The ultimate spoiler icon

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      http://userpic.livejournal.com/49696795/776902

      It's an animated gif, it should start with "You want warnings?"

      -lynn
    • chuck
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        OMG Darth Vader is Luke's dad......... Star wars is ruined for me now =(

        Just kidding but for me spoilers mean nothing, if someone told me what
        was going to happen in every episode that has not aired I would not
        care. I will still watch because it is the whole episode to me that
        matters not bits and pieces. I actually look for them and say that
        episode will interesting. And on a note about the whole pregnancy
        thing that is more of a what if than a spoiler to me. I mean look at
        all the episodes Owen has had sex with how many people, there could be
        little Owens running around...talk about scary lol. and what about
        Owen and Gwen, they had a few shags too. I do respect others so if is
        a spoiler I would state that, which I think that is what it all comes
        down to is respecting others. If you want to know than take a peak
        otherwise skip it.

        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Lynn <lynnloschin@...> wrote:

        > http://userpic.livejournal.com/49696795/776902
        >
        > It's an animated gif, it should start with "You want warnings?"
        >
        > -lynn

      • Elizabeth Holden
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          --- chuck <zorlord333@...> wrote:

          > Just kidding but for me spoilers mean nothing, if someone told me what
          > was going to happen in every episode that has not aired I would not
          > care.

          The problem is that for some people (myself included) it does matter, very much. And sometimes
          the people who don't care about spoilers themselves, also don't mind spoiling the rest of us, or
          don't understand where our qualms lie.

          I love to be surprised. Television is usually so predictable that surprises in plots are rare and
          wonderful things. I want to keep every potential surprise as a surprise, not something I know in
          advance.

          So I am all in favour of spoiler spaces and warnings in the headings (which seem to me no hardship
          to anyone).

          The alternative is simply not to participate in forums like these. Which I enjoy, especially when
          there are good discussions. So I'd rather hang around, if I can. If I dare.

          > And on a note about the whole pregnancy
          > thing that is more of a what if than a spoiler to me.

          The speculation that Tosh might be pregnant is not, in itself, a spoiler. But it implies that she
          had sex with someone in the episode and so might be preganant, and that is a big spoiler. So what
          you said was a spoiler - speculation based directly on something that happened in the episode,
          which we would not have known about.

          I had seen the episode when you said that, and so didn't care. But if I hadn't seen it, I would
          have been upset, and maybe have got off the list before it could happen again.

          > I mean look at
          > all the episodes Owen has had sex with how many people, there could be
          > little Owens running around...

          Sure. But don't talk about it in any specific sense *before* we've seen episodes with Owen having
          sex with someone. (Besides, Owen's had infinitely more sex with infinitely more people than Tosh
          has.)

          > talk about scary lol.

          It is, actually. (Shudder.)

          > and what about Owen and Gwen, they had a few shags too.

          We can talk about that. That was last season. But not when it's just happened within the week and
          not everyone has been as lucky as you, to have the opportunity to see the show right away.

          > I do respect others so if is
          > a spoiler I would state that,

          I understand that, but I'm not sure you understand exactly what a spoiler is.

          > which I think that is what it all comes
          > down to is respecting others.

          That's it. Absolutely.

          namaste,
          Elizabeth
        • Michelle Gauvreau
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
            Posted by: "chuck" zorlord333@... zorlord333 Tue Feb 5, 2008 8:33 pm (PST)
            <<OMG Darth Vader is Luke's dad......... Star wars is ruined for me now =( >>

            ROFL! That's priceless!

            <<<Just kidding but for me spoilers mean nothing, if someone told me what
            was going to happen in every episode that has not aired I would not
            care. I will still watch because it is the whole episode to me that
            matters not bits and pieces. I actually look for them and say that
            episode will interesting.>>

            I completely understand what your saying, but I feel the opposite way. For me it's important to have a plot unfold in front of me. I'll usually try to guess what's coming and my peak of satisfaction is when I never came close to the actual storyline.

            When I see any message labeled *spoiler* I skip it entirely. That means I read about 1/10th of this daily digest. *LOL*

            <<< And on a note about the whole pregnancy
            thing that is more of a what if than a spoiler to me. I mean look at
            all the episodes Owen has had sex with how many people, there could be
            little Owens running around...talk about scary lol. and what about
            Owen and Gwen, they had a few shags too. >>

            OMG, an army of OWENS???? Now I get it!!! That's the entire Torchwood sub-plot that will wrap up the series finale in season 7. All along Owen was the carrier ... his shagging is an alien fertilization plot and his offspring are undetectable due to similarities with Owen's DNA. They slip under Torchwood's radar, all the while and mount their attack to destroy Torchwood and open the rift forever.

            I can stop watching the show now! Thank you! ;o)

            <<<I do respect others so if is
            a spoiler I would state that, which I think that is what it all comes
            down to is respecting others. If you want to know than take a peak
            otherwise skip it. >>>

            Well said. I would never want to ruin viewership for any fan of the show. I also have new understanding of how long it takes some people to get viewership. By all rights there are fans who haven't seen Season 1 Episode 1 yet. That's gotta be Torchwood Torture!

            Michelle in Memphis

            www.batteriesdirect.com batteries cheaper than retail FREE S&H!!! No incentive given for telling you. Take back respect for your time & money. Frequent merchants who don't artificially inflate shipping and handling costs for profit. Sincerely, Michelle

          • CJ
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
              <The alternative is simply not to participate in forums like these.>

              Here's an alternative to spoilers that works for me. Make a folder and call it Torchwood. If you haven't seen an episode, funnel the group mail in there and then open the folder and read the emails after you have seen it. Just trying to be helpful. :-)

              CJ

              Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...> wrote:

              --- chuck wrote:

              > Just kidding but for me spoilers mean nothing, if someone told me what
              > was going to happen in every episode that has not aired I would not
              > care.

              The problem is that for some people (myself included) it does matter, very much. And sometimes
              the people who don't care about spoilers themselves, also don't mind spoiling the rest of us, or
              don't understand where our qualms lie.

              I love to be surprised.

            • Blue Rose
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                That works if you have an email account that does that. Gmail does not.

                --
                Email: bluerose156@...
                AIM: A Blue Rose 156 YM: blue_rose_156

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                  >That works if you have an email account that does that. Gmail does not.

                  Gmail has the labels & filter options, I think you could use those for it

                  ~Henderica
                  www.henderica.nl

                • Blue Rose
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Yes, but they all arrive in my inbox regardless. I'd still be seeing them.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                      >Yes, but they all arrive in my inbox regardless. I'd still be seeing them.

                      mmh usefull option from gmail.. not ;)

                      ~Henderica
                      www.henderica.nl

                    • Zinnia
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                        On Feb 6, 2008 8:45 AM, Alkwing <alkwing@...> wrote:
                        > >Yes, but they all arrive in my inbox regardless. I'd still be seeing them.
                        >
                        > mmh usefull option from gmail.. not ;)

                        I filter my gmail so that's it's labeled for each list I am on. They
                        do not appear in my inbox (where general mail is dumped) because I
                        specify in the filter to ARCHIVE the mail and bypass the inbox.That
                        way I must click the label name to the left of the mail pane in order
                        to show the mail that has been labeled, for instance, Torchwood. Piece
                        of cake!

                        Gmail is very good at sorting, filtering, and so on. I suggest that,
                        if you haven't mastered filtering/labeling, go read their tutorials on
                        the subject. They're written very well.

                        Nancy Kaminski
                        satisfied gmail user
                      • Elizabeth Holden
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                          --- CJ <cajema2@...> wrote:

                          > <The alternative is simply not to participate in forums like these.>
                          >
                          > Here's an alternative to spoilers that works for me. Make a folder and call it Torchwood.

                          I more or less do that, but I still can't sort by episode unless people put the episode number or
                          title in the heading.

                          namaste,
                          Elizabeth
                        • Craig J. Ries
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                            Blue Rose wrote:
                            > That works if you have an email account that does that. Gmail does not.

                            If spoiler space is used, then you shouldn't have any problems with the
                            preview option of Gmail.

                            Although, another suggestion is to download Thunderbird and use Gmail's
                            pop3 access. :)

                            Craig J. Ries
                          • Blue Rose
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                              Right--which is why I spoke out in favor of using spoiler space in previous
                              posts. It's the people who don't that get me into trouble.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                                --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Michelle Gauvreau <gauvreauma@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Posted by: "chuck" zorlord333@... zorlord333 Tue Feb 5, 2008
                                8:33 pm (PST)
                                > <<OMG Darth Vader is Luke's dad......... Star wars is ruined for me
                                now =( >>

                                > ROFL! That's priceless!
                                >

                                > <<< And on a note about the whole pregnancy
                                > thing that is more of a what if than a spoiler to me. I mean look at
                                > all the episodes Owen has had sex with how many people, there could be
                                > little Owens running around...talk about scary lol. and what about
                                > Owen and Gwen, they had a few shags too. >>

                                actually it seemed like the whole first series was a big shagfest, we
                                had tosh with the alien, the 2nd episode was a big one, owen and gwen
                                (not sure how many), owen and the other girl, jack and ianto, and i
                                bet if they could jack and jack, hmmm wait a minute what about rhys
                                and gwen I can not recall anything?

                                > OMG, an army of OWENS???? Now I get it!!! That's the entire
                                Torchwood sub-plot that will wrap up the series finale in season 7.
                                All along Owen was the carrier ... his shagging is an alien
                                fertilization plot and his offspring are undetectable due to
                                similarities with Owen's DNA. They slip under Torchwood's radar, all
                                the while and mount their attack to destroy Torchwood and open the
                                rift forever.

                                > I can stop watching the show now! Thank you! ;o)

                                LMAO now that was good =) that could actually work