Episode 6

  • earnshaw2002
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 20, 2006
      No Spoilers!

      Finally things are starting to come together! I think this was the best
      episode so far. Taut, supenseful,eerie, the pace was good and the
      setting was excellent.

      I don't normally like this kind of subject matter but it was well
      handled and the twists were excellent, both regarding the nature of the
      beast and...well, did anyone really see that last one coming?

      Bill Moore
    • Orchid
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 20, 2006
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 20, 2006
          What's going to be interesting is the fallout from this . . . .

          (still keeping quiet until everyone has seen it. . )

          _____

          >well, did anyone really see that last one coming?

          Yes LOL But I can't say why till everyone's seen the episode :-)

          That aside, it really was a good one, I thought they would have their work
          cut out to beat last weeks but they did

          Pat

          .
          HYPERLINK
          "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
          d=283/stime=1164066390/nc1=3848445/nc2=3848531/nc3=3"

          4:23 PM

        • Elizabeth Holden
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 21, 2006
            --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:

            > What's going to be interesting is the fallout from
            > this . . . .

            Yes, indeed! I'm enjoying speculating.

            > (still keeping quiet until everyone has seen it. . )

            Wish, though we can use spoiler spaces.

            namaste,
            Elizabeth
          • David King
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 24, 2006
              I did not like it at all. I thought there was at least going to be a
              sci-fi/alien connection somewhere, but there was not. It was just a
              waste of a Torchwood episode. The only interesting part was seeing what
              happened with Gwen right at the end.

              Now, have you all seen it so we can discuss without risking spoilers?

              David

              Elizabeth Holden wrote:
              > --- "Keith A. Glass" <salgak@...> wrote:
              >

              >> What's going to be interesting is the fallout from
              >> this . . . .
              >>

              > Yes, indeed! I'm enjoying speculating.
              >

              >> (still keeping quiet until everyone has seen it. . )
              >>

              > Wish, though we can use spoiler spaces.
              >
              > namaste,
              > Elizabeth

            • KarenUK
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                I thought it made it much more chilling that the killers were actually
                HUMANS & NOT aliens!
                Karen (UK).

                >I did not like it at all. I thought there was at least going to be a
                > sci-fi/alien connection somewhere, but there was not. It was just a
                > waste of a Torchwood episode. The only interesting part was seeing what
                > happened with Gwen right at the end.
                >
                > Now, have you all seen it so we can discuss without risking spoilers?
                >
                > David

              • KarenUK
                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                  Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far is the fairies one, but
                  as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)
                  Karen (UK).

                  > No Spoilers!
                  >
                  > Finally things are starting to come together! I think this was the best
                  > episode so far. Taut, supenseful,eerie, the pace was good and the
                  > setting was excellent.
                  >
                  > I don't normally like this kind of subject matter but it was well
                  > handled and the twists were excellent, both regarding the nature of the
                  > beast and...well, did anyone really see that last one coming?
                  >
                  > Bill Moore

                • Elizabeth Holden
                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                    --- KarenUK <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                    > I thought it made it much more chilling that the
                    > killers were actually HUMANS & NOT aliens!

                    Yes, I agree. Put me down as someone who really,
                    really liked this episode. Especially the ending.

                    Now, I don't watch horror movies at all, so I was
                    casual about the horror-movie cliches that were
                    tributes to the genre. Most of all I loved it when we
                    met the cannibals and they were so scary. The head
                    honcho cannibal particularly - was that Huw?

                    David:
                    > >I did not like it at all. I thought there was at
                    > >least going to be a sci-fi/alien connection
                    > >somewhere, but there was not.

                    Does that make a difference?

                    > > The only interesting part was seeing what
                    > > happened with Gwen right at the end.

                    It wasn't the only part that interested me, but it
                    certainly was quite a development. What next? We
                    shall see!

                    namaste,
                    Elizabeth
                  • Mustafa Hirji
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                      I generally liked the episode. I didn't see the cannibal explanation coming
                      and didn't quite believe it at first. I agree that it was much more scary
                      that they were humans.
                      What I STRONGLY hate about this episode is Gwen-Owen. If Gwen is looking for
                      someone to unload her feelings with and work things through, she's not going
                      to jump into bed with Owen the first chance she gets! She'd talk with him!!!
                      And then, maybe, after several weeks it would develop into a bond that makes
                      their relationship something more. But we saw the exact opposite!

                      Owen is a creep, and he seems interested in Gwen mostly for physical
                      pleasure. I think that Gwen should be smart enough to notice that even if
                      she's under lots of stress.

                      That last scene totally destroyed this episode for me.

                      - Mustafa Hirji

                      On 11/25/06, Elizabeth Holden <azurite@...> wrote:

                      > --- KarenUK <nhbr22476@... <nhbr22476%40blueyonder.co.uk>>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > I thought it made it much more chilling that the
                      > > killers were actually HUMANS & NOT aliens!
                      >
                      > Yes, I agree. Put me down as someone who really,
                      > really liked this episode. Especially the ending.
                      >
                      > Now, I don't watch horror movies at all, so I was
                      > casual about the horror-movie cliches that were
                      > tributes to the genre. Most of all I loved it when we
                      > met the cannibals and they were so scary. The head
                      > honcho cannibal particularly - was that Huw?
                      >
                      > David:
                      > > >I did not like it at all. I thought there was at
                      > > >least going to be a sci-fi/alien connection
                      > > >somewhere, but there was not.
                      >
                      > Does that make a difference?
                      >
                      > > > The only interesting part was seeing what
                      > > > happened with Gwen right at the end.
                      >
                      > It wasn't the only part that interested me, but it
                      > certainly was quite a development. What next? We
                      > shall see!
                      >
                      > namaste,
                      > Elizabeth

                    • Orchid
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                        I could see it coming a mile off. There was no way she was going to be able to keep the relatonship going with her other half, not being able to confide in him when she gets home after a hard day battling all sorts of horrors, and not having someone that understands what she is going through.

                        Jack's sexual orientation being on the ambiguous side and Ianto just being wet, there really wasn't anyone left other than Owen. He is possibly using her, but on the other hand we may all be wrong about him, he seemed very concerned and protective of her when she was shot, maybe he needs someone who understands, just as much as Gwen and we did see some attraction between them when they were trapped together in the Autopsy Room in Cyberwoman. I have a feeling his constant search for sex is compensation for not having that someone to understand.

                        Personally I think he has all the charm of a fruit fly and is the one character I feel nothing at all for, not sure if its him personally as an actor, or if its the way the character is written.

                        Pat

                        _._,___

                      • Mustafa Hirji
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                          I think it's the way the character is written (or at least acted). The actor
                          comes across very likeable in all the Torchwood Declassified interviews. For
                          starters, he loses the cocky arrogance that Owen always carries with him.
                          - Mustafa Hirji

                          On 11/25/06, Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:

                          > I could see it coming a mile off. There was no way she was going to be
                          > able to keep the relatonship going with her other half, not being able to
                          > confide in him when she gets home after a hard day battling all sorts of
                          > horrors, and not having someone that understands what she is going through.
                          >
                          > Jack's sexual orientation being on the ambiguous side and Ianto just being
                          > wet, there really wasn't anyone left other than Owen. He is possibly using
                          > her, but on the other hand we may all be wrong about him, he seemed very
                          > concerned and protective of her when she was shot, maybe he needs someone
                          > who understands, just as much as Gwen and we did see some attraction between
                          > them when they were trapped together in the Autopsy Room in Cyberwoman. I
                          > have a feeling his constant search for sex is compensation for not having
                          > that someone to understand.
                          >
                          > Personally I think he has all the charm of a fruit fly and is the one
                          > character I feel nothing at all for, not sure if its him personally as an
                          > actor, or if its the way the character is written.
                          >
                          > Pat

                        • Elizabeth Holden
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                            --- Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:

                            > I could see it coming a mile off. There was no way
                            > she was going to be able to keep the relatonship
                            > going with her other half

                            Well, there were already hints of problems there.

                            > Jack's sexual orientation being on the ambiguous
                            > side

                            Ambiguous? Hardly! Well, to Gwen, maybe. But every
                            interview I've seen about the show, every article, and
                            every bit of advance publicity made a thing about his
                            'omnisexuality'. I think Gwen is attracted to Jack,
                            but also intimidated by him and his mysteries.

                            > and Ianto just being wet,

                            Plus preoccupied at the moment.

                            > there really wasn't
                            > anyone left other than Owen.

                            Aren't you forgetting Tosh?

                            > He is possibly using
                            > her, but on the other hand we may all be wrong about
                            > him, he seemed very concerned and protective of her
                            > when she was shot, maybe he needs someone who
                            > understands,

                            I don't think he's any saint, but he's human, and I
                            think he needs the comfort too.

                            > Personally I think he has all the charm of a fruit
                            > fly

                            Well, yes...

                            > and is the one character I feel nothing at all
                            > for,

                            I find him bland, and I usually like the bad-boy
                            types. But he's so awkward and insecure he comes
                            across as more of a dork than a rogue.

                            > not sure if its him personally as an actor, or
                            > if its the way the character is written.

                            Both, I think.

                            namaste,
                            Elizabeth
                          • Elizabeth Holden
                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                              --- Mustafa Hirji <mustafa.hirji@...> wrote:

                              > I agree that it was much more scary
                              > that they were humans.

                              Yes. That was chilling. Along with their lack of
                              conscience or regeret.

                              > What I STRONGLY hate about this episode is
                              > Gwen-Owen.

                              Heh.

                              > If Gwen is looking for
                              > someone to unload her feelings with and work things
                              > through, she's not going to jump into bed with
                              > Owen the first chance she gets! She'd talk with
                              > him!!!

                              Talk might have been her excuse. I think it was sort
                              of clear that she really wanted the sex.

                              > And then, maybe, after several weeks it would
                              > develop into a bond that makes
                              > their relationship something more. But we saw the
                              > exact opposite!

                              I don't think it will last.

                              > Owen is a creep, and he seems interested in Gwen
                              > mostly for physical pleasure.

                              And you think she's interested in him for his
                              conversation?

                              > I think that Gwen should be smart enough
                              > to notice that even if
                              > she's under lots of stress.

                              I think... it gives her a sort of excuse to give in.
                              He's using her, so it's like permission for her to use
                              him in return.

                              > That last scene totally destroyed this episode for
                              > me.

                              I liked it; I think it's intriguing. I'm looking
                              forward to seeing where it leads. Tosh will be angry,
                              Rhys will be hurt. What else?

                              namaste,
                              Elizabeth
                            • Elizabeth Holden
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 25, 2006
                                --- KarenUK <nhbr22476@...> wrote:

                                > Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far
                                > is the fairies one, but
                                > as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)

                                Could you explain? I've heard of Sapphire & Steel, but
                                I don't know anything about it.

                                namaste,
                                Elizabeth
                              • KarenUK
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                  Sapphire & Steel was a sci-fi show starring Joanna Lumley & David McCallum.
                                  It was often quite scary & spooky, very cleverly written by PJ Hammond - who
                                  wrote the fairies ep of Torchwood! It had 2 rocking horses rocking by
                                  themselves on the mantlepiece & the thing I remember most from watching S&S
                                  as a child was the episode where a rocking horse was rocking by itself in a
                                  bedroom. I'd definitely recommend S&S to everyone, it's out on DVD!

                                  Karen (UK).

                                  >> Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far
                                  >> is the fairies one, but
                                  >> as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)
                                  >
                                  > Could you explain? I've heard of Sapphire & Steel, but
                                  > I don't know anything about it.
                                  >
                                  > namaste,
                                  > Elizabeth

                                • Herbie
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                    On 25 Nov 2006 at 21:39, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

                                    > --- KarenUK <nhbr22476@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far
                                    > > is the fairies one, but
                                    > > as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)
                                    >
                                    > Could you explain? I've heard of Sapphire & Steel, but
                                    > I don't know anything about it.

                                    . Sapphire and Steel was a unique blend of science-fiction and thriller. The series concerned
                                    two time detectives (played David McCallum and Joanna Lumley) who rectified time
                                    disturbances and their bizarre effects. The fact that they often used less-than-decent means
                                    to achieve their aims meant that the viewer never entirely trusted them. The series was
                                    intensely claustrophobic and theatrical in its settings, with the atmosphere of menace and
                                    unease being conveyed by lighting, sound-effects and moody music. The production team
                                    took the restrictions of the show (low budget, small cast, simple special effects, no location
                                    filming) and turned them into strengths. Direction was extremely taut with much use being
                                    made of cleverly composed visuals. Sapphire and Steel was use of the televisual medium at
                                    its best although it never managed to be properly repeated or sold abroad. After a sporadic
                                    four-year run the show ended in 1982 due to the high production costs, frequent unavailability
                                    of the two lead stars and loss by ATV of its ITV franchise. Little was seen of the series until
                                    its home video release in 1992, when highly respectable reviews and sales of the tapes
                                    showed that the stories were still just as fresh and imaginative as they were over a decade
                                    earlier.

                                    From TV.com

                                  • deedeetee
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                      The one on the train station was best.

                                      On 26/11/06, Herbie <herbietheone@...> wrote:

                                      > On 25 Nov 2006 at 21:39, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > --- KarenUK <nhbr22476@... <nhbr22476%40blueyonder.co.uk>>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far
                                      > > > is the fairies one, but
                                      > > > as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)
                                      > >
                                      > > Could you explain? I've heard of Sapphire & Steel, but
                                      > > I don't know anything about it.
                                      > >

                                      > . Sapphire and Steel was a unique blend of science-fiction and thriller.
                                      > The series concerned
                                      > two time detectives (played David McCallum and Joanna Lumley) who
                                      > rectified time
                                      > disturbances and their bizarre effects. The fact that they often used
                                      > less-than-decent means
                                      > to achieve their aims meant that the viewer never entirely trusted them.
                                      > The series was
                                      > intensely claustrophobic and theatrical in its settings, with the
                                      > atmosphere of menace and
                                      > unease being conveyed by lighting, sound-effects and moody music. The
                                      > production team
                                      > took the restrictions of the show (low budget, small cast, simple special
                                      > effects, no location
                                      > filming) and turned them into strengths. Direction was extremely taut with
                                      > much use being
                                      > made of cleverly composed visuals. Sapphire and Steel was use of the
                                      > televisual medium at
                                      > its best although it never managed to be properly repeated or sold abroad.
                                      > After a sporadic
                                      > four-year run the show ended in 1982 due to the high production costs,
                                      > frequent unavailability
                                      > of the two lead stars and loss by ATV of its ITV franchise. Little was
                                      > seen of the series until
                                      > its home video release in 1992, when highly respectable reviews and sales
                                      > of the tapes
                                      > showed that the stories were still just as fresh and imaginative as they
                                      > were over a decade
                                      > earlier.
                                      >
                                      > From TV.com

                                    • Noctaire
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                        The episode was interesting for the ongoing ploat in that it was
                                        strictly terrestrial. Sort of stating that not all strange and extreme
                                        things come from another world/dimension/etc but that mankind is just
                                        as bad as anything coming through the rift. Likewise, one could assume
                                        the other perspective -- not all things coming through the rift are
                                        necessarily bad.

                                        All in all, I liked the episode. I have to wonder though -- why is it
                                        that the typical, modern cannibal always lives in a small village has
                                        REALLY bad teeth and grammar, and usually resembles something from the
                                        deep southern/backwoods US? This is a UK show and yet it demonstrates
                                        the universality of this stereotype (at least in the west).
                                        Hmmmm.... :)

                                        Haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I do hope it sticks to the
                                        extraterrestrial/sci-fi thread.
                                      • Noctaire
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                          Re: Gwen-Owen

                                          Anyone who's been in a field like police work could see this coming a
                                          mile away. There are some things you just can't share with your
                                          significant other if they haven't experienced it in some capacity.
                                          When you find someone to bond with over it, depending on the nature of
                                          the person, physical intimacy can and will quickly develop. I don't
                                          care for it, I'd have rather seen her single and without a happy life
                                          (especially after all they did in episode 4 with the ghost machine,
                                          showing how much in love she was with her boyfriend, how well they fit,
                                          and so forth).
                                        • Keith A. Glass
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                            I've got this sneaking suspicion that Gwen's boyfriend either dies, due to
                                            TORCHWOOD, or something equally un-recoverable.

                                            Mind you, this is prior to viewing "Greeks Bearing Gifts", it's downloading
                                            now <G>

                                            _____

                                            Anyone who's been in a field like police work could see this coming a
                                            mile away. There are some things you just can't share with your
                                            significant other if they haven't experienced it in some capacity.
                                            When you find someone to bond with over it, depending on the nature of
                                            the person, physical intimacy can and will quickly develop. I don't
                                            care for it, I'd have rather seen her single and without a happy life
                                            (especially after all they did in episode 4 with the ghost machine,
                                            showing how much in love she was with her boyfriend, how well they fit,
                                            and so forth).

                                            .
                                            HYPERLINK
                                            "http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=16393340/grpspId=1705036464/msgI
                                            d=314/stime=1164591259/nc1=3848443/nc2=3848525/nc3=3"

                                            11:30 AM

                                          • Patrick Power
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                              I thought ti was scarier than any ep to date. A little bit of The Hills Have Eyes, The Lottery, and Dark Secret of Harvest home in feel.

                                              KarenUK <nhbr22476@...> wrote: I thought it made it much more chilling that the killers were actually
                                              HUMANS & NOT aliens!
                                              Karen (UK).

                                              >I did not like it at all. I thought there was at least going to be a
                                              > sci-fi/alien connection somewhere, but there was not. It was just a
                                              > waste of a Torchwood episode. The only interesting part was seeing what
                                              > happened with Gwen right at the end.
                                              >
                                              > Now, have you all seen it so we can discuss without risking spoilers?
                                              >
                                              > David

                                              Patrick Power

                                            • Patrick Power
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                                My favorite so far is Ghost Machine.

                                                KarenUK <nhbr22476@...> wrote: Yes, it was excellent although my favourite so far is the fairies one, but
                                                as I love Sapphire & Steel, that helped ;-)
                                                Karen (UK).

                                                > No Spoilers!
                                                >
                                                > Finally things are starting to come together! I think this was the best
                                                > episode so far. Taut, supenseful,eerie, the pace was good and the
                                                > setting was excellent.
                                                >
                                                > I don't normally like this kind of subject matter but it was well
                                                > handled and the twists were excellent, both regarding the nature of the
                                                > beast and...well, did anyone really see that last one coming?
                                                >
                                                > Bill Moore

                                                Patrick Power

                                              • Patrick Power
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 26, 2006
                                                  SPOILER SPACE

                                                  SPOILER SPACE

                                                  I don't think we are supposed to like Owen. I have a feeling he is the character who is supposed to go through some growth this season until he becomes someone we CAN like. The relationship with Gwen could be the start of that. He seemed pretty tender towrds her at the end.

                                                  Orchid <ironorchid@...> wrote:
                                                  I could see it coming a mile off. There was no way she was going to be able to keep the relatonship going with her other half, not being able to confide in him when she gets home after a hard day battling all sorts of horrors, and not having someone that understands what she is going through.

                                                  Jack's sexual orientation being on the ambiguous side and Ianto just being wet, there really wasn't anyone left other than Owen. He is possibly using her, but on the other hand we may all be wrong about him, he seemed very concerned and protective of her when she was shot, maybe he needs someone who understands, just as much as Gwen and we did see some attraction between them when they were trapped together in the Autopsy Room in Cyberwoman. I have a feeling his constant search for sex is compensation for not having that someone to understand.

                                                  Personally I think he has all the charm of a fruit fly and is the one character I feel nothing at all for, not sure if its him personally as an actor, or if its the way the character is written.

                                                  Pat

                                                  _._,___

                                                  Patrick Power

                                                • David King
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 27, 2006
                                                    SPOILER SPACE

                                                    SPOILER SPACE

                                                    After watching episode 7, I have learnt that Torchwood is set in the year 2008. It starts off in 1812, and then there is a reference to being 196 years later, which takes us to 2008.

                                                    Which would probably put the Battle of Canary Wharf (Daleks and Cybermen in Doctor Who) in either early 2008 or sometime in 2007.

                                                    At the end of episode 7 we see a trailer for episode 8, in which it appears they will be using the resurrection glove from the first episode, including a clip using the glove to resurrect Suzie -- hence the reference to Suzie (Indira Varma) being in episode 8.

                                                    David
                                                  • David King
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 27, 2006
                                                      Nothing has been said yet as to Gwen's boyfriend, maybe they have split
                                                      up, maybe she still lives with him but is having an affair with Owen.

                                                      Also, anyone else noticed that their names very similar? G/O-wen. I saw
                                                      that early on and thought that the two might get together sometime.

                                                      I suspect though that Gwen's (ex-) boyfriend is not going to be in it
                                                      much, his character does not add much to the show anyway. Or maybe there
                                                      will be a strange twist and we find out that he was an alien after all,
                                                      when he comes back to the show and gets into Torchwood base, as an
                                                      alien... who knows?

                                                      David

                                                      Keith A. Glass wrote:
                                                      > I've got this sneaking suspicion that Gwen's boyfriend either dies, due to
                                                      > TORCHWOOD, or something equally un-recoverable.
                                                      >
                                                      > Mind you, this is prior to viewing "Greeks Bearing Gifts", it's downloading
                                                      > now <G>
                                                      >

                                                      > _____

                                                    • Noctaire
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 28, 2006
                                                        > I've got this sneaking suspicion that Gwen's boyfriend either dies,
                                                        due to
                                                        > TORCHWOOD, or something equally un-recoverable.
                                                        >
                                                        > Mind you, this is prior to viewing "Greeks Bearing Gifts", it's
                                                        downloading
                                                        > now <G>

                                                        LOL Not this time, but I'll wager you're not far off. It would be a
                                                        very useful resolution for the whole thing. Something like....

                                                        Gwen is called out on a Torchwood mission. Out of concern and a
                                                        suspicion that she might be fooling around on him, he decides to
                                                        follow her. He gets to the site and is either killed outright or is
                                                        somehow taken over/abducted by an alien and later killed.

                                                        They could also have him find out about Gwen & Owen, then have THAT
                                                        lead him to getting killed via a Torchwood related mission.

                                                        OR, maybe all this happens and the BF is ABOUT to be eaten by an
                                                        alien (or consumed, or whatever) and, in an act of redemption, Owen
                                                        attempts to save him but BOTH get killed and all in front of Gwen.
                                                        That gets rid of the BF, eliminates the Gwen-Owen relationship,
                                                        redeems Owen, and leaves Gwen holding all the excess baggage for
                                                        resolution in later episodes. Gives her character greater
                                                        dimension. ;)

                                                        Any way ya cut it, eventually, the BF has to go and the Gwen-Owen
                                                        relationship has to come to a tragic end. It's just the nature of
                                                        such things. :P
                                                      • Dirty Dingus McGee
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Nov 28, 2006
                                                          I'd say that the boy friend would be forced to "save
                                                          the day" some how after finding that Gwen is
                                                          cheating.. thus causing Gwen more pain, seems to be a
                                                          RTD theme.
                                                          --- Noctaire <noctaire@...> wrote:

                                                          > > I've got this sneaking suspicion that Gwen's
                                                          > boyfriend either dies,
                                                          > due to
                                                          > > TORCHWOOD, or something equally un-recoverable.
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Mind you, this is prior to viewing "Greeks Bearing
                                                          > Gifts", it's
                                                          > downloading
                                                          > > now <G>
                                                          >
                                                          > LOL Not this time, but I'll wager you're not far
                                                          > off. It would be a
                                                          > very useful resolution for the whole thing.
                                                          > Something like....
                                                          >
                                                          > Gwen is called out on a Torchwood mission. Out of
                                                          > concern and a
                                                          > suspicion that she might be fooling around on him,
                                                          > he decides to
                                                          > follow her. He gets to the site and is either
                                                          > killed outright or is
                                                          > somehow taken over/abducted by an alien and later
                                                          > killed.
                                                          >
                                                          > They could also have him find out about Gwen & Owen,
                                                          > then have THAT
                                                          > lead him to getting killed via a Torchwood related
                                                          > mission.
                                                          >
                                                          > OR, maybe all this happens and the BF is ABOUT to be
                                                          > eaten by an
                                                          > alien (or consumed, or whatever) and, in an act of
                                                          > redemption, Owen
                                                          > attempts to save him but BOTH get killed and all in
                                                          > front of Gwen.
                                                          > That gets rid of the BF, eliminates the Gwen-Owen
                                                          > relationship,
                                                          > redeems Owen, and leaves Gwen holding all the excess
                                                          > baggage for
                                                          > resolution in later episodes. Gives her character
                                                          > greater
                                                          > dimension. ;)
                                                          >
                                                          > Any way ya cut it, eventually, the BF has to go and
                                                          > the Gwen-Owen
                                                          > relationship has to come to a tragic end. It's just
                                                          > the nature of
                                                          > such things. :P

                                                          Cheap talk?
                                                          http://voice.yahoo.com