Re: [torchwood] Torchwood in the US

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 170 , Jan 3, 2007
      On 02/01/07, Ask me <cyber_corsair@...> wrote:
      > I just go done watching the last two eps of Torchwood and I think the
      > show is great but I not sure how it would run here in the US. The
      > homosexuality underlining the scrips puts in a very gray area and is
      > one of the first SciFi shows that uses this. I think the cursing can
      > be edited out but how do you cut out 2 guys kissing?

      Why would you want to?

      It should run on
      > BBC America and the Sci-fi Channel is doing great with the New Doctor
      > Who but Torchwood would blow the doors off the censors here.

      Why when there's been stuff like The L Word and Queer as Folk on USA TV?

      > I Love the ending but need to know if there is something more coming?

      Yup, Captain Jack is scheduled to appear in two or three episodes of
      the next season of Doctor Who and a second series of Torchwood has
      been commissioned....

      "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"
    • Will Vigar
      Message 170 of 170 , Jan 10, 2007
        On 10/01/07, Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:

        > I can remember Mary being a pain in the BBC's backside, but didn't realise
        > she had a problem with Dr Who, why? what could possibly have been the
        > problem with Dr Who?
        >
        > Pat

        HEr main problem was that it was too scary and too violent for the
        target audience...which was about 7 as far as she was concerned....she
        had a particular problem with....oh hang on what was it
        called....sorry just got up and my brain really isn't
        functioning....the episode where the Tom Baker is in the MAtrix and
        being drowned at the end of an episode....she went absolutely
        ballistic at that claiming that children had to suffer for a whole
        thinking the person that they idolised was dead....

        Even seven year olds know how to play the game....I think she assumed
        that children weren't aware of what a cliff hanger was and couldn't
        comprehend that everything was eventually going to go in the Doctors
        favour....even in the 70's/80's kids were a damned sight more media
        savvy than most adults thought.....

        But she also made strange and bizarre claims about anti-christian
        content....because only jesus can die and be resurrected...claims of
        being in league with satan....unsurprisingly, The Daemons (hence my
        comment about wishing she could see Impossible Planet/Satan Pit).

        It wasn't just Who she criticised, but it was a favourite bugbear of
        hers.....she was often on programmes like BiteBaCk, Points of View and
        even 'Thats LIfe' airing her views, mostly because she pretty much
        always managed to make herself look ridiculous...she gave good telly
        ;-)

        --
        "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"