Re: [torchwood] Abandonment of Jack

  • Carole Maddern
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1, 2008
      Yes, this has really been bugging me too! I can't understand why Jack is so generous to the Doctor who seems to have treated him so badly, as if it was HIS fault Rose brought him back...150 years waiting is a harsh punishment. I've been having an ongoing row with my 10 year old daughter, asking her (she's a huge Dr fan) 'WHY did the Doctor try to leave Jack behind when he finally caught hold of the Tardis? I'd love it if anyone has a reasonable interpretation?
      Carole

      Chris Elray <adultstuff@...> wrote:

      What do the members of the group feel about Jack being abandoned by the Doctor both initially after Rose & the Heart of the Tardis brought him back to life and in doing so made him immortal, and later at the end of "Last of the Time Lords" when the Doctor disables his time travel bracelet so that Jack has to stay on Earth ..?

      The only reason the Doctor gives is that Jack "ought not to be" .. that he is an aberration because he was made immortal by the TARDIS. This from a Time Lord who can regenerate, possibly indefinitely. And from a Time Lord who wanted "The Master" to regenerate and travel with him, albeit as a prisoner, with the Master having killed billions of humans in the most evil and malevolent way. He can abandon a hero, but not a killer?

      Jack takes it in his stride and still loves the Doctor. Hmmmm!

      What am I missing here?

      I would also imagine that if a bomb (especially a nuclear one) vapourized Jack (or the Doctor) it would be hard for either of them to regenerate/come back to life. Even a dismembering would present problems. Jist as well they never get killed in that fashion ...

      Cliff
      *don't tell me why not .. tell me how can *

      To: torchwood@yahoogroups.comFrom: pfyre@...: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:36:08 -0400Subject: Re: [torchwood] questions about "from out of the rain"

      At 08:16 PM 3/31/2008, psatinshein, annotated:>s>>p>>o>>i>>l>>e>>r>>s>>p>>a>>c>>e>>S>P>O>I>L>E>R>>S>P>A>C>E>>I am a frequent reader, and watcher, but a reluctant writer here - I >guess I am more of a lurker, but I have a question about "from out >of the rain". Jack mentioned that he "worked" for a group >investigating the night travelers. I understand that he worked in >another travelling show as "the man who couldn't die". I wonder if >we know the "group" he was working for? I know that he worked with >the Dr., but since I have not seen all the DW episodes, I am >thinking that maybe I have missed something.>>Any help would be appreciated!>>Wolfynemy guess is that he's referring to Torchwood - as it would be in existence at that time since the queen had already established it to protect the earth from alien influence and most especially the Doctor - my vote is that the group was an early version of Torchwood Onepfyre--Precious and rare all Love is, gender matters not.
    • donnawinky
      Message 41 of 41 , Apr 2, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, pfyre <pfyre@...> wrote:

        > At 08:16 PM 3/31/2008, psatinshein, annotated:

        > >I am a frequent reader, and watcher, but a reluctant writer here -
        > >guess I am more of a lurker, but I have a question about "from out
        > >of the rain". Jack mentioned that he "worked" for a group
        > >investigating the night travelers. I understand that he worked in
        > >another travelling show as "the man who couldn't die". I wonder if
        > >we know the "group" he was working for? I know that he worked with
        > >the Dr., but since I have not seen all the DW episodes, I am
        > >thinking that maybe I have missed something.
        > >
        > >Any help would be appreciated!
        > >
        > >Wolfyne
        >
        > my guess is that he's referring to Torchwood - as it would be in
        > existence at that time since the queen had already established it
        > protect the earth from alien influence and most especially the
        Doctor
        > - my vote is that the group was an early version of Torchwood One
        >
        > pfyre
        >
        > --

        If he was with Torchwood way back in the beginning wouldn't he have
        been aware of the old man in the eppy were that were send back in
        time and he met his namesake? The guy who let the monster thru the
        rift? He was torchwood.

        Donna