Torchwood in America?

  • starhawk2197
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 30, 2006
      Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
      availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?

      Thanks ahed of time.
    • Benjamin Elliott
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2006
        From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
        > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
        > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
        >
        > Thanks ahed of time.

        Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas network to declare they
        bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they air it, you could try
        to arrange to see those broadcasts.)

        Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here. They'll try to sell
        Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD boxset will be scheduled. If
        someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled but before it is
        released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that last minute purchaser
        gets to air the show.

        I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm also certain we'll get a
        TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll get first.

        Benjamin Elliott
      • Mustafa Hirji
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2006
          I'm pretty sure that the CBC as a co-producer of Torchwood has the
          rights the first North American airing of Torchwood. That might be
          part of the delay here: Until the CBC decides when they'll show it,
          U.S. stations might be hesitant to buy the show because they won't
          know when they'll be able to air it. Once the CBC has set a date,
          U.S. stations might be more willing to consider buying Torchwood
          since now they'll be able to buy it with a plan for when they'll air it.

          Mustafa Hirji

          On 31-Dec-06, at 5:32 AM, Benjamin Elliott wrote:

          > From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
          > > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
          > > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
          > >
          > > Thanks ahed of time.
          >
          > Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas network to
          > declare they
          > bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they air it, you
          > could try
          > to arrange to see those broadcasts.)
          >
          > Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here. They'll try to sell
          > Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD boxset will be
          > scheduled. If
          > someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled but before it is
          > released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that last minute
          > purchaser
          > gets to air the show.
          >
          > I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm also certain
          > we'll get a
          > TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll get first.
          >
          > Benjamin Elliott

        • Patrick Power
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2006
            My main worry on getting it sold in the US is the adult content. Might be a little much for Sci Fi Channel.

            Benjamin Elliott <bfelliott@...> wrote: From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
            > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
            > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
            >
            > Thanks ahed of time.

            Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas network to declare they
            bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they air it, you could try
            to arrange to see those broadcasts.)

            Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here. They'll try to sell
            Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD boxset will be scheduled. If
            someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled but before it is
            released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that last minute purchaser
            gets to air the show.

            I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm also certain we'll get a
            TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll get first.

            Benjamin Elliott

            Patrick Power

            The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
            http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885

            Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
            http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826

          • Luke Williams
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 31, 2006
              if you watch the episodes - most of the swearing is on
              Close-ups that can be easily cut out for US tv. Also
              several UK show shown on American TV just silence the
              swearing (really annoying) and cut out bedroom scenes.

              All this is done, even though there is a rating system
              on TV programs for 10 years now.
              --- Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

              > My main worry on getting it sold in the US is the
              > adult content. Might be a little much for Sci Fi
              > Channel.
              >
              > Benjamin Elliott <bfelliott@...> wrote:
              > From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
              > > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
              > > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
              > >
              > > Thanks ahed of time.
              >
              > Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas
              > network to declare they
              > bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they
              > air it, you could try
              > to arrange to see those broadcasts.)
              >
              > Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here.
              > They'll try to sell
              > Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD
              > boxset will be scheduled. If
              > someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled
              > but before it is
              > released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that
              > last minute purchaser
              > gets to air the show.
              >
              > I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm
              > also certain we'll get a
              > TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll
              > get first.
              >
              > Benjamin Elliott
              >

              > Patrick Power
              > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
              > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
              >
              > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You
              > Looking for Your Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates
              > Yahoo Group!
              >
              > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
              > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
              >
              > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
              > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
              >
              > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."
              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Patrick Power
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2006
                The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in the second ep which got a little graphic. I could care less, personally, but the FCC is getting AR.

                Luke Williams <luke1175@...> wrote: if you watch the episodes - most of the swearing is on

              • Katherine
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
                  >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in the
                  second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less, personally, but
                  the FCC is getting AR.

                  The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable network.
                  The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows on cable
                  tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
                  self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies - they'll do
                  whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.

                  I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is directed to
                  the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the SciFi (or
                  another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making cuts to
                  shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response to
                  people writing negative letters about how they were offended by some type of
                  content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.

                  Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
                  -Kath

                  On 1/1/07, Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:

                  > The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in
                  > the second ep which got a little graphic. I could care less, personally, but
                  > the FCC is getting AR.
                  >
                  > Luke Williams <luke1175@...> wrote: if you watch the
                  > episodes - most of the swearing is on
                  > Close-ups that can be easily cut out for US tv. Also
                  > several UK show shown on American TV just silence the
                  > swearing (really annoying) and cut out bedroom scenes.
                  >
                  > All this is done, even though there is a rating system
                  > on TV programs for 10 years now.
                  > --- Patrick Power <da_fringe_element@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > My main worry on getting it sold in the US is the
                  > > adult content. Might be a little much for Sci Fi
                  > > Channel.
                  > >
                  > > Benjamin Elliott <bfelliott@...> wrote:
                  > > From: "starhawk2197" <starhawk2197@...>
                  > > > Any hints as to when Torchwood might become
                  > > > availible in America? Either broadcast or DVD?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks ahed of time.
                  > >
                  > > Nothing announced yet. Right now the only overseas
                  > > network to declare they
                  > > bought Torchwood is the CBC in Canada. (So - if they
                  > > air it, you could try
                  > > to arrange to see those broadcasts.)
                  > >
                  > > Doctor Who Series 1 is probably the model here.
                  > > They'll try to sell
                  > > Torchwood for a year or so. If no takers, a DVD
                  > > boxset will be scheduled. If
                  > > someone buys the show after the boxset is scheduled
                  > > but before it is
                  > > released, the DVDs will be postponed till after that
                  > > last minute purchaser
                  > > gets to air the show.
                  > >
                  > > I'm certain we will see DVDs in 2007 or 2008. I'm
                  > > also certain we'll get a
                  > > TV run in 2007 or 2008. Just not certain which we'll
                  > > get first.
                  > >
                  > > Benjamin Elliott
                  > >

                  > > Patrick Power
                  > > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
                  > > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
                  > >
                  > > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You
                  > > Looking for Your Soulmate? Try The Sci Fi Soulmates
                  > > Yahoo Group!
                  > >
                  > > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
                  > > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
                  > >
                  > > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
                  > > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
                  > >
                  > > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."
                  > > removed]

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                  >

                  > Patrick Power
                  > Proud Founder of The Bug-Eyed Monster Society!!!
                  > The B.E.M. Society Yahoo Group Main Page:
                  >
                  > Are you into Sci Fi, Fantasy & Horror? Are You Looking for Your Soulmate?
                  > Try The Sci Fi Soulmates Yahoo Group!
                  >
                  > The Bug-Eyed Monster Society CBR Project
                  > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1034885
                  >
                  > Patrick's KISS & Other Rock-n-Roll Stuff
                  > http://www.savefile.com/projects/1010826
                  >
                  > "A life lived without passion is a life not lived."
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Keith A. Glass
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
                    The threat is NOT the FCC. It's anal-retentive hyper-religous types, like
                    Dr. James Dobson and his merry crew from "Focus on the Family".

                    They'll threaten to pull a HYPERLINK
                    "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rakolta"Rakolta on Torchwood. And
                    Universal will cave, unless, UP FRONT, it promotes Torchwood as a very adult
                    show. . .

                    _____

                    >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff, like in the
                    second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less, personally, but
                    the FCC is getting AR.

                    The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable network.
                    The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows on cable
                    tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
                    self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies - they'll do
                    whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.

                    I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is directed to
                    the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the SciFi (or
                    another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making cuts to
                    shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response to
                    people writing negative letters about how they were offended by some type of
                    content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.

                    Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
                    -Kath

                    .
                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
                    d=376/stime=1167639306/nc1=4299908/nc2=3848531/nc3=3"

                    12:47 PM

                  • Michael F.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
                      From what I've seen, there's very little in Torchwood
                      content-wise that you don't already see on BBC America. About the
                      only things I've seen where the network draws the line are the F word
                      and
                      gentalia.

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

                      > The threat is NOT the FCC. It's anal-retentive hyper-religous
                      types, like
                      > Dr. James Dobson and his merry crew from "Focus on the Family".
                      >
                      > They'll threaten to pull a HYPERLINK
                      > "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Rakolta"Rakolta on Torchwood.
                      And
                      > Universal will cave, unless, UP FRONT, it promotes Torchwood as a
                      very adult
                      > show. . .
                      >
                      > _____

                      On Behalf
                      > Of Katherine
                      > Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 3:14 AM
                      > To: torchwood@yahoogroups.com
                      > Subject: Re: [torchwood] Torchwood in America?
                      >

                      > >The swearing is not as big an issues as the adult sexual stuff,
                      like in the
                      > second ep which got a little >graphic. I could care less,
                      personally, but
                      > the FCC is getting AR.
                      >
                      > The new Doctor Who and Torchwood run on the SciFi channel, a cable
                      network.
                      > The FCC doesn't have the rights to regulate the contents of shows
                      on cable
                      > tv (as apposed to broadcast tv). Any censorship on cable shows is
                      > self-censorship made by the channel according to their policies -
                      they'll do
                      > whatever they think the majority of their consumers will appreciate.
                      >
                      > I bring this up for two reasons. The first is so that blame is
                      directed to
                      > the correct group of people. The second is that if you pay for the
                      SciFi (or
                      > another cable) channel and you don't like the fact they're making
                      cuts to
                      > shows, you can write them a letter. The cuts are made as a response
                      > people writing negative letters about how they were offended by
                      some type of
                      > content. If you want to reverse the process - write your own letter.
                      >
                      > Shout out to all the Torchwood fans from America,
                      > -Kath
                      >

                      > .
                      > HYPERLINK
                      > "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                      s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
                      > d=376/stime=1167639306/nc1=4299908/nc2=3848531/nc3=3"
                      >

                      > --
                      12/31/2006
                      > 12:47 PM
                      >

                      > --
                      12/31/2006
                      > 12:47 PM

                    • Elizabeth Holden
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
                        --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

                        > I'm pretty sure that the CBC as a co-producer of
                        > Torchwood has the rights the first North
                        > American airing of Torchwood. That might be
                        > part of the delay here: Until the CBC decides when
                        > they'll show it, U.S. stations might be hesitant
                        > to buy the show because they won't
                        > know when they'll be able to air it.

                        I wrote to the CBC and they replied that Torchwood
                        would be scheduled after the end of second season
                        "Doctor Who", which is still airing here, a few weeks
                        behind the U.S. networks.

                        namaste,
                        Elizabeth
                      • Anthony and Jessica
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 5, 2007
                          Thank you all from these neophytes here--this thread was very
                          informative to our desire to see Torchwood in the US, and must agree
                          that any content such as language or sexual cannot be any different
                          from the abundance of dramas on BBC America, ---my sentiments echoing
                          those of Michael F.'s post below ---we have followed numerous BBC
                          shows and to be honest if any of our stuffy fanatics like Dobson and
                          Rakolta, it is ridiculous to say the least, the US is so uptight about
                          such things.

                          Best,
                          Anthony and Jessica

                          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Michael F." <psychotronicman@...>