UK vs. US DVDs

  • Hilde S. Ramberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 25, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK and the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US version bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

      Thanks,

      Hilde in Norway

    • Darla
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 27, 2008
        Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1 formatted to
        work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe the
        rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
        helps. --- In
        torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK and
        the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US version
        bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Hilde in Norway

      • Daren:)
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 27, 2008
          I have heard mention that the UK DVD releases have few extra special features BUT if your in the US I think you've Buckleys in finding a player there that could play it

          Daren

          Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1 formatted to
          work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe the
          rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
          helps. --- In
          torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK and
          the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US version
          bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

          > Thanks,
          >
          > Hilde in Norway

        • Merlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
            Hi Daren,
            Just google multi region dvd players and see if there is anything there
            I`ve just got over 30 pages by checking from here in the UK

            Alison aka Merlin

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
              Hello guys,

              I have a multi-region DVD player, so different regions are not a problem. I was just wondering if there are any differences in content, e.g. if the UK version includes more extras than the US version, like Daren suggests.

              Thanks,

              Hilde

              I have heard mention that the UK DVD releases have few extra special features BUT if your in the US I think you've Buckleys in finding a player there that could play it

              Daren

              Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1 formatted to
              work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe the
              rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
              helps. --- In
              torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              >
              > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK and
              the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US version
              bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Hilde in Norway
              .

            • Mark Hadlund
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                According to the BBC website, the extras are the same on the UK and US releases because there would be endless complaints from US fans. Don't know how true it is, but that's the Beebs statement.

                Mark

                "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@...> wrote: Hello guys,

                I have a multi-region DVD player, so different regions are not a problem. I was just wondering if there are any differences in content, e.g. if the UK version includes more extras than the US version, like Daren suggests.

                Thanks,

                Hilde

                I have heard mention that the UK DVD releases have few extra special features BUT if your in the US I think you've Buckleys in finding a player there that could play it

                Daren

                Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1 formatted to
                work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe the
                rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
                helps. --- In
                torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone,
                >
                > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK and
                the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US version
                bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on anything.

                > Thanks,
                >
                > Hilde in Norway
                .

              • msunshne
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                  The DVD's are identical except for Series/Season
                  and cover pictures. The American version had
                  cover art as voted by the public. The
                  commentaries and extras are identical.

                  Melissa

                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                • Hilde S. Ramberg
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                    Great, thanks for your help, Melissa and Mark! :-)

                    Hilde

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                      I purchased a multi-regional DVD player for about $25 US and it works
                      wonderfully.

                      --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Darla" <sg1tattoo@...> wrote:

                      > Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1
                      formatted to
                      > work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe
                      the
                      > rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
                      > helps. --- In
                      > torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello everyone,
                      > >
                      > > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK
                      and
                      > the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US
                      version
                      > bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on
                      anything.

                      > > Thanks,
                      > >
                      > > Hilde in Norway

                    • John Lawton
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                        Which brand and model did you purchase? I'm looking to replace mine as it
                        s on it's last legs and would like to get one that's reliable.

                        John

                        I purchased a multi-regional DVD player for about $25 US and it works
                        wonderfully.

                        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Darla" <sg1tattoo@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Hilde, Darla here in the US: the US DVD's are region 1
                        formatted to
                        > work in our DVD players over here in the US and Canada. I believe
                        the
                        > rest of the world uses region 2 DVD's. Hope that
                        > helps. --- In
                        > torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Hilde S. Ramberg" <Camelot_001@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello everyone,
                        > >
                        > > Does anyone know what the differences are (if any) between the UK
                        and
                        > the US version of the DVD set? I'm thinking of buying the US
                        version
                        > bcause it's much cheaper, but I wouldn't want to miss out on
                        anything.

                        > > Thanks,
                        > >
                        > > Hilde in Norway

                      • Elizabeth Cox
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                          It's trivial to get a dvd player with the region enforcement disabled. I
                          have a Toshiba that plays all dvds. Just search for "region free" or
                          "multi-region" dvd players. Some dvd players can be unlocked
                          yourself, if you can find the right code. Also, some software dvd
                          programs can defeat the region encoding on your computer.
                          Liz

                          On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Daren:\) wrote:

                          > I have heard mention that the UK DVD releases have few extra special features BUT if your in the US I think you've Buckleys in finding a player there that could play it
                          >
                          > Daren

                        • L J Goodrich
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                            I've had a Daewoo region-free player for almost six years now. I had a
                            lot of PAL and Region 2 DVDs I had bought but couldn't play so that's
                            why I searched and finally found one then. I have both UK and US
                            versions of the Torchwood boxset and they're both fab!
                            Lisa G.

                            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Cox <morgaine@...> wrote:

                            > It's trivial to get a dvd player with the region enforcement
                            disabled. I
                            > have a Toshiba that plays all dvds. Just search for "region free"
                            or
                            > "multi-region" dvd players. Some dvd players can be unlocked
                            > yourself, if you can find the right code. Also, some software dvd
                            > programs can defeat the region encoding on your computer.
                            > Liz
                          • Mark Laffitte
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 28, 2008
                              Now if we could just have a Blu-ray that's 'Region Free" I belivet the the Blu Ray (and HD) Disks are RF already. Just would like to play the oldre 'Red Ray' disks as well. Most of my stuff is from other regions, but I'm in the US. And some of my movies are rare ones that would ever be Blu-Ray.

                              It's trivial to get a dvd player with the region enforcement disabled. I
                              have a Toshiba that plays all dvds. Just search for "region free" or
                              "multi-region" dvd players. Some dvd players can be unlocked
                              yourself, if you can find the right code. Also, some software dvd
                              programs can defeat the region encoding on your computer.
                              Liz

                              On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Daren:\) wrote:

                              > I have heard mention that the UK DVD releases have few extra special features BUT if your in the US I think you've Buckleys in finding a player there that could play it
                              >
                              > Daren

                            • Daren:)
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 29, 2008
                                If you look up DVDs on eBay great mention is made of the fact that few US DVD players can play content that was encoded in PAL Format instead of the US's NTSC

                                Daren