Re: [torchwood] Re: SPOILERS for 2x08

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 39 , Mar 1, 2008
      On 01/03/2008, Chris Elray <adultstuff@...> wrote:

      s> > The secret of true enjoyment of Sci Fi and Fantasy, not to mention
      > action movies like Spiderman, X Men and the like, is to suspend disbelief
      > and leave the analysis at the door ... go with the flow ...

      ***Hmmm. Suspension of disbelief is important, true, but in this episode
      > it was used to hide some very shoddy storytelling. For suspension of
      > disbelief to work, the story has to stay true to it's own internal logic.
      > Alas, this episode didn't make sense, even on it's own terms. For example,
      > the church that was built on top of the glove. Seems fair enough, but why
      > was it not buried instead of being kept in a box in a very obvious place?
      > THey could have had an Indiana Jones style 'search for a lost artifact'
      > episode which would have made more sense that the half arsed creeping
      > around. If the glove drained Marthas life force, why didn't she get it back
      > when the glove was destroyed? The was no proven link between the glove and
      > the 'reaper'.

      THat's before we get to.....

      > OF COURSE Owen can't talk if he can't breath, OF COURSE his muscles can't
      > be kept from atrophying with exercise ..

      but to write perfectly believable stories in a complete fantasy world is
      > unnecessarily limiting ..l I admit it's fun to talk about it .. but .. there
      > will always be technical problems with the credulity of the plot.

      ***true, but when so much of this story contradicted itself, it became
      > farcical. By far the worst episode this season....

      And as for the analysis of the dynamics between the characters, and getting

      --
      "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

      Currently listening to: www.myspace.com/vestfortysso

      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 7, 2008
        In a message dated 03/06/2008 11:17:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        torchwood@yahoogroups.com writes:
        > So a TARDIS might be called something else (possibly an acronym) in
        > the Gallifreyan language and Susan decided to come up with the
        > English equivalent on a lark.
        I reached the same conclusion, it's the most logical explanation.Also,
        perhaps Tardis was the name of the inventor ??Perhaps TORCHWOOD stands for The Only
        Really Cool Headquarters -World Organized Offworld Defenses ?? LOL