Re: TORCHWOOD SPOILERS - Adam, Doctor Who Season 1 & 3

  • Rob Powell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2008
      SPOILER SPACE XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

      "Adam" was a very interesting episode I thought. It gave the writers
      a chance to explore 'what could've beens'

      Gwen saying she loved Rhys and Jack differently is no surprise as
      there are many different levels of love or affection. I think she
      passionately loves Rhys and loves Jack as someone who showed her and
      continues to show her how she matters. Got the impression she wasn't
      really happy as a cop.

      Ianto expressing that Jack bringing him back to Torchwood and giving
      him meaning was very special for me because after the Battle of
      Canary Wharf I'd imagine one very fractured individual there. Jack is
      not only a mentor but one who is helping him heal again.

      Somehow, I wasn't surprised that Owen was emotionally abused as a
      boy. He has always seemed extremely guarded emotionally, almost as
      bad as Jack. The exception was Diane and that made sense because she
      was out of time and he is detached from everything around him as she
      was.

      Toshiko is, at the same time, the strongest and the weakest of the
      team. You can see in her expressions how she is so very alive at work
      but she's afraid that makes her more alienated from the real world.
      In reality that makes her able to deal with so many wildly
      alternating scenarios. She feels first and reasons second as opposed
      to Gwen who reasons first and feels second.

      > I take the episode as it is - solid but not terrific. It was an
      opportunity
      > for the writers to explore and reveal different aspects of the
      characters.
      > For the first time we get a sense of what Ianto really feels about
      Jack
      > ("Coming back to Torchwood gave me a purpose again..YOU. " he says
      to Jack),
      > how Gwen feels (she REALLY loves Rhys, but she says to Jack "But
      not the way
      > I love you" - who knows what that means!), Owen's emotional abuse
      as a
      > child, and Tosh's desperate loneliness. We also get a sense of how
      > emotionally damaged Jack is (his childhood trauma, betrayal by the
      Time