RE: [torchwood] Abandonment of Jack

  • Anna Hayward
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,

      "Confused"? Oh I so hate that, don't you? I believe RTD was saying way-back
      when that the character of Captain Jack was envisaged as coming from a time
      when all our 21st centuary hang-ups about sex and gender (who you're
      supposed to do it with, how you're supposed to do it with them etc) had been
      overcome. With (presumably) no risk of STDs or unwanted pregnancy, people
      were much more relaxed about the issue. He stated that Capt. Jack would not
      see any problems with having sex with someone and then killing them, and
      that he wouldn't necessarily see sex as exclusively related to love. i.e the
      character was intended to be promiscuous, but not out of any deep seating
      "issues", just because that was normal in his 51st century culture. IMHO, we
      pathologise promiscuity in our society - we consider it a problem, rather
      than just a personal choice (speaking as a strictly monogamous person).

      Of course, that isn't polyamory, which is about being capable fo romantic
      love and attachment with more than one partner at one time, but I think
      we're agreed that by this point, Jack is more polyamorous than a 51st
      Century swinger! IMHO, it's obvious with the Ianto thing that maybe Jack's
      getting soft, spending too much time in the 21st century with all our
      "feelings" getting mixed into our sexuality, LOL. With Capt. John, perhaps
      (and this is just speculation), it was a relationship based on sex and
      little else, but now Jack wants more (albeit not from John) and maybe John
      wants more as well (only he wants more from Jack), which is maybe part of
      the problem between those two?.

      Sorry if I get boring about this, but this too relates very much to current
      issues in the gay community, where you get a lot of people who say they want
      uncomplicated sex without the "hassle" of falling in love, and then you find
      them crying into their beer because their last "shag" didn't fall in love
      with them! I do often wonder if the character of Jack in TW is a sci-fi
      version of the character of Stuart in "Queer as Folk": both promiscuous guys
      who in the end, just want to settle down <grin>

      Anna
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - from Strictly Ballroom

      _____

      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

        > At 08:16 PM 3/31/2008, psatinshein, annotated:

        > >I am a frequent reader, and watcher, but a reluctant writer here -
        > >guess I am more of a lurker, but I have a question about "from out
        > >of the rain". Jack mentioned that he "worked" for a group
        > >investigating the night travelers. I understand that he worked in
        > >another travelling show as "the man who couldn't die". I wonder if
        > >we know the "group" he was working for? I know that he worked with
        > >the Dr., but since I have not seen all the DW episodes, I am
        > >thinking that maybe I have missed something.
        > >
        > >Any help would be appreciated!
        > >
        > >Wolfyne
        >
        > my guess is that he's referring to Torchwood - as it would be in
        > existence at that time since the queen had already established it
        > protect the earth from alien influence and most especially the
        Doctor
        > - my vote is that the group was an early version of Torchwood One
        >
        > pfyre
        >
        > --

        If he was with Torchwood way back in the beginning wouldn't he have
        been aware of the old man in the eppy were that were send back in
        time and he met his namesake? The guy who let the monster thru the
        rift? He was torchwood.

        Donna