OT Suspension of disbelieve NO spoilers (was: Spoilers for 2x08)

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008
      Will Vigar wrote:

      > ***Hmmm. Suspension of disbelief is important, true, but in this episode
      > it was used to hide some very shoddy storytelling. For suspension of
      > disbelief to work, the story has to stay true to it's own internal logic.

      I agree and not just internal logic, generally accepted canon as well.
      Not everything can be reasoned away with "it's only fantasy / (science) fiction, you *must* accept it".
      As a reader / viewer I don't *have* to accept anything.
      Suspension of disbelieve is something an author has to "earn" , it's not something he can demand from his audience.

      The funniest example I ever read was from an author who published a comic book (or animated series, I forgot) about a family of mosquitoes.
      They wore clothes, drove cars etc. They were completely humanised, so to speak.

      He never once received a reaction like "That's not possible. Mosquitoes can't drive cars".
      Everyone accepted that in this particular universe they did.

      Then in one story he had one of his male characters suck blood.
      He said he received hundreds of mails pointing out it's only the females who do that, not the males :)

      Personally I accept a lot, but for some things I'd appreciate at least one line of explanation.
      This does not have to be scientific.

      Q: "How is it possible they entire universe speaks English"
      A: "They don't. They all speak their own language. The TARDIS translates"

      I do not need to know how the TARDIS does that. "Timelord technology" is enough.
      However, I do need the author to let me know, he does not expect me to believe the entire universe speaks English, if that makes sense.

      Pat

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
      A Smarter Inbox. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html