To The Last Man - Major Review & Spoilers

  • Dean L. Kaufman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
      I tried to post this yesterday, but my computer deleted my post when
      I hit the send mode.

      First off, specific mention was made of atrocities made by the
      British military against some two-hundred shell-shocked soldiers.
      Rather than care for them or send them back to the front, World War I
      British soldiers were executed by firing squad for simply being
      broken.

      If this is a true part of British military history, I should would
      like to know for sure. If that is true, what the British military
      did was an injustice.

      Before I go further, something momentous happened on various levels.
      First, on February 13th, after one episode of Torchwood airs on a BBC
      channel, the next one "Reset" with Martha Jones, airs on another BBC
      channel. This will end the current season of Torchwood one week
      earlier than I had thought.

      The next thing concerns the writer's strike, which does not affect
      the UK. US Networks are so desperate for new material that an
      interesting deal was reached with Sci Fi. In April, Sci Fi will
      start to air the 11 "The Sarah Jane Adventures" episodes.

      That's not the best thing. The new season of Doctor Who, which does
      not even have a start date in the UK will start airing in April
      with "Voyage of the Damned" and "Partners In Crime". That means that
      one day, Partners In Crime airs in the UK. A few days later to a
      week or so at the most, Partners In Crime airs in the US, followed by
      twelve other Doctor Who stories. That announced deal is going to
      force the BBC's hand into announcing a start date for the new season
      of Who. With Battlestar Galactica being the only new show coming up,
      Sci Fi needs some guaranteed hits.

      THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CONTAINS A REVIEW AND MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT
      THE NEW EPISODE OF TORCHWOOD CALLED "TO THE LAST MAN". MAJOR
      SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

      In the story "To The Last Man", you get to see Toshi have sex again,
      llanto and Jack kiss, more nasty rift activity and two members of
      Torchwood, circa 1918. The broadcast also ran about 51 minutes.

      It is 1918. At a Cardiff military hospital for wounded and shell-
      shocked soldiers from World War I, two officious members of Torchwood
      come across two figures huddled up against a wall. One is a
      soldier/patient named Tommy and the other is Toshiko Sato. Tommy
      tells them he is next ward and for them to get him out of the
      hospital. Torchwood 1918, a man and woman, take Tommy from his bed
      to a new life...

      Once a year since 1918, Tommy has been taken out of cryogenics at the
      Cardiff Torchwood Hub, awaiting the day of rift activity when he will
      be needed. Torchwood 1918 even left a sealed box that will open when
      rift activity reaches a fever pitch (and last season's rift getting
      blasted open doesn't count?). Inside the box are instructions for
      Torchwood to follow and also for Tosh to follow. Inside with the
      instructions is a pencil sketch of Toshiko Sato.

      The hospital where Tommy was recovering is now being demolished and
      that is accelerating rift activity at the hospital. The past is
      bleeding through. One nurse even yells at Gwen to go away and stop
      haunting the place. While all this is happening, llanto and Jack
      share a hot kiss.

      With the hospital about to be demolished, Torchwood has to work
      fast. Tosh takes Tommy home for a night of hot passionate sex. Tosh
      takes Tommy to the hospital where they pass the important message on
      to Torchwood 1918. Tommy takes his place back in bed with a rift
      key. Tosh and Torchwood run out of the hospital. Tommy either won't
      or can't use the rift key and it looks like doomsday again.

      Tosh offers to be injected with a special drug and hooked up to a
      headset that allows her to astrally project herself to Tommy's
      bedside where she convinces him to turn the rift key. All is well
      again.

      The more I see Naoko Mori, the more beautiful she is. This is a very
      strong Tosh episode. I wish Tosh and Tommy could have stuck around
      as a couple. The show keeps getting stronger.

      Next week's episode "Meat" appears to be about a stolen truck of
      alien meat that somehow involves Gwen's Rhys. He also apparently
      finally finds out what Gwen is up to with Torchwood.

      Dean L. Kaufman
      California
    • badblokebob
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
        > mention was made of atrocities made by the
        > British military against some two-hundred shell-shocked soldiers.
        > Rather than care for them or send them back to the front, World War I
        > British soldiers were executed by firing squad

        This is true, yes, though I was surprised the number was so low. Hundreds/thousands of
        soldiers were executed during World War One for being deserters, which I believe was
        fairly standard military practice at the time. I think many/all have since been pardoned.
        I'm not sure when such things were stopped, but some time before World War Two.

        While I'm here...

        > The new season of Doctor Who, which does
        > not even have a start date in the UK will start airing in April
        > with "Voyage of the Damned" and "Partners In Crime". That means that
        > one day, Partners In Crime airs in the UK. A few days later to a
        > week or so at the most, Partners In Crime airs in the US

        This could be true, but if series 4 was given a UK date of late March, and "Voyage of the
        Damned" aired by itself in late April in the US, there could be closer to a month and a half
        / six weeks between the two airings of "Partners in Crime".
      • Orchid
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2008
          Hello Dean,
          Yes this was true... The soldiers, some as young as 16 were classed as
          deserters and cowards and shot. This was long before they understood the
          concept of PTSD so they were court martialled, as you say for simply being
          broken.
          They were quite rightly pardoned in 2006.

          More information from the BBC site
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4798025.stm
          and
          http://www.shotatdawn.org.uk/index.html

          Pat

          From: "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
          Subject: [torchwood] To The Last Man - Major Review & Spoilers

          > First off, specific mention was made of atrocities made by the
          > British military against some two-hundred shell-shocked soldiers.
          > Rather than care for them or send them back to the front, World War I
          > British soldiers were executed by firing squad for simply being
          > broken.
          >
          > If this is a true part of British military history, I should would
          > like to know for sure. If that is true, what the British military
          > did was an injustice.
        • Marisa
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 4, 2008
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Dean L. Kaufman" <deanlkaufman@...>
            wrote:

            > THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CONTAINS A REVIEW AND MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT
            > THE NEW EPISODE OF TORCHWOOD CALLED "TO THE LAST MAN". MAJOR
            > SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!

            > Torchwood 1918 even left a sealed box that will open when
            > rift activity reaches a fever pitch (and last season's rift getting
            > blasted open doesn't count?).

            I don't mean to be picky, but the sealed box had a temporal lock that
            was tied into the Rift frequencies at the St. Tielos Hospital, rather
            than the Rift itself. So, last season's tear in Time and Space
            wouldn't have affected the temporal lock, unless there had been a
            massive time shift happening at the hospital. Since this was never
            mentioned, and it appeared that it was things coming through the
            cracks, rather than a full on time shift (where both eras coexist for
            a short period of time), I am going to assume it wouldn't have been an
            issue in the case of needing Tommy.

            :) ~Riss