had BBC America its usually a basic cable
            > station not
            > requiring you to pay any extra for the channel. The on demand
            > chan is
            > usually free too if you have the BBC America channel.
            >
            > tj
            >
            > On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM, wrote:
            >
            > > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I
            > sure can't
            > > find
            > > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
            > >
            > > Anyone know?
            > >
            > > Anna

            > > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
            > > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made
            > for BBC
            > > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be
            > present in
            > > > this version.

            > > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
            > > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)
            > > --
            > >
            > > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
            > twists on
            > > family
            > > favorites at AOL Food.
            > > (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)

            > --
            > "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there
            > should be
            > capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just
            > take the safety
            > labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

            Namaste,
            Max (Maxime@...)
            http://stores.ebay.com/Shopping-the-Rift

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 21 , May 4 2:07 PM
              No, you haven't missed anything. We don't have it.

              On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

              > I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.!
              > Have BBCAmerica, but not
              > BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place,
              > I just can't
              > find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list
              > it at all either.
              >
              > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carol <knitnfool@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County,
              > Virginia
              > > and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
              > > have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
              > > Network.)

            • Judy J.
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4 2:14 PM
                They have the last three episodes on our BBC on Demand and I've watched all three so many times, I'm cross-eyed. But, I'll probably do it again before the week is over.

                Ju
              • nyc blkboy
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4 2:28 PM
                  Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who that
                  way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by downloading
                  a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law. But for doctor who
                  and torchwood i would risk it.

                  Btw -- i'm in Brooklyn ny too. And i also have cable vision :( And i hate
                  not having a choose. :(

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4 4:19 PM
                    At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                    >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                    >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                    >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                    >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                    actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                    via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                    from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                    is illegal

                    in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                    service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                    in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                    one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                    mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                  • nyc blkboy
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4 4:44 PM
                      well i'm sure its technically illegal but i seriously doubt the bbc is going
                      to make the effort to sue me in the US. But when torchwood and doctor who
                      wasn't available at all in the US i did download them. and everyone who has
                      been sued has been for uploading not downloading. and i would gladly pay to
                      recieve it legally if i had the option.

                      tj

                      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                      > At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                      >
                      > >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                      > >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                      > >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                      > >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.
                      >
                      > actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                      > via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                      > from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                      > is illegal
                      >
                      > in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                      > service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned
                      >
                      > in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                      > one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                      > mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes
                      > --

                      "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                      capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                      labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

                    • Anne Buckborough
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4 6:03 PM
                        When I tried torrenting a TW file, it messed up my computer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it on my own, but I was convinced I was going to have to take it to be repaired. Ironically, only a week later, ITunes put up all TW episodes for sale. (gnashing of teeth) And I still haven't watched that episode, amazingly enough.

                        At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                        >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                        >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                        >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                        >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                        actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                        via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                        from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                        is illegal

                        in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                        service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                        in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                        one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                        mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                      • beatlefanfcb
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 5 3:18 PM
                          Comcast has a monopoly on cable services in most of the counties in
                          the Baltimore area. In this area the On Demand option is only
                          available to Comcast digital subscribers. BBC America is only
                          available to digital subscribers, but Sci Fi is part of the standard
                          cable package.

                          One word of warning: apparently the on demand material is distributed
                          to the various cable companies and they in turn make it available to
                          their subscribers. Exit Wounds did not turn up on our Comcast system
                          until four days after it was scheduled to be available. Since the
                          last regular broadcast on BBC occurred before it was scheduled to
                          appear on On Demand, if the cable system screws up and the show
                          doesn't turn up on On Demand, you are out of luck until it comes out
                          on DVD.

                          Frank Caesar Branchini
                          Edgewater, MD, USA
                        • beatlefanfcb
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 5 4:15 PM
                            I thought I would share the response I got from BBC American when I
                            contacted them about Exit Wounds not being available on On Demand.
                            I think this is a fancy way of saying we really don't give a darn.

                            Frank Caesar Branchini
                            Edgewater, MD, USA

                            Dear Frank,

                            Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to
                            hear you've been enjoying BBC America's "Torchwood" and are always
                            pleased to hear from our loyal viewers. Although we are unable to
                            provide you with the information you've requested, please rest
                            assured that BBC America takes the opinions and suggestions of
                            viewers such as you very seriously and have forwarded your request
                            on to the appropriate department(s).

                            We thank you again for your comments.

                            Regards,
                            Stephanie
                            Viewer Relations
                            BBC America

                            Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up,
                            please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
                          • KR
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 5 4:34 PM
                              Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                              but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I
                              think it's more along the lines of "we can't do much
                              and therefore will keep our reply pretty vague".

                              KR
                            • nyc blkboy
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 6 1:11 AM
                                Well i guess what it shown and when it up to BBC america and the particular
                                cable provider.Since it cost so much to run cable lines, like phone lines,
                                Cities usually give one provider a monopoly in that area. I can't wait till
                                i can get FIOS. I could go satellite but the internet connection is slower
                                and that really all i need to get any program. I know i have some what of a
                                choice and most people don't have any. satellite only in alot of area of the
                                USA.

                                tj

                                Message 15 of 21 , May 6 6:04 AM
                                  > Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                                  > but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I

                                  I have worked in customer service for 20 years. The organizations I
                                  work for frequently receive requests for assistance with problems
                                  that are outside our field. While I am often not in a position to
                                  directly address the problem, I always try to direct the person to
                                  the appropriate agency and whenever possible I pass along the
                                  information to the appropriate agency.

                                  This lets the agency know that there is some one else looking to
                                  them to respond, in addition to the person with the problem. In my
                                  opinion, it creates a little bit more of a push to get them to
                                  respond.

                                  Both BBC America (see their website!) and Comcast heavily promote On
                                  Demand as a service they offer to their customers. As I have
                                  learned that service is unreliable. I believe the problem is most
                                  likely at the cable provider end (Comcast) and I have not finished
                                  addressing the problem with Comcast. But if BBC America were really
                                  concerned about making On Demand work they would also be addressing
                                  this issue with Comcast. The very least they could do was forward
                                  my complaint to Comcast and/or provide information about whom I
                                  should be contacting at Comcast.

                                  When BBC America On Demand doesn't work, it makes BBC America look
                                  bad.

                                  The reply I recieved from BBC America sounds to me like a form
                                  letter that is sent out when the sender really has no intention of
                                  doing anything at all.

                                  Frank Caesar Branchini
                                  Edgewater, MD, USA