Re: [torchwood] Re: Gwen's boyfriend

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008

      ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform some sort
      > of character assassination, but I'm not, really. I was talking to a friend
      > of mine who works in make-up at the BBC and I told her about this email.
      > She says 'He hasn't changed that much", but points out that he's vastly
      > different with people he knows well. It could well be that he gives what he
      > thinks people expect?? Although he severely misjudged what I 'expected'
      > back then :-)

      > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

    • janicesheinbaum
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

        > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%
        40yahoogroups.com>, "Will
        > > Vigar" <immanion@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Well, lots of us were jerks back in our 20's. Does anyone know him
        > > more recently? Don't want to let go of my image just yet ;)
        > >

        > ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform
        some sort
        > > of character assassination, but I'm not, really. I was talking
        to a friend
        > > of mine who works in make-up at the BBC and I told her about this
        email.
        > > She says 'He hasn't changed that much", but points out that he's
        vastly
        > > different with people he knows well. It could well be that he
        gives what he
        > > thinks people expect?? Although he severely misjudged what
        I 'expected'
        > > back then :-)

        Ooohh, I'm crushed <joking>, not surprised. Well, I guess it's the
        nature of an actor/tres to be a bit self-centered...confidence is
        everything and self promoting has to be the way to get ahead and all
        that garbage...oh, well, since there's next to no chance I'll ever
        meet any of them, I can still image <hee> Thanks for the reality,
        but I'm going back to my warped fantasy...hey, can you friend give
        him my e-mail? lol
      • Nan Ellman
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
          You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain that he
          spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect? It seems the
          worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

          I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
          tremendously successful on stage.

          I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
          to affect my opinion of him.

          Nan Ellman

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
            On 04/01/2008, Nan Ellman <nancy.ellman@...> wrote:

            > You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain
            > that he
            > spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect?

            ***The article wasn't about him, per se. It was about children's saturday
            morning tv of which he still a minor part. I was there to find his
            perspective on the culture of saturday morning tv. It wasn't supposed to be
            an ego piece. The others I interviewed were far more interested in putting
            forward the history and were aware of their place within that history. He
            treated it as a promotion opportunity.

            > It seems the
            > worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

            ***quite possibly, yes.

            I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
            > tremendously successful on stage.

            ***Yes but outside of theatre, yer average Joe on the street wouldn't have a
            > clue who he was until he appeared on Doctor Who. Some folks of my age or
            > around that age might remember him for being sacked from Live and Kicking
            > (or was it Saturday Superstore??) for appearing in a nude photo-shoot for a
            > gay magazine, that was - stupidly - a big deal in the press at the time, but
            > otherwise he was pretty much unknown here outside of London theatre circles.
            > The only time I recall seeing him on TV between his saturday morning
            > programme and Who was in an article about a Lloyd Webber musical which he
            > was starring in (possibly sunset boulevard)

            I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
            > to affect my opinion of him.

            ***Nor was that the intention. I'd be somewhat horrified if you instantly

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
              --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch! I didn't mean to start
              any rows. I value all of your insights, but let's live and let live
              and drop this now before things get nasty.
            • Will Vigar
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                On 04/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

                > --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch!

                ***Oh they aren't in a bunch :-) I was merely clarifying a few things.

                ****Well....there's a difference between discourse and rowing. I was