Re: [torchwood] Re: RE: BBC America on Demand

  • nyc blkboy
    Message 1 of 21 , May 4, 2008
      BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york city and
      i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it isn't offered and
      i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my friend has it on time
      warner. It seems differnt cable companies have differnt deals even in the
      same city. If you had BBC America its usually a basic cable station not
      requiring you to pay any extra for the channel. The on demand chan is
      usually free too if you have the BBC America channel.

      tj

      On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM, <doxisrcool@...> wrote:

      > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I sure can't
      > find
      > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
      >
      > Anyone know?
      >
      > Anna
      >

      > >>USA:
      > >
      > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
      > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made for BBC
      > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be present in
      > > this version.

      > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
      > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)

      "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
      capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
      labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

    • alba8613
      Message 2 of 21 , May 4, 2008
        I have Cox also and they don't seem to have it. Annoying. I e-mailed them to request
        that they add it.

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, doxisrcool@... wrote:

        > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I sure can't find
        > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
        >
        > Anyone know?
        >
        > Anna
        >

        > >>USA:
        > >
        > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
        > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made for BBC
        > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be present in
        > > this version.

        > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
        > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)
        -----------
        > --
        >

        > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family
        > favorites at AOL Food.

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 21 , May 4, 2008
          Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County, Virginia
          and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
          have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
          Network.)

          On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:10 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

          > I have Cox also and they don't seem to have it. Annoying. I e-mailed
          > them to request
          > that they add it.

        • alba8613
          Message 4 of 21 , May 4, 2008
            I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.! Have BBCAmerica, but not
            BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place, I just can't
            find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list it at all either.

            Message 5 of 21 , May 4, 2008
              --- In <mailto:torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>torchwood@yahoogroups.com,
              doxisrcool@... wrote:

              >I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I sure
              >can't find it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
              >
              >Anyone know?
              >
              >Anna

              generally speaking *IF* you have the digital cable package from your
              cable provider that includes BBC America - it will also include BBC
              America OnDemand -- however this is a very generalized statement -
              all cable providers are not alike - check with yours - I can tell you
              that Time Warner Cable and Comcast Cable systems do include BBC
              America OnDemand in the same package that includes BBC America

              that said - even within some cable systems there are exceptions and
              there are of course differences btwn cable providers - for instance -
              I have the premium package that includes HBO, CineMax, TMC, Showtime,
              Starz, Encore and Sundance - and I get the OnDemand service for HBO,
              CineMax and Showtime - I do NOT however get the OnDemand service for
              either Encore or Starz - and the reason is some sort of cost dispute
              btwn Time Warner and Starz - SIGH

              basically it's consumer be aware and keep bugging your provider if
              they don't carry what you want

              pfyre
              Message 6 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                At 03:04 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                >BBC America is not offered on every cable system. I'm in new york
                >city and i have cable vision. I don't have BBC America because it
                >isn't offered and i have no choise of my cable provider :( But my
                >friend has it on time warner. It seems differnt cable companies have
                >differnt deals even in the same city. If you had BBC America its
                >usually a basic cable station not requiring you to pay any extra for
                >the channel. The on demand chan is usually free too if you have the
                >BBC America channel.
                >
                >tj

                hmmm... BBC America like SciFi Channel are not consider a part of the
                basic cable package in most cases - they are considered a part of the
                basic DIGITAL package

                from most people I know across the U.S. - SciFi and BBC America are
                NOT considered to be a part of the basic package - they can be
                purchased either individually or as part of the 'upgraded' digital
                cable basic package - but again this varies from company to company
                and location to location

                pfyre

              • nyc blkboy
                Message 7 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                  sorry i forgot that people actually have analog cable. I;ve had digital
                  cable for about 10 years now. And scfi and when i did have bbc america was
                  on the basic digital cable system.

                  tj

                  Message 8 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                    Optimum /Cablevision does not carry it either....

                    > I must not have one of the "better cable systems" because I sure
                    > can't find
                    > it on Cox. Or is it a specialty we have to pay extra for?
                    >
                    > Anyone know?
                    >
                    > Anna
                    >

                    > >>USA:
                    > >
                    > > BBC America On Demand - available on better digital cable systems
                    > > Full length episodes (no cuts for time). Content edits made
                    > for BBC
                    > > America TV broadcasts (language, violence, nudity) will be
                    > present in
                    > > this version.

                    > Help charity while you surf! _www.goodsearch.com_
                    > (http://www.goodsearch.com/)
                    > -------------
                    > --
                    >

                    > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new
                    > twists on family
                    > favorites at AOL Food.

                    Namaste,
                    Max (Maxime@...)
                    http://stores.ebay.com/Shopping-the-Rift

                  • maxngerry@optonline.net
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                      Brooklyn was divvied up between Time Warner and Cablevision... it sucks that we don't have a choice, we are stuck with whatever company serves the neighborhood -- and it seems that TW got the more 'posh' areas!

                      Max (Midwood Brooklyn - stuck with cablevision)

                      Message 10 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                        No, you haven't missed anything. We don't have it.

                        On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 3:29 PM, alba8613 <alba8613@...> wrote:

                        > I realized I didn't write that very clearly. I'm also in Fairfax Co.!
                        > Have BBCAmerica, but not
                        > BBCA On Demand - unless I'm a complete idiot and it's in some weird place,
                        > I just can't
                        > find it. Am I right that they don't have it? Their website didn't list
                        > it at all either.
                        >
                        > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Carol <knitnfool@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Must depend on where in the country you are. I'm in Fairfax County,
                        > Virginia
                        > > and I have Cox with BBC America. It is in their variety(?) tier, so I do
                        > > have to pay extra to get it (and I do because it also gives me the NHL
                        > > Network.)

                      • Judy J.
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                          They have the last three episodes on our BBC on Demand and I've watched all three so many times, I'm cross-eyed. But, I'll probably do it again before the week is over.

                          Ju
                        • nyc blkboy
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                            Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who that
                            way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by downloading
                            a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law. But for doctor who
                            and torchwood i would risk it.

                            Btw -- i'm in Brooklyn ny too. And i also have cable vision :( And i hate
                            not having a choose. :(

                            Message 13 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                              At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                              >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                              >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                              >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                              >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                              actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                              via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                              from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                              is illegal

                              in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                              service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                              in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                              one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                              mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                            • nyc blkboy
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                                well i'm sure its technically illegal but i seriously doubt the bbc is going
                                to make the effort to sue me in the US. But when torchwood and doctor who
                                wasn't available at all in the US i did download them. and everyone who has
                                been sued has been for uploading not downloading. and i would gladly pay to
                                recieve it legally if i had the option.

                                tj

                                On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

                                > At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                                >
                                > >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                                > >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                                > >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                                > >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.
                                >
                                > actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                                > via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                                > from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                                > is illegal
                                >
                                > in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                                > service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned
                                >
                                > in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                                > one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                                > mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes
                                > --

                                "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be
                                capital punishment for it or anything, but why don't we just take the safety
                                labels off everything and let the problem solve itself?" -- Anonymous

                              • Anne Buckborough
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 4, 2008
                                  When I tried torrenting a TW file, it messed up my computer. Fortunately, I was able to fix it on my own, but I was convinced I was going to have to take it to be repaired. Ironically, only a week later, ITunes put up all TW episodes for sale. (gnashing of teeth) And I still haven't watched that episode, amazingly enough.

                                  At 05:28 PM 5/4/2008, nyc blkboy, annotated:
                                  >Honestly just download from the internet. I even download doctor who
                                  >that way a few hours before it finishes in the UK. I don't think by
                                  >downloading a tv show from another country i'm breaking any US law.
                                  >But for doctor who and torchwood i would risk it.

                                  actually torrenting or any other way of downloading TV shows [EXCEPT
                                  via officially authorized and/or paid venues (i.e. iTunes or directly
                                  from the BBC site which is only available to those in the UK anyway)]
                                  is illegal

                                  in general MOST studios and corporations will sic the lawyers on any
                                  service that allows for downloads that is NOT officially sanctioned

                                  in practice - many studios, etc. will turn a blind eye as long as no
                                  one is making money off their copyrighted materials but that doesn't
                                  mean they won't go after people if the mood strikes

                                • beatlefanfcb
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                                    Comcast has a monopoly on cable services in most of the counties in
                                    the Baltimore area. In this area the On Demand option is only
                                    available to Comcast digital subscribers. BBC America is only
                                    available to digital subscribers, but Sci Fi is part of the standard
                                    cable package.

                                    One word of warning: apparently the on demand material is distributed
                                    to the various cable companies and they in turn make it available to
                                    their subscribers. Exit Wounds did not turn up on our Comcast system
                                    until four days after it was scheduled to be available. Since the
                                    last regular broadcast on BBC occurred before it was scheduled to
                                    appear on On Demand, if the cable system screws up and the show
                                    doesn't turn up on On Demand, you are out of luck until it comes out
                                    on DVD.

                                    Frank Caesar Branchini
                                    Edgewater, MD, USA
                                  • beatlefanfcb
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                                      I thought I would share the response I got from BBC American when I
                                      contacted them about Exit Wounds not being available on On Demand.
                                      I think this is a fancy way of saying we really don't give a darn.

                                      Frank Caesar Branchini
                                      Edgewater, MD, USA

                                      Dear Frank,

                                      Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are delighted to
                                      hear you've been enjoying BBC America's "Torchwood" and are always
                                      pleased to hear from our loyal viewers. Although we are unable to
                                      provide you with the information you've requested, please rest
                                      assured that BBC America takes the opinions and suggestions of
                                      viewers such as you very seriously and have forwarded your request
                                      on to the appropriate department(s).

                                      We thank you again for your comments.

                                      Regards,
                                      Stephanie
                                      Viewer Relations
                                      BBC America

                                      Please do not respond to this email. If you would like to follow-up,
                                      please submit your comments through bbcamerica.com. Thank you!
                                    • KR
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 5, 2008
                                        Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                                        but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I
                                        think it's more along the lines of "we can't do much
                                        and therefore will keep our reply pretty vague".

                                        KR
                                      • nyc blkboy
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                                          Well i guess what it shown and when it up to BBC america and the particular
                                          cable provider.Since it cost so much to run cable lines, like phone lines,
                                          Cities usually give one provider a monopoly in that area. I can't wait till
                                          i can get FIOS. I could go satellite but the internet connection is slower
                                          and that really all i need to get any program. I know i have some what of a
                                          choice and most people don't have any. satellite only in alot of area of the
                                          USA.

                                          tj

                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 6, 2008
                                            > Yes, I'm thinking that just about sums up their reply,
                                            > but I don't think it's necessarily not "caring", I

                                            I have worked in customer service for 20 years. The organizations I
                                            work for frequently receive requests for assistance with problems
                                            that are outside our field. While I am often not in a position to
                                            directly address the problem, I always try to direct the person to
                                            the appropriate agency and whenever possible I pass along the
                                            information to the appropriate agency.

                                            This lets the agency know that there is some one else looking to
                                            them to respond, in addition to the person with the problem. In my
                                            opinion, it creates a little bit more of a push to get them to
                                            respond.

                                            Both BBC America (see their website!) and Comcast heavily promote On
                                            Demand as a service they offer to their customers. As I have
                                            learned that service is unreliable. I believe the problem is most
                                            likely at the cable provider end (Comcast) and I have not finished
                                            addressing the problem with Comcast. But if BBC America were really
                                            concerned about making On Demand work they would also be addressing
                                            this issue with Comcast. The very least they could do was forward
                                            my complaint to Comcast and/or provide information about whom I
                                            should be contacting at Comcast.

                                            When BBC America On Demand doesn't work, it makes BBC America look
                                            bad.

                                            The reply I recieved from BBC America sounds to me like a form
                                            letter that is sent out when the sender really has no intention of
                                            doing anything at all.

                                            Frank Caesar Branchini
                                            Edgewater, MD, USA