Re: [torchwood] Re: Gwen's boyfriend

  • Will Vigar
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
      On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

      > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kylie
      > Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend, Rhys.
      > >

      > The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
      > actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a pedistal.
      > The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to hang
      > out with on a Sat. afternoon.

      ***Well now....here's a tale. Many, many moons ago I worked for the BBC and
      > was doing an article on Saturday morning TV for the programme I worked for.
      > Barrowman was co-presenting a Saturday Morning TV show at the time and -
      > curse my failing memory - I can't remember what it was called (Live and
      > Kicking?) Anyway, I got to hang out with him for Saturday afternoon. I
      > have to be honest and say that, charming though he was, he was incredibly
      > self-centred, egotistical and everything you wanted to discuss descended
      > into 'Me, me ,me - aren't I fantastic, see how wonderful I am, look at me,
      > look at me, look at me" and it got tiresome. Quickly.

      I would hope this was the excitement of youth (I mean this was 20 years

      --
      > "A Knife and Fork in a World of Soup"

    • janicesheinbaum
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

        > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%
        40yahoogroups.com>, "Kylie
        > > Hewitt" <vive_le_roi1789@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > This is an article about the actor that plays Gwen's boyfriend,
        Rhys.

        > > The whole cast of this show just seems so friendly. We don't get
        > > actors like that in the States; their put on too high of a
        pedistal.
        > > The cast of Torchwood, though, they seem like people I'd love to
        hang
        > > out with on a Sat. afternoon.
        > >

        > ***Well now....here's a tale. Many, many moons ago I worked for
        the BBC and
        > > was doing an article on Saturday morning TV for the programme I
        worked for.
        > > Barrowman was co-presenting a Saturday Morning TV show at the
        time and -
        > > curse my failing memory - I can't remember what it was called
        (Live and
        > > Kicking?) Anyway, I got to hang out with him for Saturday
        afternoon. I
        > > have to be honest and say that, charming though he was, he was
        incredibly
        > > self-centred, egotistical and everything you wanted to discuss
        descended
        > > into 'Me, me ,me - aren't I fantastic, see how wonderful I am,
        look at me,
        > > look at me, look at me" and it got tiresome. Quickly.
        > >

        > I would hope this was the excitement of youth (I mean this was 20
        years
        > > ago!) and that he's calmed down a bit since then. Thing is, I do
        think he's
        > > very talented and absolutely respect him as an artiste. I've
        seen him many
        > > times on stage and wonder why he star didn't ascend faster...but
        honestly he
        > > was a bit of a jerk back then....

        Well, lots of us were jerks back in our 20's. Does anyone know him
        more recently? Don't want to let go of my image just yet ;)
      • Will Vigar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008

          ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform some sort

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
            --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com, "Will Vigar" <immanion@...> wrote:

            > On 03/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In torchwood@yahoogroups.com <torchwood%
            40yahoogroups.com>, "Will
            > > Vigar" <immanion@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, lots of us were jerks back in our 20's. Does anyone know him
            > > more recently? Don't want to let go of my image just yet ;)
            > >

            > ****haha :-D Well, I know it looks like I'm trying to perform
            some sort
            > > of character assassination, but I'm not, really. I was talking
            to a friend
            > > of mine who works in make-up at the BBC and I told her about this
            email.
            > > She says 'He hasn't changed that much", but points out that he's
            vastly
            > > different with people he knows well. It could well be that he
            gives what he
            > > thinks people expect?? Although he severely misjudged what
            I 'expected'
            > > back then :-)

            Ooohh, I'm crushed <joking>, not surprised. Well, I guess it's the
            nature of an actor/tres to be a bit self-centered...confidence is
            everything and self promoting has to be the way to get ahead and all
            that garbage...oh, well, since there's next to no chance I'll ever
            meet any of them, I can still image <hee> Thanks for the reality,
            but I'm going back to my warped fantasy...hey, can you friend give
            him my e-mail? lol
          • Nan Ellman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
              You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain that he
              spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect? It seems the
              worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

              I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
              tremendously successful on stage.

              I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
              to affect my opinion of him.

              Nan Ellman

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                On 04/01/2008, Nan Ellman <nancy.ellman@...> wrote:

                > You were there to do an article, admit he was charming, but complain
                > that he
                > spent the whole time promoting himself. What did you expect?

                ***The article wasn't about him, per se. It was about children's saturday
                morning tv of which he still a minor part. I was there to find his
                perspective on the culture of saturday morning tv. It wasn't supposed to be
                an ego piece. The others I interviewed were far more interested in putting
                forward the history and were aware of their place within that history. He
                treated it as a promotion opportunity.

                > It seems the
                > worst interpretation would be that he was inexperienced with PR.

                ***quite possibly, yes.

                I'm not sure what you mean about his star not ascending very fast. He was
                > tremendously successful on stage.

                ***Yes but outside of theatre, yer average Joe on the street wouldn't have a
                > clue who he was until he appeared on Doctor Who. Some folks of my age or
                > around that age might remember him for being sacked from Live and Kicking
                > (or was it Saturday Superstore??) for appearing in a nude photo-shoot for a
                > gay magazine, that was - stupidly - a big deal in the press at the time, but
                > otherwise he was pretty much unknown here outside of London theatre circles.
                > The only time I recall seeing him on TV between his saturday morning
                > programme and Who was in an article about a Lloyd Webber musical which he
                > was starring in (possibly sunset boulevard)

                I'm sorry you found him unpleasant, but I don't see anything in this story
                > to affect my opinion of him.

                ***Nor was that the intention. I'd be somewhat horrified if you instantly

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                  --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch! I didn't mean to start
                  any rows. I value all of your insights, but let's live and let live
                  and drop this now before things get nasty.
                • Will Vigar
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
                    On 04/01/2008, janicesheinbaum <janicesheinbaum@...> wrote:

                    > --OK, let's not get our britches in a bunch!

                    ***Oh they aren't in a bunch :-) I was merely clarifying a few things.

                    ****Well....there's a difference between discourse and rowing. I was