Re: [torchwood] Torchwood in America?

  • Katherine
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
      >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in the
      second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less, personally, but
      the FCC is getting AR.

      The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable network.
      The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows on cable
      tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
      self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies - they'll do
      whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.

      I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is directed to
      the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the SciFi (or
      another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making cuts to
      shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response to
      people writing negative letters about how they were offended by some type of
      content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.

      Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
      -Kath

      On 1/1/07, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

      > The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in
      > the second ep which got a little graphic. I could care less, personally, but
      > the FCC is getting AR.
      >
      > Luke Williams <luke1175@...> wrote: if you watch the
      > episodes - most of the swearing is on
      > Close-ups that can be easily cut out for US tv. Also
      > several UK show shown on American TV just silence the
      > swearing (really annoying) and cut out bedroom scenes.
      >
      > All this is done, even though there is a rating system
      > on TV programs for 10 years now.
      > --- Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:
      >
      > > My main worry on getting it sold in the US is the
      > > adult content. Might be a little much for Sci Fi
      > > Channel.
      > >
      > > Benjamin Elliott <bfelliott@...> wrote:
      > > From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
      > > > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
      > > > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks ahed of time.
      > >
      > > Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas
      > > network to declare they
      > > bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they
      > > air it, you could try
      > > to arrange to see those broadcasts.)
      > >
      > > Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here.
      > > They'll try to sell
      > > Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD
      > > boxset will be scheduled. If
      > > someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled
      > > but before it is
      > > released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that
      > > last minute purchaser
      > > gets to air the show.
      > >
      > > I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm
      > > also certain we'll get a
      > > TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll
      > > get first.
      > >
      > > Benjamin Elliott
      > >

      > > Patrick Power
      > > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
      > > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
      > >
      > > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You
      > > Looking for Your Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates
      > > Yahoo Group!
      > >
      > > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
      > > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
      > >
      > > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
      > > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
      > >
      > > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."
      > > removed]

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
      >

      > Patrick Power
      > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
      > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
      >
      > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You Looking for Your Soulmate?
      > Try The Sci Fi Soulmates Yahoo Group!
      >
      > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
      > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
      >
      > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
      > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
      >
      > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Keith A. Glass
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
        The threat is NOT the FCC. It's anal-retentive hyper-religous types, like
        Dr. James Dobson and his merry crew from "Focus on the Family".

        They'll threaten to pull a HYPERLINK
        "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rakolta"Rakolta on Torchwood. And
        Universal will cave, unless, UP FRONT, it promotes Torchwood as a very adult
        show. . .

        _____

        >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in the
        second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less, personally, but
        the FCC is getting AR.

        The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable network.
        The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows on cable
        tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
        self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies - they'll do
        whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.

        I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is directed to
        the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the SciFi (or
        another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making cuts to
        shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response to
        people writing negative letters about how they were offended by some type of
        content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.

        Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
        -Kath

        .
        HYPERLINK
        "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
        d=376/stime=1167639306/nc1=4299908/nc2=3848531/nc3=3"

        12:47 PM

      • Michael F.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
          From what I've seen, there's very little in Torchwood
          content-wise that you don't already see on BBC America. About the
          only things I've seen where the network draws the line are the F word
          and
          gentalia.

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

          > The threat is NOT the FCC. It's anal-retentive hyper-religous
          types, like
          > Dr. James Dobson and his merry crew from "Focus on the Family".
          >
          > They'll threaten to pull a HYPERLINK
          > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rakolta"Rakolta on Torchwood.
          And
          > Universal will cave, unless, UP FRONT, it promotes Torchwood as a
          very adult
          > show. . .
          >
          > _____

          On Behalf
          > Of Katherine
          > Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 3:14 AM
          > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [torchwood] Torchwood in America?
          >

          > >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff,
          like in the
          > second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less,
          personally, but
          > the FCC is getting AR.
          >
          > The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable
          network.
          > The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows
          on cable
          > tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
          > self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies -
          they'll do
          > whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.
          >
          > I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is
          directed to
          > the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the
          SciFi (or
          > another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making
          cuts to
          > shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response
          > people writing negative letters about how they were offended by
          some type of
          > content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.
          >
          > Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
          > -Kath
          >

          > .
          > HYPERLINK
          > "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
          s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
          > d=376/stime=1167639306/nc1=4299908/nc2=3848531/nc3=3"
          >

          > --
          12/31/2006
          > 12:47 PM
          >

          > --
          12/31/2006
          > 12:47 PM

        • Elizabeth Holden
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
            --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

            > I'm pretty sure that the CBC as a co-producer of
            > Torchwood has the rights the first North
            > American airing of Torchwood. That might be
            > part of the delay here: Until the CBC decides when
            > they'll show it, U.S. stations might be hesitant
            > to buy the show because they won't
            > know when they'll be able to air it.

            I wrote to the CBC and they replied that Torchwood
            would be scheduled after the end of second season
            "Doctor Who", which is still airing here, a few weeks
            behind the U.S. networks.

            namaste,
            Elizabeth
          • Anthony and Jessica
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
              Thank you all from these neophytes here--this thread was very
              informative to our desire to see Torchwood in the US, and must agree
              that any content such as language or sexual cannot be any different
              from the abundance of dramas on BBC America, ---my sentiments echoing
              those of Michael F.'s post below ---we have followed numerous BBC
              shows and to be honest if any of our stuffy fanatics like Dobson and
              Rakolta, it is ridiculous to say the least, the US is so uptight about
              such things.

              Best,
              Anthony and Jessica

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Michael F." <psychotronicman@...>