Re: [torchwood] Re: Gwen's boyfriend

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
      On 04/01/2008, Nan Ellman <nancy.ellman@...> wrote:

      > You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain
      > that he
      > spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect?

      ***The article wasn't about him, per se. It was about children's saturday
      morning tv of which he still a minor part. I was there to find his
      perspective on the culture of saturday morning tv. It wasn't supposed to be
      an ego piece. The others I interviewed were far more interested in putting
      forward the history and were aware of their place within that history. He
      treated it as a promotion opportunity.

      > It seems the
      > worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

      ***quite possibly, yes.

      I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
      > tremendously successful on stage.

      ***Yes but outside of theatre, yer average Joe on the street wouldn't have a
      > clue who he was until he appeared on Doctor Who. Some folks of my age or
      > around that age might remember him for being sacked from Live and Kicking
      > (or was it Saturday Superstore??) for appearing in a nude photo-shoot for a
      > gay magazine, that was - stupidly - a big deal in the press at the time, but
      > otherwise he was pretty much unknown here outside of London theatre circles.
      > The only time I recall seeing him on TV between his saturday morning
      > programme and Who was in an article about a Lloyd Webber musical which he
      > was starring in (possibly sunset boulevard)

      I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
      > to affect my opinion of him.

      ***Nor was that the intention. I'd be somewhat horrified if you instantly

      --
      > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

    • janicesheinbaum
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
        --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch! I didn't mean to start
        any rows. I value all of your insights, but let's live and let live
        and drop this now before things get nasty.
      • Will Vigar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
          On 04/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

          > --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch!

          ***Oh they aren't in a bunch :-) I was merely clarifying a few things.

          ****Well....there's a difference between discourse and rowing. I was