Re: [torchwood] Re: SPOILERS for 2x08 (minor spoiler for2x04)

  • Will vigar
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
      On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra fauvor" <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
      >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the Taurdus.

      ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's 'TARDIS' : Time and Relative Dimension In Space.

      WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!

      Will

      "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream" - Tove Jansson

      Listen to Vest For Tysso at www.myspace.com/vestfortysso
    • scott mccowan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
        ---NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER---

        Here's great idea (though a whiplash collar would have
        to be warn as glasses) get Penélope Cruz and, Salma
        Hayek to appear in Torchwood Dr Who, or Sarah Jane
        Adventrues (yes I did catch Bandidas on Encore or HBO
        the other day-*pant*pant*pant*) oo or even Minnie
        Driver or Rhona Mitra. "DOUBLEYUM BUBBLEGUM!!" :D~

        Secondly 4/5ths knowledge is failing me. I know the
        Doctor has visited Atlantis in "Underwater Menace/the
        Time Monster". I can't think of the third one.
        AHHHHHHHH!!!

        --- Will vigar <willv23@...> wrote:

        > On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra
        > fauvor" <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
        > >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the
        > Taurdus.
        >
        > ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's
        > 'TARDIS' : Time and Relative Dimension In Space.
        >
        > WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!
        >
        > Will
        >
        > "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and
        > dream" - Tove Jansson
        >
        > Listen to Vest For Tysso at
        > www.myspace.com/vestfortysso

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • WhiteShoresGirl
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
          good luck on your first art show. hope you do really well

          i think it was the doctors first companion, Susan, who came up with
          the name TARDIs, because the tells ian in the piolet episode,
          doesn't she???

          Jess

          --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Will vigar <willv23@...> wrote:

          > On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra fauvor"
          <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
          > >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the Taurdus.
          >
          > ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's 'TARDIS' : Time
          and Relative Dimension In Space.

          > WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!
          >
          > Will
          >
          > "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream" - Tove
          Jansson

          > Listen to Vest For Tysso at www.myspace.com/vestfortysso

        • psionycx
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
            She did make that claim, although we have seen other Time Lords use
            the term. Susan may have coined the term as an amusement playing
            with the English language.

            However, we can assume that Time Lords have their own language rather
            than speaking English and so it's doubtful that "TARDIS" is the real
            word in their own language since they wouldn't use either the same
            alphabet nor the same words. The TARDIS's translation field may
            account for the proliferation of the word.

            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteShoresGirl"

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
              i wonder if the TARDIS makes you see the alphabet in something in
              your own language??

              the only thing i can remember in another language was the ancient
              language when Rose and the Doctor found the devil, can't remeber the
              episode, but the TARDIs, and the doctor wouldn't understand it
              because it wasn't supposed to exsist.

              Am i making any sence??

              my claws hit the wrong keys alot there, sorry.

              Jess
              "Do i look like an 'out of bounds' kind of guy?"

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                No, you're correct. In "The Impossible Planet" the Doctor was
                surprised that the TARDIS wasn't translating the writing for him and
                Rose, implying that it was unthinkably ancient or obscure.
                Apparently translation of known writing is included in the effect.

                So a TARDIS might be called something else (possibly an acronym) in
                the Gallifreyan language and Susan decided to come up with the
                English equivalent on a lark.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                  ahhhh, it was 'immpossable planet' thanks, forget, i'm singing enya,
                  so my head is only half here!!!!

                  Jess