Re: SPOILERS for 2x08 (minor spoiler for2x04)

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, rachael thomas <rthomas79@...> wrote:

      > > What almost destroyed this episode for me was how
      > > Gwen suddenly
      > > seemed to run the team.
      > > When did she become boss? Did I miss something in
      > > 2x07?
      >
      > I didn't see it as Gwen suddenly is running the team.
      > Gwen is second in command so is only natural that Jack
      > will let her run with some investigation.

      Okay, then maybe I only missed the part where Gwen became second in command.
      I only remember her *saying* she ran the team while Jack was away.
      I never heard any of the others confirming they had actually accepted Gwen as such.

      Maybe TW is different from a conventional work situation.
      I've known many co-workers who were convinced they were running things in the boss' absence, with the rest of us going "Sure, if it makes you happy to believe that", while continuing to do what we always do :)

      > Jack is
      > still very much the boss in this episode. He was the
      > one who took Owen's job away and later gave it back to
      > him...not Gwen. I think what we saw was Gwen leading
      > an investigation...that is all.

      Could be. It felt different to me.

      > Jack is the boss but
      > sometimes he has to trust his second in command to get
      > a job done.

      Why?
      I didn't get the impression Jack was extremely busy.
      But more importantly, the PTB are always telling us how Gwen is the heart and conscience of Torchwood, mainly because she's still very much in touch with her emotions.
      Regardless of whether this is true or not, while this emotional side just might make her indeed TW's conscience, at the same time it makes her very incapable of running an investigation IMHO.
      If Jack hadn't stopped her, she would have ruined everything in Meat when she suddenly saw Rhys with the bad guys and wanted to rush in.
      To give one example.

      > It would have been nice if we saw Jack and
      > Gwen meeting alone about the case at the beginning of
      > the episode. I feel sometime the writers just throw us
      > into the action without a explanation.

      LOL now here we really see things differently.
      I *hate* seeing Jack and Gwen together.
      Jack can be with anyone, just not Gwen.

      Don't get me wrong.
      I don't hate Gwen. I even like her sometimes.
      Just not when she tries to play boss and not when she gets near Jack :)

      Pat

      http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/
    • debra fauvor
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2008
        Someone had to be the boss when he left on the Taurdus.

        Pat <seagull0031@...> wrote: --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, rachael thomas <rthomas79@...> wrote:

        > > What almost destroyed this episode for me was how
        > > Gwen suddenly
        > > seemed to run the team.
        > > When did she become boss? Did I miss something in
        > > 2x07?
        >
        > I didn't see it as Gwen suddenly is running the team.
        > Gwen is second in command so is only natural that Jack
        > will let her run with some investigation.

        Okay, then maybe I only missed the part where Gwen became second in command.
        I only remember her *saying* she ran the team while Jack was away.
        I never heard any of the others confirming they had actually accepted Gwen as such.

        Maybe TW is different from a conventional work situation.
        I've known many co-workers who were convinced they were running things in the boss' absence, with the rest of us going "Sure, if it makes you happy to believe that", while continuing to do what we always do :)

        > Jack is
        > still very much the boss in this episode. He was the
        > one who took Owen's job away and later gave it back to
        > him...not Gwen. I think what we saw was Gwen leading
        > an investigation...that is all.

        Could be. It felt different to me.

        > Jack is the boss but
        > sometimes he has to trust his second in command to get
        > a job done.

        Why?
        I didn't get the impression Jack was extremely busy.
        But more importantly, the PTB are always telling us how Gwen is the heart and conscience of Torchwood, mainly because she's still very much in touch with her emotions.
        Regardless of whether this is true or not, while this emotional side just might make her indeed TW's conscience, at the same time it makes her very incapable of running an investigation IMHO.
        If Jack hadn't stopped her, she would have ruined everything in Meat when she suddenly saw Rhys with the bad guys and wanted to rush in.
        To give one example.

        > It would have been nice if we saw Jack and
        > Gwen meeting alone about the case at the beginning of
        > the episode. I feel sometime the writers just throw us
        > into the action without a explanation.

        LOL now here we really see things differently.
        I *hate* seeing Jack and Gwen together.
        Jack can be with anyone, just not Gwen.

        Don't get me wrong.
        I don't hate Gwen. I even like her sometimes.
        Just not when she tries to play boss and not when she gets near Jack :)

        Pat

        http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

      • Will vigar
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
          On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra fauvor" <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
          >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the Taurdus.

          ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's 'TARDIS' : Time and Relative Dimension In Space.

          WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!

          Will

          "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream" - Tove Jansson

          Listen to Vest For Tysso at www.myspace.com/vestfortysso
        • scott mccowan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2008
            ---NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER-NON-SPOILER---

            Here's great idea (though a whiplash collar would have
            to be warn as glasses) get Penélope Cruz and, Salma
            Hayek to appear in Torchwood Dr Who, or Sarah Jane
            Adventrues (yes I did catch Bandidas on Encore or HBO
            the other day-*pant*pant*pant*) oo or even Minnie
            Driver or Rhona Mitra. "DOUBLEYUM BUBBLEGUM!!" :D~

            Secondly 4/5ths knowledge is failing me. I know the
            Doctor has visited Atlantis in "Underwater Menace/the
            Time Monster". I can't think of the third one.
            AHHHHHHHH!!!

            --- Will vigar <willv23@...> wrote:

            > On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra
            > fauvor" <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
            > >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the
            > Taurdus.
            >
            > ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's
            > 'TARDIS' : Time and Relative Dimension In Space.
            >
            > WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!
            >
            > Will
            >
            > "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and
            > dream" - Tove Jansson
            >
            > Listen to Vest For Tysso at
            > www.myspace.com/vestfortysso

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • WhiteShoresGirl
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
              good luck on your first art show. hope you do really well

              i think it was the doctors first companion, Susan, who came up with
              the name TARDIs, because the tells ian in the piolet episode,
              doesn't she???

              Jess

              --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Will vigar <willv23@...> wrote:

              > On Tuesday, March 04, 2008, at 01:29AM, "debra fauvor"
              <debrafauvor@...> wrote:
              > >Someone had to be the boss when he left on the Taurdus.
              >
              > ****Not wishing to sound patronising, but that's 'TARDIS' : Time
              and Relative Dimension In Space.

              > WIsh me luck, it's my first art show today!
              >
              > Will
              >
              > "I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream" - Tove
              Jansson

              > Listen to Vest For Tysso at www.myspace.com/vestfortysso

            • psionycx
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                She did make that claim, although we have seen other Time Lords use
                the term. Susan may have coined the term as an amusement playing
                with the English language.

                However, we can assume that Time Lords have their own language rather
                than speaking English and so it's doubtful that "TARDIS" is the real
                word in their own language since they wouldn't use either the same
                alphabet nor the same words. The TARDIS's translation field may
                account for the proliferation of the word.

                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "WhiteShoresGirl"

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                  i wonder if the TARDIS makes you see the alphabet in something in
                  your own language??

                  the only thing i can remember in another language was the ancient
                  language when Rose and the Doctor found the devil, can't remeber the
                  episode, but the TARDIs, and the doctor wouldn't understand it
                  because it wasn't supposed to exsist.

                  Am i making any sence??

                  my claws hit the wrong keys alot there, sorry.

                  Jess
                  "Do i look like an 'out of bounds' kind of guy?"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                    No, you're correct. In "The Impossible Planet" the Doctor was
                    surprised that the TARDIS wasn't translating the writing for him and
                    Rose, implying that it was unthinkably ancient or obscure.
                    Apparently translation of known writing is included in the effect.

                    So a TARDIS might be called something else (possibly an acronym) in
                    the Gallifreyan language and Susan decided to come up with the
                    English equivalent on a lark.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 6, 2008
                      ahhhh, it was 'immpossable planet' thanks, forget, i'm singing enya,
                      so my head is only half here!!!!

                      Jess