Re: [torchwood] Re: Gwen's boyfriend

  • Nan Ellman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
      You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain that he
      spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect? It seems the
      worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

      I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
      tremendously successful on stage.

      I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
      to affect my opinion of him.

      Nan Ellman

      On Jan 3, 2008 4:02 AM, Will Vigar <immanion@...> wrote:

      > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...<janicesheinbaum%40hotmail.com>>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com><torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kylie
      >
      > > Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend, Rhys.
      > > >

      > > The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
      > > actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a pedistal.
      > > The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to hang
      > > out with on a Sat. afternoon.
      > >

      > ***Well now....here's a tale. Many, many moons ago I worked for the BBC
      > and
      > > was doing an article on Saturday morning TV for the programme I worked
      > for.
      > > Barrowman was co-presenting a Saturday Morning TV show at the time and -
      > > curse my failing memory - I can't remember what it was called (Live and
      > > Kicking?) Anyway, I got to hang out with him for Saturday afternoon. I
      > > have to be honest and say that, charming though he was, he was
      > incredibly
      > > self-centred, egotistical and everything you wanted to discuss descended
      > > into 'Me, me ,me - aren't I fantastic, see how wonderful I am, look at
      > me,
      > > look at me, look at me" and it got tiresome. Quickly.
      > >

      > I would hope this was the excitement of youth (I mean this was 20 years
      > > ago!) and that he's calmed down a bit since then. Thing is, I do think
      > he's
      > > very talented and absolutely respect him as an artiste. I've seen him
      > many
      > > times on stage and wonder why he star didn't ascend faster...but
      > honestly he
      > > was a bit of a jerk back then....
      > >

      > --
      > > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

    • Will Vigar
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
        On 04/01/2008, Nan Ellman <nancy.ellman@...> wrote:

        > You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain
        > that he
        > spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect?

        ***The article wasn't about him, per se. It was about children's saturday
        morning tv of which he still a minor part. I was there to find his
        perspective on the culture of saturday morning tv. It wasn't supposed to be
        an ego piece. The others I interviewed were far more interested in putting
        forward the history and were aware of their place within that history. He
        treated it as a promotion opportunity.

        > It seems the
        > worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

        ***quite possibly, yes.

        I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
        > tremendously successful on stage.

        ***Yes but outside of theatre, yer average Joe on the street wouldn't have a
        > clue who he was until he appeared on Doctor Who. Some folks of my age or
        > around that age might remember him for being sacked from Live and Kicking
        > (or was it Saturday Superstore??) for appearing in a nude photo-shoot for a
        > gay magazine, that was - stupidly - a big deal in the press at the time, but
        > otherwise he was pretty much unknown here outside of London theatre circles.
        > The only time I recall seeing him on TV between his saturday morning
        > programme and Who was in an article about a Lloyd Webber musical which he
        > was starring in (possibly sunset boulevard)

        I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
        > to affect my opinion of him.

        ***Nor was that the intention. I'd be somewhat horrified if you instantly

        --
        > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

      • janicesheinbaum
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
          --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch! I didn't mean to start
          any rows. I value all of your insights, but let's live and let live
          and drop this now before things get nasty.
        • Will Vigar
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
            On 04/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

            > --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch!

            ***Oh they aren't in a bunch :-) I was merely clarifying a few things.

            ****Well....there's a difference between discourse and rowing. I was